PDA

View Full Version : Aloha from Oahu! Tire TOD problem

Tazza
11/14/2009, 12:06 AM
Aloha from Honolulu. I have just joined the forum after reading and enjoying it for some time now.

I have a problem with my 1999 Ironman edition (74,00 mi)...when I got it with 57k, it had all 4 tires 245/70/R16 but different brands.

Recently made the mistake of trying to replace one balding tire with a 245/75, and got a lot of noise which I mistakenly thought was brake rotor, caliper, etc.

I likely compounded the problem by adding a 2nd tire with 245/75 size, with those on rear and 245/70/R16 up front.

At this point, I was still getting horrendous scraping sounds and a local mechanic pointed out that I had to have all the same size on a 4wd (duh, should have read the manual).

Since the 2 tires size 245/75/R16 were in almost new condition, I went to Sears and got 2 Cooper 245/75/R16 and thought that would solve the noise problem.

While things improved dramatically, I am still getting a scraping, rubbing sound, particularly on deceleration.

Had the transmission fluid changed (levels were fine), front and rear axle oil checked (levels were fine), etc. The transmission experts I took to think there "may" be an ABS sensor out of whack but don't have the exact diagnostic tools to figure out what it might be.

The shop owner has been reading Isuzu and transmission forums and has not come up with any definitive conclusions, but he did say that ALL the info he saw pointed to the importance of having all same tire size and even exact same pressure.

At Sears they informed me the recommended tires for the car were limited to the 245/70 size, that it did not show 245/75 as an acceptable alternative.

Anyone able to comment/confirm whether I HAVE to use 245/70/R16? Feel embarrassed even asking, I should have splurged for Four all new 245/70 to begin with.

Mahalo (thanks in Hawaiian) for any insights/advice you folks can provide.

Tazza

Sprey
11/14/2009, 12:34 AM
I run a 265/75/16 and my Tod is fine. So you dont not have to have just 245/70/16. But yes the tire sizes all have to be the same.

This scraping noise? where in the car is it coming from.

Someone else on here will chime in and answer your queries im not much help:o

Ldub
11/14/2009, 12:54 AM
If it were me, I'd go get two more tires the same size/brand before you get very many miles on the new ones you have now. That'll elimainate the possibility of incompatible sizes due to manufacturing differences.

Unfortunately, when dealing with corporate entities such as Sears, going by the book is all they're allowed to do, thinking outside the box is not encouraged, CYA is.

As stated earlier, quite a few around here are running tires larger (in some cases, MUCH larger...:naughty:) than spec'd with no TOD noise issues.
However, when you get into the larger sizes, the TOD tends to get a little freaked under hard acceleration, with the indicator bars jumping sporadically.

Also, have all the brake pads & CV joints/boots checked, & consider having the front bearings re packed. Chances are good that with that many miles, the bearings need attention anyway...:_wrench:

Good luck in finding the problem, & do keep us posted on what you find...:luck:

And WELCOME to the forums/VX addiction...there is no known cure...:dance:.:dan_ban:.:dance:

Gussie2000
11/14/2009, 08:06 AM
Hi tazza !

Greetings from the great apple & welcome to the family.......:yeso:

As per your exposed issues herein i'll start by taking the vehicule to a shop with a dyno machine capable of running all four wheels so they can listen to the noise & pin point exactly where is the noise coming from.

It's obvious that annoying noise is caused by a moving part.

Both axles,rear driveshaft,front driveshaft,drive shaft joints etc.

If your TOD was the 1rst thing to go bad you probably have to take it down for inspection,but again,take the horse to a local shop capable of put all the VX's four wheels on a dyno.

Sorry you going thru this situation with your horse.hope to heard good news from you soon.

Triathlete
11/14/2009, 04:21 PM
Two things you might want to check (in addition to all the above recommendations)...
Make sure the backing plate on the brakes is not bent and rubbing.
Check that there is not a small rock wedged between the brake rotor and the backing plate. Both will give you a grinding noise and are easy and free to cure.

tom4bren
11/16/2009, 06:43 AM
The rear tires MUST match not only in type and size but also in wear. The limited slip rear won't like you much if you try to run tires with different diameters.

Also, get down on your hands and knees in front of your VX and look at the 4 rubber boots on the front axle. Those are your CV's. They should be good if you're not lifted but check them anyway.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG1007.JPG

(The grey boots behind the shock)