PDA

View Full Version : torque on demand problems

Geo114
01/10/2010, 03:22 PM
So its been a rough winter and my vx has preformed sort of flawlessly. Its been through deep snow a few times and worked well. Today I went to one of my favorite resturaunts and when I came out and turned on my vx the "tod check" light was flashing. It also appears that my vx will not transfer torque to the front wheels. I understand this could be a sensor problem. Where are the sensors and how to I check to make sure they're working? Where is the TOD box and how do I make it flash a trouble code?

Does any know what the problem could be?
Thanks.

KRemo
01/10/2010, 03:52 PM
mine did that to it ended up being the power steering pressure switch

Gussie2000
01/10/2010, 06:14 PM
Hi geo !

Make sure all tires are well inflated & all are inflated at the smae PSI pressure.

The TOD flashing is common when the tires aren't well inflated & hope is that & not something more serious.

Riff Raff
01/10/2010, 08:28 PM
Hi geo !

Make sure all tires are well inflated & all are inflated at the smae PSI pressure.

The TOD flashing is common when the tires aren't well inflated & hope is that & not something more serious.

Good idea Gussie!!! I highly recommend using the "Maximum PSI" indicated on the Tire Sidewall Panel as your normal everyday PSI. By using the MAX PSI, it will give you the best MPG, best handling, and longest tire wear. Yes; running Max PSI will also give a bit stiffer ride, but VX's have a normal stiff ride anyways (it just goes with the territory). Try Max PSI (per Tire Sidewall Panel) in your tires, you'll love the difference in feel and response along with savings at the gas pump.:yeso:

Geo114
01/10/2010, 08:58 PM
okey dokey.

I check my tires twice a week but I checked them again and they're fine. Is the TOD system connected through the normal obdII port? So if I take it to auto zone can they get an error code for me? Are there certain sensors that generally fail before others? The Vehicle speed sensor is probably working cause the speedo still works and the car shifts smoothly.

If it is a speed sensor how much do those usually cost to replace. I can see them on the bottom of the car so I gotta assume its not to labor intensive to fix one. How do you tell if they're bad.

Thanks guys!

Geo114
01/10/2010, 09:02 PM
Also, the nearest izusu dealer is 60-70 miles away. I CANNOT get a ride back and I have work and school so it has to be a local mechanic (firestone, ect). I would like to bring them as much info as I can as far as what the problem might be.

Ldub
01/10/2010, 10:43 PM
okey dokey.

I check my tires twice a week but I checked them again and they're fine. Is the TOD system connected through the normal obdII port? So if I take it to auto zone can they get an error code for me? Are there certain sensors that generally fail before others? The Vehicle speed sensor is probably working cause the speedo still works and the car shifts smoothly.

If it is a speed sensor how much do those usually cost to replace. I can see them on the bottom of the car so I gotta assume its not to labor intensive to fix one. How do you tell if they're bad.

Thanks guys!

Also, the nearest izusu dealer is 60-70 miles away. I CANNOT get a ride back and I have work and school so it has to be a local mechanic (firestone, ect). I would like to bring them as much info as I can as far as what the problem might be.

search is your friend...:smilewink

using "tod codes" as criteria, I found exactly what you're looking for...:_wrench:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12939&highlight=tod+codes

Geo114
01/11/2010, 02:22 PM
Okey dokey,

managed to get a code today. Code number 14. So a front speed sensor. I dropped it off at Midas and let them know so hopefully it will be fixed soon and won't cost a fortune.

PK
01/11/2010, 03:13 PM
Okey dokey,

managed to get a code today. Code number 14. So a front speed sensor. I dropped it off at Midas and let them know so hopefully it will be fixed soon and won't cost a fortune.

Hmmm - around my location "fixed" and "Midas" cannot be used in the same sentence.

Good luck.

