PDA

View Full Version : Marlenstein bumper finally complete

Marlin
09/12/2009, 11:44 AM
Well, the old thread was starting to take a while to load, and there were a ton of side topics, so now that the major part is done, here are the final results:
Alright, the bumper is done. I installed grade 8 bolts through the tubing for the cross member for backup to the welds, better safe than sorry. I still need to run the wiring in the conduit, for permanent install, but I got everything wired up. Blue Halo LED around driving lights, LED turn signals and side markers all operate at normal speed. Driving lights and side markers on with parking lights.
I am mildly retarded and dropped one of the driving lights, and of course it landed lens down. It shattered, so I need to buy another set sometime this week. :( Maybe I will mount the odd one out on the hitch as a reverse light?
I will post video of the light operations tonight after it gets dark.
I told ya it wouldn't be so bad once I got it all black, and mounted up. I still need to build the cosmetic stuff to fill in the gaps. Maybe I will work on that tomorrow.
Check out the angles on the turn signals and bumper cutout, it all lines up with the fender angle. I also trimmed off the extra on the driver's side. Everything is nice and symmetrical now.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Bumper%20project/IMGP0540.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Bumper%20project/IMGP0541.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Bumper%20project/IMGP0542.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Bumper%20project/IMGP0543.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Bumper%20project/IMGP0546.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Bumper%20project/IMGP0544.jpg

VXorado
09/12/2009, 02:07 PM
I think it looks great Marlin, I really like the agressive "ARB" styled bumpers. The side markers are a very nice touch :yeso:.

Are you planning to use the cladding from the old bumper to fill in the gaps?

I bet PBkid will be happy to see this, he had posted a thread on ARB styles bumpers a while back.

pbkid
09/12/2009, 04:11 PM
well buddy... + and -....

i have mixed feelings, one thing, your grill is crooked...you can see it when you look at the joint of your grill and your hood.

1. im very impressed that this is how your first project turned out, for all you naysayers- it took the wright brothers over 300 tried to perfect the plane to fly less than 40 feet!
this is pretty damn good for a first experiment
2. i would not consider this a finished product... i think if you kept tinkering with it you could make it look amazing, you have the intelligence and dedication to do it, so dont give up before its a 'finished product'

but, it looks like it will do the job, and if you hit someone, they are definately gonna be the sorry ones...

Marlin
09/12/2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks Jack, the grill is crooked cause it is ziptied to the radiator support right now, when I do the sheet metal work, I will straighten it out.
As for the bumper, in and of itself, it is done, but I need to do the filler stuff and the super heavy duty skid plate.
As for the lighting, it looks like a UFO! It is so bright that I need to add a manual switch to shut off the driving lights, and I haven't even upgraded them to HIDs yet! All the lights are controlled via the factory stalk as of right now. I will add a switch for the driving lights tomorrow so I can turn them off if I need to.
Here is a short video of how it looks, I just shot it and edited it rough, so bear with me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyUh4Zxcj0A

Marlin
09/12/2009, 06:34 PM
I think it looks great Marlin, I really like the agressive "ARB" styled bumpers. The side markers are a very nice touch :yeso:.

Are you planning to use the cladding from the old bumper to fill in the gaps?

I bet PBkid will be happy to see this, he had posted a thread on ARB styles bumpers a while back.

Thanks, I was shooting for road armor, but eh, no complaints from me. I put a third and fourth coat of bedliner on it today, I definitely would not want to fall down on it...lots of flesh would be removed. As for the cladding, it is long gone, this way there is no going back, although I was flirting with the idea of ordering one of the generic front pieces that do not match perfectly and cutting that up. I am just going to bedliner it anyway. I will see how the sheet metal thing works out first.

tomdietrying
09/12/2009, 07:05 PM
I applaud you! Guys like you push the envelope and makes others want to aspire to do better. I guarentee if you hadn't done your bumper Orion wouldn't have done his bumper yet.

Thanks for making us better.

Peace.
Tom

Sprey
09/12/2009, 08:27 PM
I agree with the above, I think it looks choice! and very unique to add to a unique vehicle!!

And the fact when you come up to some big nasty rocks you want have to worry about killing your front bumper!!! :bwgy:

As you said once with the extra cosmetic stuff itl look even better!

