PDA

View Full Version : front end problems

etlsport
10/26/2009, 05:06 AM
been noticing a clunk from the front end of the VX recently, mostly on back roads when im doing 40-50, braking hard into a turn and then accelerating through the turn i hear a clunk from the front of the VX

put it up on a lift yesterday and noticed theres about 1/8" of play in both front CV shafts, and probably a full 1" of play in the shaft between the front diff and the transfer case

has anyone else had problems in that area, im still trying to figure out where the problem is actually coming from, the transfer case or the front diff

the shaft between them does not move up and down, but i can turn it by hand quite a bit

the inner cups on the cv shaft move just a bit, the guy looking at it with me didnt seem concerned about that at all, just the play in the front drive shaft

crotchrocket
10/26/2009, 06:30 AM
is this dropping from 3rd to 2nd as you put the power back on???? if so i have experienced the problem

Gussie2000
10/26/2009, 08:11 AM
Probably the play has to be due wear/age eric.

Anyways if the mech had no concern after looking at the shafts then it couldn't be that serious.

Only thing that pops up on my mind is have them replaced.

SBC
10/26/2009, 03:24 PM
been noticing a clunk from the front end of the VX recently, mostly on back roads when im doing 40-50, braking hard into a turn and then accelerating through the turn i hear a clunk from the front of the VX

put it up on a lift yesterday and noticed theres about 1/8" of play in both front CV shafts, and probably a full 1" of play in the shaft between the front diff and the transfer case

has anyone else had problems in that area, im still trying to figure out where the problem is actually coming from, the transfer case or the front diff

the shaft between them does not move up and down, but i can turn it by hand quite a bit

the inner cups on the cv shaft move just a bit, the guy looking at it with me didnt seem concerned about that at all, just the play in the front drive shaft

Check the rear tranny mount make sure you didnt rattle the nuts loose or off the two in the middle........Might have to take rear skid plate down but do check that, Had this prob once cause i live off a dirt road that is wash board, I noticed a strange knock in the front just thought it was a shock that needed wrenching but sure enough the tranny bolts got loose.

Triathlete
10/26/2009, 03:36 PM
Those tranny mount bolts seem to work loose for many, myself included. I recommend EVERYONE check theirs.

etlsport
10/27/2009, 04:03 AM
i did just start driving through some REALLY crappy streets lately.. its very possible. where are these bolts located? near the cross member? ill probably try to get it up in the air this morning and look

SBC
10/27/2009, 07:57 AM
i did just start driving through some REALLY crappy streets lately.. its very possible. where are these bolts located? near the cross member? ill probably try to get it up in the air this morning and look

Directly in the middle of the rear cross beam!! Two of them about three inchs apart, Your tranny is directly over the top and is bolted to this or at least it should be.

JAMAS
11/02/2009, 11:13 AM
Looks like I am going to need to do this.

I have been looking through this thread and THIS ONE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9674&highlight=knock&page=1). I have just a couple questions.

What size bolts?
Where do I get them from?
How tight do I tighten them? (I dont have a torque wrench)
Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

tom4bren
11/02/2009, 01:09 PM
How tight do I tighten them?

Turn clockwise:)

If you have to replace missing bolts, don't forget to put some locktite on them when you install the new.

JAMAS
11/02/2009, 01:49 PM
How tight? Not, how do I tighten them...:)

I'm not THAT bad of a mechanic.....but close

I will definitely use loc-tite, thanks!

tom4bren
11/03/2009, 04:56 AM
How tight? Not, how do I tighten them...:)

I'm not THAT bad of a mechanic.....but close

I will definitely use loc-tite, thanks!

Sorry, musta still had that mental image of you in a dunce cap sitting in the corner.:)

Look here:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16413&highlight=recommended+torque

JAMAS
11/03/2009, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the direction.

I also decided to make it easy and just call our beloved Merlin to get the bolts.

$6 for 4 bolts and 4 nuts (in case the mount to the cross member needs one). I always buy twice as many as I need when the parts are cheap.

