PDA

View Full Version : For my fellow VX'ers

Gussie2000
11/15/2009, 02:54 PM
I got this ????? question for you GURU members of the best place ever...............

Do you guys know what this cylinder in black/white color does work for ?

Two hoses runs from this component which i believes is related to the emission system;One goes to the VSV ( vacuum switching valve ) & the other goes to the EGR.

My MIL comes one & since i bypassed the cylinder by adding a short piece of plastic tube to both ends of the hoses my light haven't come on since.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3208/thumbs/HPIM0222.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=16218)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3208/thumbs/HPIM0222.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=16218)

Any input are welcome.

Scott Harness
11/15/2009, 03:21 PM
I was wondering that about a month ago. The center white nipple got brittle and broke off.(must have been longer than that, someone had put electrical tape on it) I put a metal tube of the same diameter in it's place.Put the hose back on.No problem

Sprey
11/15/2009, 04:07 PM
Imma have a guess. Could it a be a Carbon Canister ?
Just guessing cause of the 2 nozzles shape etc.

Heck i could be wrong i dont even know what one on an isuzu looks like!

pbkid
11/15/2009, 04:32 PM
i dont have an answer but....

1- i assume that fluid doesnt go through it? or am i wrong? if so, what kind of fluid

2- if just air goes through it, are they vacuum hoses or breathers of some sort?

SlowPro48
11/15/2009, 05:17 PM
Two hoses runs from this component which i believes is related to the emission system;One goes to the VSV ( vacuum switching valve ) & the other goes to the EGR.

Sprey might have it as it does look like an evap canister but I think ours is actually in the back near the right rear shock. At least that's what I THINK had to be moved out of the way to get to my shock mounting bolt...

Are you sure it connects to the EGR? I looked at my EGR recently and don't remember anything but the exhaust supply connecting to it...

If one end connects to the VSV maybe the other connects to the intake and it's just an accumulator - i.e., an empty canister to accumulate vacuum and smooth out pulses.

Bottom line, Gussie - I don't know - this is just my guess...

Gussie2000
11/15/2009, 08:31 PM
Sprey might have it as it does look like an evap canister but I think ours is actually in the back near the right rear shock. At least that's what I THINK had to be moved out of the way to get to my shock mounting bolt...

Are you sure it connects to the EGR? I looked at my EGR recently and don't remember anything but the exhaust supply connecting to it...

If one end connects to the VSV maybe the other connects to the intake and it's just an accumulator - i.e., an empty canister to accumulate vacuum and smooth out pulses.

Bottom line, Gussie - I don't know - this is just my guess...

You absolutely right.I'm wrong;Actually the mentioned hose running to the EGR doesn't really goes there,it goes into a little port to the manifold.

To me it looks like a charcoal canister as sprey said,but after looking @ the draws on the shop manual it doesn't appears anywhere.Then i called merlin & he couldn't tell exactly what is that & what's its function. :confused:

I asked my self if isuzu added this stuff to justify the $ 30K for the VX back in 1999 :p

This cylinder doesn't run or stores any fluids.I think it's a purifier to avoid any flow of contaminated air into the manifold.I wonder if that stuff is saturated & needs replacement :confused:

Ldub
11/15/2009, 08:40 PM
Whatever it is, (I can't remember, or maybe never knew :rolleyesg) it gets abandoned during the S/C install...:_wrench:

Vacuum accumulator seems right to me.

Gussie2000
11/15/2009, 08:48 PM
Well larry,if you don't missed it at all then i bid the last dollar bill in my wallet i don't need it neither,so.......................................

Adios amigo ! :evil:

Ldub
11/15/2009, 09:17 PM
Well larry,if you don't missed it at all then i bid the last dollar bill in my wallet i don't need it neither,so.......................................