Once again :bwgy::bwgy:

Marlin
09/13/2009, 04:40 AM
I agree with the above, I think it looks choice! and very unique to add to a unique vehicle!!

And the fact when you come up to some big nasty rocks you want have to worry about killing your front bumper!!! :bwgy:

As you said once with the extra cosmetic stuff itl look even better!

Once again :bwgy::bwgy:

Thanks. I like when you guys say "I agree with the above"...I have my view setup that the newest posts are first, so I have to look below!! :)

I am gonna finish up the final wiring today, look at the mount for the skid plate, straighten the grill a bit and see where the day leads me before 1030...

Ldub
09/13/2009, 04:52 AM
I am mildly retarded and dropped one of the driving lights, and of course it landed lens down. It shattered, so I need to buy another set sometime this week. :( Maybe I will mount the odd one out on the hitch as a reverse light?

I was thinkin' maybe mount it on the roof basket to prevent damage.

Marlin
09/13/2009, 05:00 AM
I was thinkin' maybe mount it on the roof basket to prevent damage.

Then I would have to tape the wires inside the door jam :cooly:

That is a project for like NOV or DEC, I have enough to keep me busy for a bit.

Ldub
09/13/2009, 05:04 AM
Then I would have to tape the wires inside the door jam :cooly:

That is a project for like NOV or DEC, I have enough to keep me busy for a bit.

I figured since you spelled your own username wrong in the title...
You could use all the help you could get...:cool:

Marlin
09/13/2009, 07:11 AM
I figured since you spelled your own username wrong in the title...
You could use all the help you could get...:cool:

No, I was going from Frankenstein to Marlenstein...

Marlin
09/13/2009, 08:28 AM
I finished cleaning up the wiring, straightened the grill, fixed the Zu emblem, still upside down...
I also moved my inverter to where the taurus cup holder was, thanks for the idea Bart.
I also temporarily mounted the VX plate to the front pending my permanent mount arrival. It fills in the hole very nicely.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Bumper%20project/IMGP0552.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Bumper%20project/IMGP0553.jpg

Griffin
09/13/2009, 08:32 AM
Can't wait to see it with the skid plate.

CrnCnn
09/13/2009, 09:22 AM
Well from the pictures it looks like you did a good job on the fab work for your first one. I wouldn't know cause I don't really fab stuff except for test equipment at work. I still think it messed up the look of the front and would be sweet if it was incorporating the lines of the original cladding. In the pictures the rhino liner gives an uneven finish that took away from what appears to a quality job. If we meet in moab... I don't want that thing behind me in case I stop suddenly...

Marlin
09/13/2009, 09:35 AM
If we meet in moab... I don't want that thing behind me in case I stop suddenly...

You would be safe, I don't want to break my driving lights...:)

pbkid
09/13/2009, 10:42 AM
If we meet in moab... I don't want that thing behind me in case I stop suddenly...

i was thinking the same think... dibs on NOT having marlin behind me

Ldub
09/13/2009, 10:54 AM
No, I was going from Frankenstein to Marlenstein...

Uhhhhh.. yeah...thanx for the heads up on that Marlen.

VCrossfan
09/13/2009, 11:57 AM
Looks tough, But needs the filler of the top 1/2 cladding, from fender to fender around the headlights and grill. my 2c

vt_maverick
09/13/2009, 02:58 PM
Looks great, like everyone else said, can't wait to see what you do to fill the gap! I think the aftermarket cladding cut idea is probably your best bet since you can guarantee it will fit OEM, but I'm sure you'll figure it out either way.

Agree with others that the rhino liner isn't for me, maybe flat black or gloss black over diamond plating, but the bending on that would be a serious pain in the *****.

Otherwise great job! :thumbup:

Marlin
09/13/2009, 05:06 PM
Looks great, like everyone else said, can't wait to see what you do to fill the gap! I think the aftermarket cladding cut idea is probably your best bet since you can guarantee it will fit OEM, but I'm sure you'll figure it out either way.

Agree with others that the rhino liner isn't for me, maybe flat black or gloss black over diamond plating, but the bending on that would be a serious pain in the *****.

