PDA

View Full Version : starting problems

Axelivan
11/19/2009, 01:54 PM
When I first turned on my VX in the morning it starts ok, but later after maybe 45 mins, when it starts then the RPM gets really low like it has no gas and sometimes turned off. I try changing the TSP, but I still have the problem. The sparks are the NGK platinum/iridium maybe one year of use. Any tip is welcome. Thanks

Ldub
11/19/2009, 02:02 PM
Starting easily from cold, then starting with more difficulty when the engine has warmed up, is sometimes a symptom of fuel pressure regulator failure.

Search "fuel pressure regulator" for much more on the subject...:yesgray:

Welcome to the forums...:yes:

Ldub
11/19/2009, 02:10 PM
This thread is especially helpful...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12021&highlight=fuel+pressure+regulator

Sprey
11/19/2009, 07:03 PM
Mine was doing this a couple of weeks ago, i also cleaned the Iac valve ( idle air control) and it seems to idle better now and i have only had the slow start like cranking over and the gas slowly getting it.

But yea id say Ldub is on the money

nocturnalVX
11/19/2009, 09:50 PM
Mine was doing the same thing recently. It sparatically die during start up, warm or cold. Even when it would start, it would sometimes nearly die out, it would drop to like 500rpms and it would struggle but come back to life, no gas needed. If I stepped on the gas, it would start better, but I would have to catch it before it stalled/died. I took it to get checked out at the dealer and they diagnosed it as a leaking intake manifold gasket. The expansion and contractions of the gasket made the problem intermitant (sp?). Hope this helps.

Greasemonkey
11/20/2009, 08:50 AM
Don't forget the coolant temp sensor - or the crank sensor both can efffect warm/hot running
cheers
Steve

Hiredgoon
11/20/2009, 01:24 PM
I had something similar happen once--the morning was cool, but not cold, and it started and ran just jim dandy. I drove it for about a mile, stopped it, turned it off, and let it sit for 5 minutes. When I restarted it, it died every single time I put it into gear. Restarted and re-attempted to drive it a couple times, finally got her moving, and when I got it up to speed the tranny was making horrific clunking noises when it shifted. Then it was fine, and has been since--no check engine light or anything. I took it in for a once over, but the mechanic had never worked on anything Isuzu and was a little bewildered at best anyways, so I never got a straight answer.

Axelivan
11/25/2009, 07:11 PM
thanks guys for all the comments. Those are very, very helpful. Specially the "do-it-yourself" FPR replacement. Simply great!! Thanks for been there.

Axelivan
12/12/2009, 04:02 PM
Man that was it!!!
The RPMs are now steady, no more starting problems in hot cranking. The pedal feels with more power. There was so much dirt inside. Imagine 125k miles on it. Wow, thanks a lot for your help. I use a single tool to the get to the back allen bolt, I'll post it in my profile. I don't know how to post it in the link so it can help others.:happyface

Gussie2000
12/12/2009, 08:25 PM
Man that was it!!!
The RPMs are now steady, no more starting problems in hot cranking. The pedal feels with more power. There was so much dirt inside. Imagine 125k miles on it. Wow, thanks a lot for your help. I use a single tool to the get to the back allen bolt, I'll post it in my profile. I don't know how to post it in the link so it can help others.:happyface

Great axel,i'll add to all this to change your fuel filter which can be a bit clogged if you haven't do so

Now go,have fun & enjoy that baby ! :yesgray:

Sprey
12/12/2009, 11:56 PM
Sweet! great news i also will be replacing mine as had another slow start the otherday, and hopefuly itl give me a boost in mpg.

Prob get my mechanic to order it for me and ill install it my self with the guides on here it seems pretty straight forward!

#%# No way im replacing it at the moment, over here our supplier for Isuzu parts is Holden they quoted $326 for the regulator saying it has to be imported lol. so yea no way

Axelivan
12/18/2009, 05:38 PM
Try at worldpartsexpress.com, they have it for about $50.00, check for the shipping, that could be the only thing that change it all. I paid for mine $50.66, shipped to Puerto Rico. Good luck!!

Y33TREKker
12/19/2009, 07:34 AM
#%# No way im replacing it at the moment, over here our supplier for Isuzu parts is Holden they quoted $326 for the regulator saying it has to be imported lol. so yea no way
:eek: Before you do that, just Paypal me the $, I'll get the part from wherever you want here in the states, and mail it to you.

IIRC, all I had to do was go to a local parts store to get my replacement. And I'd imagine that even with shipping included, we'd still make it in under that $326 mark. :rolleyes:

Sprey
12/19/2009, 03:58 PM
Cheers, at this stage weirdly enough id have no problems :S maybe my slow starting was a one off.

Tho my next problem is a torn cv boot.

Could possibly take you up on that offer tho, Then again, i wonder if our parts stores overhere have the same part, just not registered say under Isuzu. Might have to do some investigating!.

(Once again Cheers for the offer)

Ldub
12/19/2009, 09:02 PM
Cheers, at this stage weirdly enough id have no problems :S maybe my slow starting was a one off.

Tho my next problem is a torn cv boot.

Could possibly take you up on that offer tho, Then again, i wonder if our parts stores overhere have the same part, just not registered say under Isuzu. Might have to do some investigating!.

(Once again Cheers for the offer)

If the JDM version has the same fuel delivery system as the US version (GM Delphi) then you should be able to get a new FPR from most any GM dealership.

The US part # is... 8-17114-728-0

Sprey
12/19/2009, 09:33 PM
If the JDM version has the same fuel delivery system as the US version (GM Delphi) then you should be able to get a new FPR from most any GM dealership.

The US part # is... 8-17114-728-0

i believe it does well looks the same.

over here our Holden deal with Isuzu and Gm stuff so thats where i went through and they came back with the 326$ price for the Fpr