JAMAS
11/06/2009, 11:13 AM
I received the nuts and bolts that I ordered from Merlin. I went to install them last night and quickly realized that I need to drop the cross member in order to even screw that bolt into the transfer case. I also couldn't tell if the mount was bad (like in Ldub's case HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9674&highlight=knock)). So I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and have my local isuzu shop do it for me ($127.50 plus parts). Since they are dropping the cross member, I am going to purchase a new mount (from Merlin) and have them install that too. Is there anything else I should have them do since they are already going to have the cross member unbolted. I can't think of anything, but figured I would ask. I will most likely have them replace the crossmember bolts (crossmember to frame) for good measure.

etlsport
11/06/2009, 04:36 PM
could have them drop the transmission pan and replace the filter

Ldub
11/07/2009, 12:41 AM
I received the nuts and bolts that I ordered from Merlin. I went to install them last night and quickly realized that I need to drop the cross member in order to even screw that bolt into the transfer case. I also couldn't tell if the mount was bad (like in Ldub's case HERE (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=9674&highlight=knock)). So I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and have my local isuzu shop do it for me ($127.50 plus parts). Since they are dropping the cross member, I am going to purchase a new mount (from Merlin) and have them install that too. Is there anything else I should have them do since they are already going to have the cross member unbolted. I can't think of anything, but figured I would ask. I will most likely have them replace the crossmember bolts (crossmember to frame) for good measure.

could have them drop the transmission pan and replace the filter

I agree with Eric, do the tranny filter...:thumbup:

Also, Ive had my cross member off 3-4 times, & never replaced the bolts...:_wrench:

Just clean em up good & give em' a new application of loc-tite.

JAMAS
11/09/2009, 08:39 AM
I called to see what my added cost would be to have the transmission filter replaced......$350(total parts and labor with new transmission mount).

They basically broke it down like a transmission service, then subtracted the cost to replace the mount. So I get a tranny service with a free trans mount installation. The $150 its gonna cost me to purchase and install the new mount was pricey enough for now. Since the cost is so low on the bolts, I went ahead and ordered new bolts all around. Cross member to frame, heat shield to cross member, mount to cross member, and mount to tranny.

Also.....should I use Red or Blue Loc-Tite for the bolts?
--------
This is from an Isuzu dealer, service shop that I have dealt with (and loved) since I got my VX. So its really the only place I want to have anything done.
--------

nfpgasmask
11/09/2009, 09:16 AM
If you have a couple jack stands and a decent jack (floor jack preferably) doing all this work yourself really isn't too bad. I've done my tranny fluid/filter 3 times. It's messy but it really isn't hard.

For that amount of money (maybe even less) you could buy all the tools and supplies you need to gitterdun on yer own. :thumbup:

Bart

JAMAS
11/09/2009, 09:35 AM
If you have a couple jack stands and a decent jack (floor jack preferably) doing all this work yourself really isn't too bad. I've done my tranny fluid/filter 3 times. It's messy but it really isn't hard.

For that amount of money (maybe even less) you could buy all the tools and supplies you need to gitterdun on yer own. :thumbup:

Bart

I would LOVE to be able to do that. However, I dont have the time, energy, or resources at the moment. With work, my 3 month old son, and a bajillion other things piling up, I am better off just paying someone to do the work.

I definitely enjoy any time that I get to work on the vehicross. I just haven't had time. Maybe I can retire at age 30.

nfpgasmask
11/09/2009, 09:40 AM
I would LOVE to be able to do that. However, I dont have the time, energy, or resources at the moment. With work, my 3 month old son, and a bajillion other things piling up, I am better off just paying someone to do the work.

I definitely enjoy any time that I get to work on the vehicross. I just haven't had time. Maybe I can retire at age 30.

Oh I understand completely! In my case though, my cars are my children! ;)

I've been spending countless hours on my Trooper, learning tons, and keeping my fingernails dirty. :_beer:

Bart

JAMAS
11/09/2009, 09:42 AM
Yeah, its pretty bad when I get excited to find enough time to grease my sway bar bushings, or other remedial tasks like that.

I may even fill my windshield washer fluid soon. YAAAAAAY!

JAMAS
11/16/2009, 04:36 AM
Success!!!!!!!!

I replaced my transmission mount (including the missing bolt) and have fixed my knocking noise. I have also fixed a noise that I swear was coming from my rear shocks. Its amazing the difference one missing bolt can have.

While the cross-member was off I replaced every bolt that was involved with removal, with a new loc-tite-ed one.

I can FINALLY take corners faster with greater confidence of NO MORE KNOCKING!!!!!

EVERYONE SHOULD TAKE A LOOK AT THEIR TRANSMISSION MOUNT BOLTS!!!!