PDA

View Full Version : Mods needed for Moab

Mile High VX
12/13/2009, 11:19 AM
Trying to make Moab this year and have never been.

What "mods" are needed to my VX to keep her safe?

Already have custome rock sliders and will be running 285/60/18 Nitto Terras by then.

Thanks for the help.

Marlin
12/13/2009, 12:00 PM
Trying to make Moab this year and have never been.

What "mods" are needed to my VX to keep her safe?

Already have custome rock sliders and will be running 285/60/18 Nitto Terras by then.

Thanks for the help.

That is all you need. Actually, you don't NEED anything, but if you want to run some of the more difficult trails, sliders and tires is about it. Make sure you get all your maintenance done, diff fluids, grease sway bar bushingz if you have added those, change oil, check all fluids, extra air filter if you run the original paper filter, it gets very dusty up there, grease the zirc fittings on the drive shaft.
Enjoy, it is well worth it!!!!

Triathlete
12/13/2009, 04:38 PM
All you need is mad driving skilz!:bwgy:

Seriously though, for the milder to mid level trails a stock VX will do just fine. As the difficulty level increases the more protection and clearence you need. Inexspensive bell protection can be had with the Trooper factory skid plates. Lift can be done relatively cheap with OME912 springs and t-bar adjust. You have the tires covered and the sliders will protect your rockers.
And then all you need is a spotter you trust.
Hope to see you there.

MSHardeman
12/13/2009, 05:22 PM
What those guys said. My first three Moab's where done at stock height with 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers, no sliders and the stock Trooper skid plate. Just took it easy, listened to my spotters, and didn't have a problem.

On a similar note, we usually do a caravan of VX's on the Monday of Moab. As those to our East and North head this way, they pick us up as they go and we all roll into Moab together. Pretty dang cool seeing that many VX's on the road at once.

Moncha
12/13/2009, 06:34 PM
As everyone has already stated; It just depends on what you want to do. I've run stock 'cept the tires and have never had a problem. It really is a matter of skills, then equipment

Mile High VX
12/13/2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the help...my dirt track/motocross skills may not be a match for Moab...but I'll bring them anyway...:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy::smilewink

Ldub
12/14/2009, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the help...my dirt track/motocross skills may not be a match for Moab...but I'll bring them anyway...:bgwo::bgwb::bwgy::smilewink

Knowing how to pick a line is always helpful...:yesgray:

You just do it at a much slower speed in Moab.

I'd vote for rock sliders & skid plates...

And a lift...

And larger tires...

Oh, never mind...:rolleyesg...:smilewink

As you can probably already tell, it snowballs really fa$t...:smilewink

pbkid
12/15/2009, 08:34 PM
my suggestion with what you already have would be the trooper skid plates and a lift...

if your interested in the lift just let me know and ill be more than happy to help you out. (i did mine on my VX in the parking lot of an apartment)

tom4bren
12/16/2009, 09:52 AM
The biggest mod I need to make it to Moab is a thicker wallet to pay for gas for a cross country trip. I prolly won't make Moab 10 but go ahead and sign me up for Moab 11.

Tom

Ldub
12/16/2009, 10:06 AM
The biggest mod I need to make it to Moab is a thicker wallet to pay for gas for a cross country trip. I prolly won't make Moab 10 but go ahead and sign me up for Moab 11.

Tom

You're in the books & on the list...:naughty:

tom4bren
12/16/2009, 10:28 AM
You're in the books & on the list...:naughty:

RV's already equipped with blender. We'll have chocolate monkeys at the trail head.

pbkid
12/17/2009, 11:27 PM
RV's already equipped with blender. We'll have chocolate monkeys at the trail head.

mmm.... maybe the trail end???? not the best to drink before wheeling.

Ldub
12/18/2009, 05:24 AM
mmm.... maybe the trail end???? not the best to drink before wheeling.

Yer no fun...:smilewink

A lotta trails are loops...http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/OSCAR_V_BABACOCK.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13722)

So, in theory...:naughty:..:_beer:

nfpgasmask
12/18/2009, 08:45 AM
The other thing you NEED for Moab is a camera. Definitely don't forget that.

Bart

Scott Harness
12/18/2009, 09:55 AM

Tom

Too late... You missed XI...:p This year is XIII... shoot for XIV
I think I've got my Roman numerals correct.

Ldub
12/18/2009, 10:59 AM
Too late... You missed XI...:p This year is XIII... shoot for XIV
I think I've got my Roman numerals correct.

LoL...I think he's talkin' 2010 & 2011...:smilewink

Scott Harness
12/18/2009, 11:20 AM
LoL...I think he's talkin' 2010 & 2011...:smilewink

DOH!!:mbrasd: Thinking to hard

SlowPro48
12/18/2009, 02:22 PM

Tom

I feel your pain. Fuel cost is what has stopped me in the past but if HR1925 "America's Red Rock Wilderness Act" is any indication, there might not be a Moab '11 - unless you want to hoof it - and I don't mean via horseback because apparently they would be off-limits too - so better pay The Gas Man and do it while you can!

Triathlete
12/18/2009, 03:10 PM
I feel your pain. Fuel cost is what has stopped me in the past but if HR1925 "America's Red Rock Wilderness Act" is any indication, there might not be a Moab '11 - unless you want to hoof it - and I don't mean via horseback because apparently they would be off-limits too - so better pay The Gas Man and do it while you can!

We can only hope not...but you never know if the greenies get there way.
Then we might just have to move the little gathering to the Rubicon!:naughty:

pbkid
12/18/2009, 03:44 PM
We can only hope not...but you never know if the greenies get there way.
Then we might just have to move the little gathering to the Rubicon!:naughty:

rubicon, arizona territory, colorado, texas..... there are lots of great places to wheel.......

Mile High VX
12/18/2009, 04:15 PM
The West side of Maui is challenging...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Triathlete
12/18/2009, 05:26 PM
rubicon, arizona territory, colorado, texas..... there are lots of great places to wheel.......

I have wheeled in Az a time or two!:bwgy:

pbkid
12/18/2009, 05:54 PM
I have wheeled in Az a time or two!:bwgy:

haha, ya i kinda get that feeling...

and you would be my choice of guide if i were to wheel AZ

Triathlete
12/18/2009, 06:08 PM

So, when ya coming?:bgwo:

Ldub
12/18/2009, 10:46 PM

Bring lots of maps...& GPS...& a crystal ball if you can find one...:laughing:

pbkid
12/19/2009, 09:22 AM
So, when ya coming?:bgwo:
i may be visiting from time to time throughout the next year or two.
ill let you know my friend ;)

VX KAT
12/19/2009, 10:11 AM
me too me too...I'd love to wheel someplace in AZ with you guys!

Triathlete
12/19/2009, 01:03 PM
Bring lots of maps...& GPS...& a crystal ball if you can find one...:laughing:

Hey, most people pay extra for the "scenic route".

Definately let me know if you are in the area...I see a Charouleau Gap run in the planning!:yesy: