PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems lead to fire danger.

PK
09/13/2009, 07:44 PM
I have recently noticed a few people commenting on a "click" and failure of the engine to turn over and start when they turn the key.
I have had this problem for about a month, but seeing that the car always did start eventually, it was put in the list to check at the next service.:_iamwiths

Last Saturday I had to drive about 8 miles.
Started VX and headed off as normal.
Pulled up at my destination about 12 minutes later, turned engine off and it cut out, but the starter motor was still turning it over!!!

Jumped out and opened the bonnet - smoke and stench going in all directions.
Starter motor cranking the engine, but no ignition so the engine did not start.
Happened to have my Leatherman multi-purpose tool on my belt.
Whipped off the battery terminal - silence - smoke started to dissipate and all settled down.
Touched battery lead back onto battery and away it goes again.

Tow truck ride home, and still sitting there while I work out how to grow a third elbow to get the starter motor out.:_thinking:_thinking

Moral of this story - don't ignore a starting problem.

Hope it helps someone else avoid my problems.

PK

psychos2
09/13/2009, 08:11 PM
I have recently noticed a few people commenting on a "click" and failure of the engine to turn over and start when they turn the key.
I have had this problem for about a month, but seeing that the car always did start eventually, it was put in the list to check at the next service.:_iamwiths

Last Saturday I had to drive about 8 miles.
Started VX and headed off as normal.
Pulled up at my destination about 12 minutes later, turned engine off and it cut out, but the starter motor was still turning it over!!!

Jumped out and opened the bonnet - smoke and stench going in all directions.
Starter motor cranking the engine, but no ignition so the engine did not start.
Happened to have my Leatherman multi-purpose tool on my belt.
Whipped off the battery terminal - silence - smoke started to dissipate and all settled down.
Touched battery lead back onto battery and away it goes again.

Tow truck ride home, and still sitting there while I work out how to grow a third elbow to get the starter motor out.:_thinking:_thinking

Moral of this story - don't ignore a starting problem.

Hope it helps someone else avoid my problems.

PK

You may want to check the starter relay .Sounds like the relay is stuck on. This is more than likely your problem as the starter does not turn on without this relay.Pull the relay and try connecting the battery. shawn

Sprey
09/13/2009, 10:47 PM
You may want to check the starter relay .Sounds like the relay is stuck on. This is more than likely your problem as the starter does not turn on without this relay.Pull the relay and try connecting the battery. shawn

Yea could be the problem on my old celica it did the old click thing as well, it wouldnt even turn over, but as soon as i by passed the relay it sprung into life,

I sold it before i replaced the relay tho so didnt change it.

Pk man lucky you had that tool !!. I always carry tools around with me in the Vx

PK
09/16/2009, 02:51 AM

Thanks for the tip Psychos2.
The starter is at the auto electricians shop being rebuilt if possible. Might have to get a new one.
I have taken the relay in for testing as well.
Sparky also suggested the ignition switch might be faulty and has given me some tips on how to check it before re-connecting the starter.
I don't think that is the problem because the ignition switch turned off the motor ok, just not the starter motor.
Anyway, will test it for sure.

Starter was a PITA to remove.

Regards

PK

PK
10/01/2009, 10:19 PM
Well, the old girl breathed life again last night.
New starter motor was required and took a while to get one (Gotta remember it is downtown Tassie that I live).

The old starter still worked, and could have been repaired by new contacts in the solenoid.
But it absolutely stunk of overheating and the pinion shaft had started to discolour. The sparky would not give any guarantees it would not fail in a week.
Seeing that it is such a PITA to change, I opted for the new one.

Have to go for a long drive this weekend to get re-aquainted.
Driving my son's 406HP WRX for a couple of weeks made me forget how much I love the VX.:yeso::yesb::yesgray:

Life is good again.

PK