PK

etlsport
01/11/2010, 06:31 PM
Good idea Gussie!!! I highly recommend using the "Maximum PSI" indicated on the Tire Sidewall Panel as your normal everyday PSI. By using the MAX PSI, it will give you the best MPG, best handling, and longest tire wear. Yes; running Max PSI will also give a bit stiffer ride, but VX's have a normal stiff ride anyways (it just goes with the territory). Try Max PSI (per Tire Sidewall Panel) in your tires, you'll love the difference in feel and response along with savings at the gas pump.:yeso:

going to max PSI wont give you all those benifits.. better handling yes.. longer treadwear.. no.. it will wear the center of the tread faster than the rest of tire

gabilangabby
01/12/2010, 07:39 AM
at the bottom of the front axle u will find what looks like 2 blue and white electronic valves un screw... disconnect it and blow into the valves... and shake it around.. also clean the connectors. most of the time its just water that gets inside of them.

JAMAS
01/12/2010, 09:03 AM
blow into the valves... and shake it around..

That's how we used to have to fix our Nintendo back in the day.

tom4bren
01/12/2010, 11:26 AM
Geo,

On a lighter note: here's what I didn't do to fix mine:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16403&highlight=TOD+check+light

BTW, TOD Check Light still out so I still haven't done anything to fix it.

Tom

SlowPro48
01/12/2010, 03:53 PM
Geo114, don't sweat it - mine throws a Code 14 sometimes if I do too much sliding sideways in wet snow. In cold, dry, squeaky snow it's not a problem but if I go out and do a bunch of donuts in wet snow it packs the wheels, brakes, front suspension full of snow. For some reason the sensors don't like that and the TOD light flashes, the VX goes into 2WD and the fun really begins!

You can dry the connectors like Gabilangabby said and that will solve the prob immediately or you can just drive around in 2WD for a while and it will dry out on its own and revert back to AWD. I guess if you wanted to prevent it from happening again you could hose the connectors off with Caig DeoxIT or something of that ilk and then pack them full of waterproof grease. But then you'd miss out on all that 2WD fun - rear wheel drive w/LSD and short wheelbase is very entertaining! :yesb:

As far as the pumping up the tires to max psi goes - it makes the car FEEL like it's handling better simply because there is less sidewall flex so steering feels quicker, more direct, more precise - but since higher psi means less rubber is in contact with the pavement, roadholding is diminished therefore corner speed and braking ability are diminished. So if you define better "handling" as the ability to corner faster then, in most cases, pumping the tires up to max rated pressure is going to be detrimental to handling, since max is usually far above the optimal compromise between less sidewall deflection and more stick. Of course if you go too low then the tire rolls excessively and you're riding around on the sidewalls in the turns which isn't good for traction either. Go even lower and the bead pulls away from the rim and poof - you got no stick at all! :(

idrivem5
03/17/2011, 07:41 AM
I’m more of a lurker than a poster... but I was off roading last weekend and got the VX sunk at one point... water in the cab and all.

After drying her out for a bit... got her started and all seemed fine.

Then on the way to work yesterday, the TOD started the flashing and check light is on.

On a note the RPMs at idle are about 2.5k after the commute?

Can anyone point me to the locations (pix if possible) to the connectors for the sensors? That and the location of the TOD control box? I will try the code thread tonight and see what error codes it throws.

Thanks for any help.

VXorado
03/17/2011, 09:56 AM
water in the cab and all.

I would get the code first before looking through sensors- I go through water all the time with no problems. The TOD ECU is under the passenger seat so I hope you didn't get the cab too wet and fry the ECU.

Good luck

samneil2000
03/17/2011, 09:57 AM
I believe the TOD brains are under the passenger seat. Might try unplugging and cleaning if that got wet. Hopefully it's nothing more serious.

One minute late... :)

idrivem5
03/17/2011, 05:11 PM
Well... I ran the error code check as described, short #8 to #4, and got 12 on the check light? Doesn't that mean there is nothing wrong?

I disconnected the blue/white wire connector above the diff... not wet. Blew it with canned air and reconnected.

Checked the tire pressure all are within 1lb.

But when I drive, the truck feels like it is missing some power and the TOD lights start blinking after a few miles?

