PDA

View Full Version : Yokohama Geolanders AT

ScottinMA
09/27/2009, 07:15 AM
After discovering that the Cooper Zeon LTZ in 285 60R 18s would not fit possibly due to my non OEM rims I researched tires for the past two weeks and finally decided upon the Geolander ATs in 275 60R 18s due to their aggressive tread design needed for a particular mountain pass in VT I use during the winter and tire longevity. My out the door cost was $840. Initial impressions are very good noting they are exceptionally quiet as compared to my Nittos. The 1 1/2 lift due to the tire height is interesting as I find that I gotta get the right leg up a bit higher when getting in and there is also the subtle perceptual change of driving a bit higher. I also discovered that people just don't walk by it when it's parked anymore which is fun to watch. Looking forward to the first snow storm.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/a.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/15973)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/b.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/15974)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/a1.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/15975)

ScottinMA
09/28/2009, 04:38 PM
Yesterday it poured on the cape and deep water driving was said to have occurred on the roads. Blasted through many a puddle without and problem and I was trying to push these puppies into something challenging. So the water test passes in flying colors.

cyronman
09/28/2009, 05:37 PM
I've had these same tires on for 2 years now, and yea, they've held up well even with 90% of my use strictly on asphalt. When they were brand new I broke them in on Triathlete's annual camping trip where we did do some moderate trailblazing and crawled over a few relatively easy trenches and logs and (big) rocks and stuff--and they were great.
But yes, quiet, and good on wet roads/freeways. (Yes, I'm in San Diego; but when it rains it DOES pour!)

BlackVXer99
09/28/2009, 08:10 PM
Firestone destination A/T are great tires, ive had mine the whole time ive had my vx since dec 07 (45k) and theyve held up great. I put about 70 miles a day highway on em and they still look great. Ive only broken loose once and that was in a gas station parking lot after an ice storm, slid about 15 feet but hooked back up. No complaints, they handle all weather pretty well. Just throwin that out there.

Greasemonkey
10/01/2009, 12:15 PM
I have these on mine the japanese version - we had the snow last winter and they were superbe - i had to use 2wd to even get the rear out a bit - in 4wd they stick to the road even in deep snow
cheers
Steve

circmand
10/01/2009, 01:46 PM
I have these on mine the japanese version - we had the snow last winter and they were superbe - i had to use 2wd to even get the rear out a bit - in 4wd they stick to the road even in deep snow
cheers
Steve

the deeper the snow the better traction no matter what tire

pbkid
10/01/2009, 05:15 PM
nice tires man...

definately an option for the new runner ;)

Riff Raff
10/01/2009, 06:59 PM
Yup, ScottinMA definately made the right choice given his situation with his wide 9" wheels and resulting rubbing issues.

What's so unique about the Yokohama - Geolandar A/T-S in 275/60R18 (31" O.D./42 lbs) is it is the "only" true A/T tire in that specific size!!! All of the other tires currently on the market in 275/60R18 are either H/T (Highway Type) or dedicated true Snow Tires (with soft compound rubber & extensive siping for winter grip; but very poor tread wear).

The Yoko - Geo A/T-S is very durable and has a very aggressive meaty tread pattern capable of chewing up any terrain and uses a harder rubber compound for very long tread wear. It will likely be the last tire ScottinMA will have to buy for his VX due to the expected long mileage tread wear of the Yoko - Geo A/T-S. In addition, the wider 275 series width gives the VX a wider mean stance appearance and at 31" O.D. it gives the VX a ground clearance increase of 0.75" over the OEM stock tire (29.5" O.D.). Well done, Scott!!!:thumbup:

ScottinMA
10/02/2009, 07:20 AM
Yup, ScottinMA definately made the right choice given his situation with his wide 9" wheels and resulting rubbing issues.

What's so unique about the Yokohama - Geolandar A/T-S in 275/60R18 (31" O.D./42 lbs) is it is the "only" true A/T tire in that specific size!!! All of the other tires currently on the market in 275/60R18 are either H/T (Highway Type) or dedicated true Snow Tires (with soft compound rubber & extensive siping for winter grip; but very poor tread wear).

The Yoko - Geo A/T-S is very durable and has a very aggressive meaty tread pattern capable of chewing up any terrain and uses a harder rubber compound for very long tread wear. It will likely be the last tire ScottinMA will have to buy for his VX due to the expected long mileage tread wear of the Yoko - Geo A/T-S. In addition, the wider 275 series width gives the VX a wider mean stance appearance and at 31" O.D. it gives the VX a ground clearance increase of 0.75" over the OEM stock tire (29.5" O.D.). Well done, Scott!!!:thumbup:

Thanks Brian

sleveritt
10/06/2009, 11:17 AM
Scott,
Did you buy those locally or use an on-line retailer? just asking for future reference.

Sam

SuperDave
10/22/2009, 11:44 AM
My first set of Geolanders ATS only lasted for 20K (99% on asphalt). Due to the factory warranty I paid approximately half price for the second set. No other complaints. Much better than the Bridgestones in deep snow.

ScottinMA
11/08/2009, 07:50 AM
Scott,
Did you buy those locally or use an on-line retailer? just asking for future reference.

Sam

I got the best price I could find on the internet and printed it out and walked into Town Fair Tire who will match any legitimate quote. Had them mount, balance and do a 4 wheel alignment. I'm really happy with tires.

Riff Raff
11/29/2009, 01:49 PM
Thought I'd :bump: this thread again for the benefit of "MILE HIGH VX". With your new MB wheels in 18x8.5" and your desire to minimize cladding trim, your desires exactly mimic those of "SCOTTinMA". You may want to consider the Yokohama - Geolandar A/T-S in 275/60R18 as your choice of tire.

Mile High VX
11/29/2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks so much. That's why it's great to be part of this community.

PHO2GR4
12/01/2009, 10:57 AM
Loved those Geolandars so much on my first VX that I ran out and bought the same ones for my current VX. Really good choice for our ride. Mine are the HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16).