Otherwise great job! :thumbup:

I tried bending 1/8" diamond plate, not fun at all.
I went with rhino line for durability and easy touch up. Powder coat is nice, but something that big and custom was gonna cost $$$. Plus it is hard to touch up. With rhino, it is vinyl, super heavy duty, 30 bucks a quart, and that did 3-4 coats on the whole package. That makes it super easy for touch up. I was considering rhino lining the cladding, but I gotta wait and see how bad sun fading is. Maybe after xmas if it still looks alright.

LittleBeast
09/13/2009, 08:45 PM
I would have probably just painted it flat black or satin black or even gloss black, then touch up would be easy and the surface would not be so rough looking. But to each his own. Once you fill in the huge gaps I am sure it will look pretty tough though :)

Triathlete
09/13/2009, 09:22 PM
No more dune jumping for you with your new anchor!:rotate:
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/09moab%20day%204/09Moabday4077.jpg

Thats a joke....sort of!:bwgy:

Marlin
09/14/2009, 03:50 AM
No more dune jumping for you with your new anchor!:rotate:
Thats a joke....sort of!:bwgy:

LOL, nice one, but remember, two hitch pins, 8 bullet connectors and I am airborne higher than ever before:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/Isuzu/IMGP0286.jpg

Marlin
09/14/2009, 01:52 PM
I figured out how to fill in the gaps. I am going to make a new bracket for the mount. Same way Orion made his mounting brackets, and some of the other Zu bumpers on the Planet. I think that will give me another 3-4 inches of approach clearance and fill in the holes quite nicely.

Triathlete
09/14/2009, 03:18 PM
LOL, nice one, but remember, two hitch pins, 8 bullet connectors and I am airborne higher than ever before:

Ah, yea...nothin like a direct injection of sand in your radiator and everything else!:bwgy:

Marlin
09/14/2009, 03:38 PM
Ah, yea...nothin like a direct injection of sand in your radiator and everything else!:bwgy:

LOL. My VX eats sand for breakfast.

pbkid
09/14/2009, 11:52 PM
ya, im sure your bearings and axles LOVE the sand you submit them to :)

Marlin
09/15/2009, 03:44 AM
ya, im sure your bearings and axles LOVE the sand you submit them to :)

Bearings? Axles? I don't think my VX has those?

Actually, the dunes are what keep the rust off my undercarriage:laughb:

Ldub
09/15/2009, 03:47 AM
Bearings? Axles? I don't think my VX has those?

You don't think you have front bearings?...cool:cool:

ZEUS
09/15/2009, 09:49 AM
Not that my opinion matters, but I actually like some parts of your bumper, and some parts, I don't. I like the overall look of the bumper... for a Jeep with some bulk and bling, but not on the VX. I don't like the use of sheet metal on a basher bumper, no matter what rig. I like the rhino liner but not as is with the rest of the VX. I like the idea of the lights you chose, but they should be recessed in an application like this, imo.

Did you really gain anything on the approach angle? You most definitely lost clearance in regard to tight trails at your corners.

Now, as for your fab skills... I think you did a pretty good job at your first attempt. The only way to get better is to see where you are at, so I do commend you on that. I, personally, would look at this bumper as a learning experience and nothing more. I would have already started working on an improved version of the concept instead of coating this one (if I had money). I like that you made an experiment like this easily removable in a fashion that allows for options, like other bumpers, or even a fishing pole mount and tackle storage system for beach fishing.

I give you 2.5 out of 5 stars, as is. ;)

Marlin
09/15/2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the actual constructive criticism. I am working on modding the bumper to bring it about 4" higher than it is now. After I tie off to a tree and yank this weekend, it may be back to the drawing board anyway:) But I have to admit, every time I slow down at a light, I think "What if I don't stop?"