Adios amigo ! :evil:

You can always hook it back up if there is a problem...:yesgray:

pbkid
11/16/2009, 12:05 AM
You can always hook it back up if there is a problem...:yesgray:

i wouldnt be so quick to say that...... depends on what kinds of problems it causes buddy. (dont wanna be liable for electrical/motor problems that you cause ;) )

Ldub
11/16/2009, 12:14 AM
i wouldnt be so quick to say that...... depends on what kinds of problems it causes buddy. (dont wanna be liable for electrical/motor problems that you cause ;) )

Since I was talking about my application, that includes the installation of a supercharger, (in which case this part is abandoned) in relation to his application, which is normally aspirated, I was assuming that the "apples & oranges" comparo was understood...:smilewink

pbkid
11/16/2009, 03:08 AM
Since I was talking about my application, which includes the installation of a supercharger, (in which case this part is abandoned) in relation to his application, which is normally aspirated, I was assuming that the "apples & oranges" comparo was understood...:smilewink
ya never know......

sometimes the people we get on this planet arent the brightest bulb in the house.....but i have a pretty good feeling about gussie...

tom on the other hand....;)

Gussie2000
11/16/2009, 05:02 AM
ya never know......

sometimes the people we get on this planet arent the brightest bulb in the house.....but i have a pretty good feeling about gussie...

Yeah,i got you pbkid.....

So far so good though,i have that stuff bypassed & engine runs smooth as ever.

Anyways,i'm still intrigued by the function of that accumulator as how larry called.

tom4bren
11/16/2009, 05:59 AM

Hey guys ... lookie ... the Peanut Butter Kid made a funny ... God bless his little heart.:)

I guess I deserved it tho after the way I titled that one pic for Moncha's frame.:dan_ban:

BTW, I don't know what that canister is either but I doubt it would cause any damage to bypass it.

pbkid
11/16/2009, 01:32 PM
Hey guys ... lookie ... the Peanut Butter Kid made a funny ... God bless his little heart.:)

I guess I deserved it tho after the way I titled that one pic for Moncha's frame.:dan_ban:

:rotate::dan_ban::slap:

AlaskaVX
11/16/2009, 04:27 PM
I am 99% sure that is called the "EVAP can". I remember some argument with the emissions guy about it not being there after the SC install.

On the emissions diagram under the hood it is shown, and you will fail the visual emissions check without it. But as for what it does... I don't have a clue :confused::confused::confused:

sloop
11/16/2009, 05:19 PM
VACUUM tank part # 8-97168-883-1

pbkid
11/16/2009, 06:19 PM

hmm, we have a paint code of 123? thats a new one... must be as rare as the pearl.

sloop
11/17/2009, 04:33 AM
hmm, we have a paint code of 123? thats a new one... must be as rare as the pearl.

I'm keeping count of how many of these things I can blow up or roll, 1st a 99 blew up,then a 2001 rolled and now working on #3 2000 lives in Garage

Gussie2000
11/17/2009, 05:07 AM

You ar da man sloop

Gussie2000
11/17/2009, 05:12 AM
I am 99% sure that is called the "EVAP can". I remember some argument with the emissions guy about it not being there after the SC install.

On the emissions diagram under the hood it is shown, and you will fail the visual emissions check without it. But as for what it does... I don't have a clue :confused::confused::confused:

Well,here in NYC they don't perform a visual emission check,actually they don't even lift the hood for any reason but more likely the safety one.

pbkid
11/17/2009, 09:58 PM
I'm keeping count of how many of these things I can blow up or roll, 1st a 99 blew up,then a 2001 rolled and now working on #3 2000 lives in Garage

wow.... need to keep that oil level up buddy... and maybe drive a little slower ;)

sloop
11/18/2009, 04:52 AM
wow.... need to keep that oil level up buddy... and maybe drive a little slower ;)

99 = Oil was good Belt was bad, 01 = around a corner road was washed out from underneath and needless to say 100 feet later and about 7-10 rolls and some major whiplash all is good!! now it's just Car shows and waxing this one should last awhile