PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tires....again....

MSHardeman
10/28/2009, 07:55 PM
I know, I know; it seems like every other thread right now is about someone selling their VX or looking for tire advice. Well, I'm looking for tire advice (I'll probably NEVER sell the VX).

To get out of this as inexpensively as possible it seems best to keep the original 18" rims and just get tires to fit them instead of trying to find cheap rims AND tires. Right now the VX has a 3" lift with 285/60/18's on it and I like the beefy look of the tires. I think going with a winter tire that size would be expensive and from what I've read a thinner tire would be better to cut through the snow anyway. The original tires on the VX where 245/60/18's and they looked pretty anemic on a stock height VX so they'll probably look downright silly on a lifted VX. I guess for a relatively inexpensive tire that will only be on in the winter I could put up with a little bit of sillyness.

So, what size tire should I be looking at to fit the stock 18's, be a little narrow than the Grapplers, and be a little taller than the stock tires? I've been looking at the Blizzak DM-V1 (+/-$135) and I took a look at the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred's that someone suggested, but at $200 each I might as well just buy the Grapplers now.

I know you're all tired of talking about tires, but a little info would be much appreciated.

Riff Raff
10/28/2009, 08:10 PM
MSHardeman--- I see you waving a flag for tire help. I'll send you a regular E-Mail, and we can communicate off-line without cluttering up this site. Please look for my E-Mail in your regular computer in-box. Riff Raff:bgwb:

Riff Raff
10/28/2009, 08:34 PM
MSHardeman--- Hmmm, "HOUSTON, WILL HAVE A PROBLEM". I just tried to send you a regular E-Mail (not PM), and the electronic Postmaster said it has a failed delivery. Let's try it from your end-- please send me a direct E-Mail to my E-Mail address (listed in my Profile).

nocturnalVX
10/28/2009, 10:29 PM
I know you're all tired of talking about tires, but a little info would be much appreciated.

I will never get tired talking about tires! :yes: :clap: :dance:
Wish there was one thread devoted to the best tires for the VX. All sizes, all styles, even whitewalls!!! :drool2:

etlsport
10/29/2009, 04:28 AM
if you want to stay larger than stock, the easiest size to find a wide selection in is going to probably be 265/60/18.. the fortera triple treds are super highly rated, but the price tag is what steered me away from them, that and if your alignment is out at all, they will wear like crazy

id reccomend looking for a set of old tacoma wheels, or just regular steel wheels that will fit dependnig what you want to spend maybe pick up a cheaper set of "nice" wheels, 15 or 16 will be easiest to find tires in, and that way you dont end up having to swap the tires back and forth, you can just swap the rims, much faster and less $$ in labor

vt_maverick
10/29/2009, 05:28 AM
I will never get tired talking about tires! :yes: :clap: :dance:
Wish there was one thread devoted to the best tires for the VX. All sizes, all styles, even whitewalls!!! :drool2:

+1 - Maybe not on one massive thread, but I think the more tire threads the better! I may be looking for snow tires this fall also, so I wouldn't mind lurking on this thread. ;)

MSHardeman
10/29/2009, 08:13 AM
etlsport, will 15" rims fit around the brakes on the VX? I have found a few nicer sets of 15" rims, but I read somewhere that 15's might not be the best to put on the VX due to mud/snow packing into them on the back side around the brakes. Old wives tale?

I've been looking around for some cheap 16" rims because I figure that there would be more tire options than with the stock 18's. I have seen a few junky ones on my local Craigslist and maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get them. I have to switch my thinking because I've been looking for something pretty when, in fact, these are winter tires so they will get beaten up by the magnesium (sp?) chloride that they put on the roads up here.

Riff Raff has, yet again, generously offered his help so I will let the lurkers know what we (well, really HE) come up with.

pbkid
10/29/2009, 10:20 AM
etlsport, will 15" rims fit around the brakes on the VX? I have found a few nicer sets of 15" rims, but I read somewhere that 15's might not be the best to put on the VX due to mud/snow packing into them on the back side around the brakes. Old wives tale?

I've been looking around for some cheap 16" rims because I figure that there would be more tire options than with the stock 18's. I have seen a few junky ones on my local Craigslist and maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get them. I have to switch my thinking because I've been looking for something pretty when, in fact, these are winter tires so they will get beaten up by the magnesium (sp?) chloride that they put on the roads up here.

Riff Raff has, yet again, generously offered his help so I will let the lurkers know what we (well, really HE) come up with.

hey mark, i had 15's on my VX... just so you know. it was somewhat difficult to get mud out of there but i just crawled under the VX and pressure washed one wheel at a time from the inside.
i ordered these yesterday from 4wheelparts. pretty excited to see em on the new runner.
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/CartGenie/prod-656.htm

MSHardeman
10/29/2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks Jack. At least now I know that the 15's will fit around the brakes.

I found a few decent rims on Craigslist over in the Denver area so I may be altering my criteria for Riff Raff. I'll have to wait and see what he comes up with. If we/he can find some decent snow/winter tires for the stock 18's then I would rather not spend the extra cash on rims, but if I can find winter tires for a 16" or 15" rim a lot cheaper then that would offset the cost of the rims.

pbkid
10/29/2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks Jack. At least now I know that the 15's will fit around the brakes.

I found a few decent rims on Craigslist over in the Denver area so I may be altering my criteria for Riff Raff. I'll have to wait and see what he comes up with. If we/he can find some decent snow/winter tires for the stock 18's then I would rather not spend the extra cash on rims, but if I can find winter tires for a 16" or 15" rim a lot cheaper then that would offset the cost of the rims.

tires for a 16 inch rim are gonna be MUCH cheaper than tires for the odd sized VX rim... probably almost the same cost for the total package. then it will save you lots of $$$ next time.

Triathlete
10/29/2009, 07:09 PM
For wheels you might look at your local pic 'n' pull (or over on the Planet though shipping would probably kill the cheap part) for a Trooper or Rodeo. They have both 15 and 16 inch factory wheels. Leave 'em stock or throw a coat of flat black paint on 'em and you got some cheap, nice winter wheels. As far as size (I don't about size availability, haven't checked winter tires since I rarely have to worry about that white stuff:bwgy:), possibly the same diameter but in a 10.5 width. The narrow tire isn't so much for cutting through snow but it puts more weight on the contact patch area I believe (someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong).

Bee Sting
10/30/2009, 05:35 AM
I picked up an extra set of stock 18" rims from Bee Venom a while ago so that I can put snows on the four crappiest (best are 3 of Mr. Venom's and 1 of my originals).

Snow tire I am looking at is the FIrestone Winter Force 225x60R18 (Tire Rack$92 plus shipping). May be a bit small for a lifted rig, but not all that expensive.

pbkid
10/30/2009, 03:28 PM
For wheels you might look at your local pic 'n' pull (or over on the Planet though shipping would probably kill the cheap part) for a Trooper or Rodeo. They have both 15 and 16 inch factory wheels. Leave 'em stock or throw a coat of flat black paint on 'em and you got some cheap, nice winter wheels. As far as size (I don't about size availability, haven't checked winter tires since I rarely have to worry about that white stuff:bwgy:), possibly the same diameter but in a 10.5 width. The narrow tire isn't so much for cutting through snow but it puts more weight on the contact patch area I believe (someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong).
ya mark, thats what i did... i picked up a set of stock toyota ones (same bolt pattern) and then that opened up a world of options for tires... and they also have 15's and 16's.

you are incorrect about the cutting billy, a narrower tire has less likelyhood to 'float' on the snow (think about a snowboard at high speed and skii's at high speed, the board floats much better). but you ARE correct about the contact area also, they give more weight per cubic inch and therefore have less likelyhood to slide.

mrtew
11/01/2009, 05:00 AM
you are incorrect about the cutting billy, a narrower tire has less likelyhood to 'float' on the snow (think about a snowboard at high speed and skii's at high speed, the board floats much better

I think him saying the narrow one cuts through snow and you saying the the narrow one doesn't float on the snow is the same thing.

...but you ARE correct about the contact area also, they give more weight per cubic inch and therefore have less likelyhood to slide.

Actually I believe the contact patch is the same size no matter how wide or narrow the tire. It's just the a longer narrower contact patch is better both for keeping the car going straight forward and for getting forward traction on slippery surfaces.