CrnCnn
09/15/2009, 02:24 PM
what does that thing weigh anyhow

ZEUS
09/15/2009, 03:05 PM
I figured you would be tired of reading about my gag reflex to your bumper. So I figured I would be nicer! In my own defense, it's hard to give constructive criticism during the construction process of something that should not continue being constructed... :p

I thought of you while I was in Moab this weekend. I saw an FJ at the Shell in town. The FJ had a custom rear bumper in process - it even looked like he took it to Moab to test it. Pretty cool though; I wanted to take pics but he left before I could get to it. Round tube steel mixed with sheet/plate and those speed holes or whatever they are called. Looked much better than that stupid original design and it held spare fuel cans, a spare tire, and bikes! I could see the design concept being duplicated for a VX. It was the only cool looking thing on that FJ tho, so it did look out of place, but it wasn't even painted yet either... he is now known as F.rankenJ.ein! :)

nfpgasmask
09/15/2009, 03:55 PM
All I know is that I can't wait to get my shop completed. The way things are going though its gonna be months.

Bart

pbkid
09/15/2009, 07:00 PM
marlin, if you could figure out how to raise your bumper about 6 inches... i think it would take your bumper from a 5 of 10.... to a 7 of 10... honestly, it would fill that hole and give a more aggressive look

Marlin
09/16/2009, 09:36 AM
marlin, if you could figure out how to raise your bumper about 6 inches... i think it would take your bumper from a 5 of 10.... to a 7 of 10... honestly, it would fill that hole and give a more aggressive look

I am working on it, gotta get some 1/4" plate and make the new brackets and I am also going to move it in about 2". That will bring it closer to the VX, to remedy the tight quarters clearance. My goal is for the bumper to sit even with the bottom of the fangs. Then I can use expanded metal or whatever to fill in the last few inches. Maybe put some marker lights inside...I dunno yet. Once that is done, I can do the skid plate.

The weight is somewhere around 50lbs or so I would guess. I dunno, not so much that I need help moving it around or putting it on/taking it off. When I take it off for the new brackets, I will weigh it.

pbkid
09/16/2009, 11:23 AM
if you can get it up 6" and in 2" that would make it look SOOOOOO much more like an ARB style... i would honestly fill those gaps between the headlights and the grill with some nice big driving lights, thats exactly what i was thinking before, but it was too big of a gap before.

Marlin
09/18/2009, 05:07 PM
I designed some new brackets today to lift the bumper 4" and in 2". That should fill in the space quite nicely and immensely increase my approach angle. I just don't know how thick to make the brackets. I am thinking 3/8".
I would do it tomorrow, but I have been planning an event for 450 people that is being held tomorrow night!!! Once I have that monkey off my back, I can get back to work.

Marlin
09/22/2009, 06:17 PM
Picked up a 20"x13" sheet of 3/8" thick plate for 20 bucks. It is hard to appreciate how much steel that is until you hold it. I will cut out the new brackets tomorrow, it should greatly increase the cosmetic appeal of the bumper. Then I can weld up the mounts for the skid plates. Gotta find some grade 8 17mm bolts now.

It was cool to watch them cut the steel....with shears!!!! Their machine is amazing. Can do up to 10 foot cuts, through just about anything, and can bend as well. Gotta be hundreds of thousands of dollars...

Marlin
09/23/2009, 01:37 PM
Cut out one of the brackets today, took about 1 hour and 5 cutting wheels. My left arm hurts like a dickens, we got mandatory "flu" shots today, never had a flu shot that felt like a tetanus shot!! Probably some experimental hybrid H1N1 vaccination...

nfpgasmask
09/23/2009, 01:49 PM
we got mandatory "flu" shots today

What do you mean, "mandatory"? Are we living in a police state already?

Bart

Marlin
09/23/2009, 01:56 PM
What do you mean, "mandatory"? Are we living in a police state already?

Bart
:ot:
Most of the rights you enjoy as a civilian do not apply to us active duty military folks, and the way things are going...it won't be long until we are told what to do every second of the day.

nfpgasmask
09/23/2009, 02:07 PM
:ot:
Most of the rights you enjoy as a civilian do not apply to us active duty military folks, and the way things are going...it won't be long until we are told what to do every second of the day.

:laughing: Yeah, I know it was off topic, but you had me scared there for a second! I didn't know you were enlisted.

Bart

circmand
09/23/2009, 02:25 PM
but it looks like a good job and it is nice enough I could see why others might like it. I agree it would look even better with the gap filled in.

Triathlete
09/23/2009, 02:49 PM
HaHa...nothing was mandatory when I was in the Corp. but we WOULD have 100% participation:rotate:

Marlin
10/05/2009, 06:55 PM
I know its been awhile, but I have had some technical difficulties. I picked up some 3/8" plate at the local metal shop. Cut the new brackets, then tried to drill the holes. I ruined at least 4 dill bits, each around 25 bucks before I gave in. (Yes I used cutting oil, slow speed, tried drilling pilot holes, notta) Took it to the fab shop, they broke a very expensive punch that they use in a 90K ton press. They had to send it out to get it cut with a water cutter(expensive). No one has any idea what kind of steel this is, but their ridiculous cutter had problems shearing it as well. It was a piece of scrap they had in the back they got form the base. It took me about 1 hour and several cutting wheels to cut each piece. Needless to say it will be the strongest piece on my entire truck.This weekend I will finish the bumper lift, I have new rims and tires on order for the trailer in preps for the Hallowharrie trip in a few weeks. I added an electric jack, and a solar charger, deep cycle battery and inverter to the trailer ya'll saw in Moab. That trailer is now mine. I will post up pics when I am done.

Riff Raff
10/05/2009, 07:20 PM
I picked up some 3/8" plate at the local metal shop. It was a piece of scrap they had in the back they got from the base.

There lies your problem, MARLIN. That specific plate was probably leftover "armor-plate" from one of your U.S.N. vessels and/or gun turrets.:yeso:

vt_maverick
10/06/2009, 04:52 AM
Depleted uranium perhaps? :D

samneil2000
10/06/2009, 08:18 AM
Titanium?

tom4bren
10/06/2009, 11:50 AM
There lies your problem, MARLIN. That specific plate was probably leftover "armor-plate" from one of your U.S.N. vessels and/or gun turrets.:yeso:

Prolly so much carbon in it that it'd shatter like glass if you dropped it on concrete.

snowtrooper1966
10/06/2009, 11:50 AM
Unobtainum?
Adamantium?

tom4bren
10/06/2009, 11:55 AM
Marlintanium???

Marlin
06/26/2010, 09:04 AM
Alright boys and girls, I am fairly far along on Rev 2 of the bumper. I am following Orions concept. I cut the front cladding, just above the turn signal housing. I think I am going to do LED bars for the turn signals. Driving lights will go in the foglight housing. This is much easier than the original project, although not as flashy:( I don't think it will look as clean as Orions does, but his metal skills are far better than mine. I elected to use 2x3 1/8" tubing vice 2x4. It fit my brackets perfect. Got it all welded up, just gotta do the angles. I will post some pics soon.

Marlin
06/26/2010, 10:35 AM
What I did today:
Removed marlenstein rev1 (just to make Justin happy)
Labeled all wires for future hook up
Mounted front cladding from junkyard VX
Marked off line for cutting
Cut said cladding
Tacked steel tubing to existing brackets
removed brackets, spent two hours welding (had to go to lowes to get new welding tips...grrrrr.)
Took a break
burnt all hair off of arm while cutting notch and welding first bend
remounted bumper to check bend point and fit, took some pics, smiled...
on break again

Left to go:
3 more notches and bends
final trim on cladding
cut the ends and weld caps on(not looking forward to that)
Remove entire assembly, wire brush, primer, rhino line bumper and front cladding.
Figure out something to make it stand out. No hitch this time, I have never used it.
Install foglights, LEDs, and voila, project complete.

Then its on to frame and bracket restoration with POR15. I have to install passenger seatbelt with new assembly, few tie downs in the back, and she is ready to go for Beasley Knob meet. The next project will be to tackle the brakes. I am going to try the indy4x brake lines, if no improvement, gettin new booster. Not much left to do after that.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1064.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1067.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1068.JPG

Ascinder
06/27/2010, 03:03 PM
Come on man, you know you want to:D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/120/310451364_c5e5f49ae8.jpg

RamAirZ
06/27/2010, 03:23 PM
hahahahaha

Marlin
06/27/2010, 04:23 PM
Come on man, you know you want to:D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/120/310451364_c5e5f49ae8.jpg

Thats funny, we were talking about that at work on Thur. One of the guys just bought an 84 Chevy pickup, John Deere rattle can. nice truck overall. I told him to make some railroad tie bumpers, that would rip a car in half for sure. LOL.