Any ideas?

etlsport
03/17/2011, 06:53 PM
Well... I ran the error code check as described, short #8 to #4, and got 12 on the check light? Doesn't that mean there is nothing wrong?

I disconnected the blue/white wire connector above the diff... not wet. Blew it with canned air and reconnected.

Checked the tire pressure all are within 1lb.

But when I drive, the truck feels like it is missing some power and the TOD lights start blinking after a few miles?

Any ideas?

check all of your fluids too.. water in one of the differentials or in the transfer case could give you some odd issues too

idrivem5
03/18/2011, 07:35 AM
I just looked under the passenger seat, it looks like I'll have to unmount the seat to get at the ECU?

And yes, unfortunately the cab had water over the seats.

I am thinking the only way to check the oils, transfer and diffs, is by changing them?

etlsport
03/18/2011, 07:41 AM
I just looked under the passenger seat, it looks like I'll have to unmount the seat to get at the ECU?

And yes, unfortunately the cab had water over the seats.

I am thinking the only way to check the oils, transfer and diffs, is by changing them?

yes, you will have to remove the passenger seat. its very easy, there are (4) 14mm bolts. the two behind the seat are covered with plastic covers, just use a flat head screwdriver to pry the two sides off, then slide it back towards the rear door.

pretty much the only way is to change them. the diffs and transfer case all have fill plugs, if they are properly filled, you should be able to get to the fluid from the fill plug without draining, but you wont really be able to get a good sample from that

idrivem5
03/18/2011, 07:45 AM
Roger that. Looks like I know what I'm doing tomorrow...

idrivem5
03/18/2011, 07:59 AM
OK... I decided to try it right after driving and got a rear sensor error - #27. So I'll look into that and the ECU/Fluids and get back to you.

Anyone know where the connector is for the rear sensor?

Heres a shot of the U-Boat commander... it was in a free float at this point...
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/197177_207693852580840_100000206811618_898438_3764 276_n.jpg

vt_maverick
03/18/2011, 10:41 AM
Maybe while you already have one chair out you should just remove all the carpet and powder-coat / Line-X / Rhino-Line the floor? Can't imagine there's enough paper towels and carpet cleaner in the world to remove the "funk."

Also, is your alternator still working? IIRC it should have been totally immersed in water in this pic.

vt_maverick
03/18/2011, 10:53 AM
Okay this is off subject but thought I'd share . I assume if you were in water deep enough to float that you didn't realize it was that deep until it was too late. I found this on a marine products site and thought it might be awesome for offroading. Basically it's a remote sonar sensor that floats on the water surface and transmits the depth back to the watch. Normally intended to be dropped off the side of a fishing boat, but seems like you could tie a small cord to it and then throw it into the center of a puddle. $83 including shipping.

http://www.valencemarine.com/Humminbird-RF35_p_152.html

http://www.valencemarine.com/assets/images/large/Humminbird_Large/smart35_glamour.jpg

idrivem5
03/18/2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah... I keep saying.. "it didn't look that deep"... thanks for the tip, but I think I'll be sure next time... or go around. lesson learned.

Question: whats the IIRC (sorry feel like I should know that one)

And yep. Spot on, the funk is an aroma I can live without... smells like a swamp. I may pull it apart and spray it... Steam the carpets.

Alt is good so far. Cross the fingers, I shut it off once it began the float and before pulling it out, we disconnected the battery... let it dry out with heaters for a few days before applying power to be safe.

And yes... that water was friken cold.

Heres the water release following the extraction...
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/190198_207694159247476_100000206811618_898441_5008 070_n.jpg

vt_maverick
03/18/2011, 11:13 AM
That's a damn shame, looks like you have a very nice VX. Are those Nissan Frontier wheels with red-painted calipers?

vt_maverick
03/18/2011, 11:15 AM
Btw here's a start if you decide you need entirely new carpet. This is for the rear only, but someone was trying to sell the front section as well a few weeks back. Can't remember if that sold or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-Isuzu-Vehicross-cargo-area-rear-carpet-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f078e61edQQitemZ27070 9711341QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

idrivem5
03/18/2011, 11:16 AM
Yep, the rims fit and look nice I think... Subdued. thanks Nissan.

