PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the exhaust...

nfpgasmask
11/30/2009, 12:04 PM
Has anyone ever had to replace their exhaust pipes (completely or partially?)? The flex pipe in mine is leaking now and I have a bad hissing sound coming from there. I think I might be able to just replace that section, but I wanted to check and see what others have done.

Thanks - Bart

Gussie2000
11/30/2009, 06:06 PM
Has anyone ever had to replace their exhaust pipes (completely or partially?)? The flex pipe in mine is leaking now and I have a bad hissing sound coming from there. I think I might be able to just replace that section, but I wanted to check and see what others have done.

Thanks - Bart

Hey bart !

You can go to ebay & purchase one for a reasonable price,actually i need to grab one for my horse pretty soon.

When i went to add the 2nd muffler coming from the passenger side i completely forgot that & the mech didn't had any with the right size :o

Yes my baby is mad with me :o

tom4bren
12/01/2009, 08:08 AM
Bart,

You can get just the flex pipe replaced. There was a thread about it recently but I can't remember who started it. Make sure you go to a reputable shop tho (didn't Rickshaw run into some problems recently too?)

nfpgasmask
12/01/2009, 08:15 AM
Well, I haven't gotten under there yet to take a look, but I was thinking I could just replace that section of the exhaust pipe. I'm not sure however. I guess I need to find a muffler shop and gitterdun.

Bart

deermagnet
12/01/2009, 09:33 AM
Lots of us have had this done. The flex pipe is expected to rust and fail just like the muffler. I had a shop do mine along with a new muffler while I waited.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/vx2/515.jpg

You could do this yourself pretty easily. Just cut out the old flex with a recip saw or whatnot, take it to a parts store and they'll see exactly what size you need. Take it home and clamp it up in there.

Mark

nfpgasmask
12/01/2009, 12:21 PM
Lots of us have had this done. The flex pipe is expected to rust and fail just like the muffler. I had a shop do mine along with a new muffler while I waited.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/vx/vx2/515.jpg

You could do this yourself pretty easily. Just cut out the old flex with a recip saw or whatnot, take it to a parts store and they'll see exactly what size you need. Take it home and clamp it up in there.

Mark

Thanks Mark, that is what I had in mind. I could probably chop it out with my Sawzall pretty quickly. So you think band clamps would be good enough?

Bart

deermagnet
12/01/2009, 12:45 PM
So you think band clamps would be good enough?
I don't know which clamps would work best. The parts guy will set ya up with the right clamps and get some of that exhaust joint dope that they used on mine.

Mark

tom4bren
12/01/2009, 02:34 PM
I don't know which clamps would work best. The parts guy will set ya up with the right clamps and get some of that exhaust joint dope that they used on mine.

Mark

This advice is comin from a guy who had his welded on.:)

Just kidding Mark (I know better than to question your advice).

Clamps work OK if done right but remember ... for them to work right, they have to actually deform the pipe. That's why clamps should NEVER be reused, they stretch during installation and weaken.

psychos2
12/01/2009, 06:26 PM
You will have to take the other side apart to so you can get the new flex joint in. 2 bolts holding it together. shawn

Ldub
12/02/2009, 12:33 AM
So you think band clamps would be good enough?

Bart

If you're talking about hose clamps when you refer to "band clamps", then NO, they're not strong enough.

You need exhaust clamps...:yesgray:

Any parts store should have what you need, but for visual reference...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heavy-Duty-U-Bolt-Muffler-Exhaust-Clamp-2-1-4-Set-of-2_W0QQitemZ370204575166QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_C ar_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5631e985be