PDA

View Full Version : Suggested maintenance

dietz99vcross
09/24/2009, 04:51 PM
Alright, It appears that I have an extra paycheck coming in October, and as much as it could be blown in thousands of different ways I have decided it is time to reinvest in the VX. So lets say I have between $500 and $1000 I am looking for suggestions on extending the life of the VX. I just bought a new muffler so lets say $150 is going to installation of the exhaust. As for what type of maintenance has been done, lets just say not as much as I should have. Oil and tranny fluids good, filters - check, brakes - done, tires - good to go. With 130,000 miles what are your suggestions. Yeah I know you could use a lot more info so just pretend nothing else has been done. Thanks - Mike

pbkid
09/24/2009, 04:57 PM
nothing else??
change F/R diff fluids, x-case fluids, timing belt, water pump, flush radiator.... i could keep goin?
thats already well over $1000, so take your pick, or eliminate ones that have been done

VXorado
09/24/2009, 09:57 PM
wheel bearings if needed and what Jack said are all good choices

WILLY
09/24/2009, 10:57 PM
Don't forget to change the blinker fluid and rotate the spark plugs.LOL :slap:

Riff Raff
09/25/2009, 04:43 AM
Hmmm, I see a Kilby Enterprises "belly-pan" skid plate in your future.:yes:

tom4bren
09/25/2009, 06:14 AM
At your mileage, I'd start with the timing belt, water pump & serpentine belt.

deermagnet
09/25/2009, 03:04 PM
Check out my maintenance record-
http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/maint.html (http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/maint.html)

The stuff I had done at 118K cost me $1800. The labor and parts were about $900 each.

Mark

crotchrocket
09/25/2009, 03:10 PM
dude, thats 7 oil changes a year!!! and your well over 200,000 miles!!!!! good work!!!!

dietz99vcross
09/25/2009, 06:24 PM
I appreciate the input and the fact that all the work will total over my available funds I am trying to decide the best bang for my buck. Would you do bearings, f and r diffs and the x-case OR replace timing belt and water pump? I'm good on the blinker fluid, but thanks. Unfortunately I stopped by the shop to get the muffler replaced and found out that the flex pipe is cracked.They were going to do the muffler for $45 (I already have the muffler) but now they are unable to locate a replacement flex pipe.

pbkid
09/25/2009, 07:05 PM
in order of importance to me....

1- timing belt and water pump
2- serpentine belt
3- f/r diff fluids, x-case fluids
4- wheel bearings

Ldub
09/26/2009, 03:12 AM
Unfortunately I stopped by the shop to get the muffler replaced and found out that the flex pipe is cracked.They were going to do the muffler for $45 (I already have the muffler) but now they are unable to locate a replacement flex pipe.

Are you serious?
I'd be awfully skeptical of any shop that couldn't find a new flex pipe.

I've seen em' in Auto Zone, O'Reillies, & other parts stores.

Summit Racing has em' in their online catalog.

Ask these guys if they can find their own @$$ if they use both hands...:laughing:

tom4bren
09/28/2009, 06:35 AM
Are you serious?
I'd be awfully skeptical of any shop that couldn't find a new flex pipe.

I've seen em' in Auto Zone, O'Reillies, & other parts stores.

Summit Racing has em' in their online catalog.

Ask these guys if they can find their own @$$ if they use both hands...:laughing:

True ... it doesn't have to be an OEM replacement. Generic replacements are fine for the flex pipe.

dietz99vcross
09/28/2009, 12:45 PM
Does anyone know the size of the flex pipe. The shop said 6" with a 2 1/8" opening, but that seems to long to me (unless that includes the flanges on both sides). I would go pick one up, but all the pipes I see are way longer than that.

tom4bren
09/28/2009, 02:52 PM
Sorry Dude, I don't know off the top of my head what size ours are. I'm sure the length does include the flange tho.

Edit:

I used the search function on "flex pipe" & had several hits. I didn't find any sources but there was some interesting reading.

deermagnet
09/28/2009, 03:04 PM
It's 2" even on both ends. I don't know what the gap is, but if the only thing handy is too long, the shop can easily cut the pipes to increase the span.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/vx2/515.jpg

Mark

psychos2
09/29/2009, 04:59 AM
I got mine at carquest. shawn