The calipers are painted with high temp paint... Did it myself.

vt_maverick
03/18/2011, 11:16 AM
Nevermind, seems the front was already sold. :(

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-Vehicross-carpet-rug-set-molded-oem-/110655914685?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c39b42bd

vt_maverick
03/18/2011, 11:18 AM
Yep, the rims fit and look nice I think... Subdued. thanks Nissan.

Definitely subdued and classy... if I ever repaint my OEM 18's I think I'm going to go for that color/finish.

idrivem5
03/18/2011, 11:19 AM
I'll pull it all this weekend and weigh the options.

Any idea where the rear TOD sensor switch connector is located?

vt_maverick
03/18/2011, 11:38 AM
Got me on that one. Maybe this will help?

Here's a good explanation of how TOD works. It's for '98 vehicles that have a push button switch that engages the front axle. Ours is the same except it's on all the time.
13.9 MB, 11:13 - http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/techvids/tod.wmv (http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/techvids/tod.wmv)

idrivem5
03/18/2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks. I'll give it a look.

idrivem5
04/05/2011, 07:42 AM
OK... after days of work here is the final...

Changed all lower fluids, removed and applied moisture inhibitor to all connections, alternator went bad, a $700 problem, and reset all codes...

Other than the carpet funk… It appears all is OK.

skcorssorcihev
07/18/2011, 10:03 PM
You do NOT want to inflate your tires to the maximum pressure on the tire walls. This is a pretty common mistake. The pressure is based upon your vehicle and this info is inside the door jam on the drivers side. Setting your tired to the max pressure on the sidewall of the tire will wear out your tires faster, cause poor handling and will also not allow you to brake as fast.

tom4bren
07/19/2011, 03:18 AM
You do NOT want to inflate your tires to the maximum pressure on the tire walls. This is a pretty common mistake. The pressure is based upon your vehicle and this info is inside the door jam on the drivers side. Setting your tired to the max pressure on the sidewall of the tire will wear out your tires faster, cause poor handling and will also not allow you to brake as fast.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. What's posted on the door jam is for the tires that came on the VX from the factory. After replacing those, you should always follow the recommended pressure rating molded into the sidewall of the tire. The tire manufacturer knows the optimal pressure for performance/wear/safety, not the vehicle manufacturer.

rsteinmetz70112
07/19/2011, 09:12 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. What's posted on the door jam is for the tires that came on the VX from the factory. After replacing those, you should always follow the recommended pressure rating molded into the sidewall of the tire. The tire manufacturer knows the optimal pressure for performance/wear/safety, not the vehicle manufacturer.

Here's what Goodyear recommends:

To find the proper air pressure for your tires, look in the vehicle owner's manual, on the sticker on the driver's side doorjamb or in the glove box. If you buy new tires, be sure to learn the correct pressure from your tire Retailer or the owner's manual of your vehicle. Check your pressure at least once a month, and use a high-quality air gauge.

If your tires are significantly different than stock, that may not apply but the maximum may not apply either. The correct inflation is a combination of vehicle weight, tire stiffness and driving conditions and will vary for the same tire on different vehicles.

tom4bren
07/19/2011, 01:57 PM
IMHO - Start with the recommendation on the tire. Chalk the tread of the tire & drive about 25 ft. Stop and see what the chalk looks like. If the outer edge of the tread have the chalk removed, add air. If the inner part of the tread has the chalk removed, let out some air.

After that, some minor adjustments can be made to tire pressure for ride comfort/fuel consumption/tire wear ...

skcorssorcihev
03/13/2012, 07:10 AM

That is absolutely WRONG. The recommended pressure is 29PSI. Tires indicate the MAX that the actual tire can be inflated to. Inflating your tires on the VX to the MAX tire pressure listed on the sidewall is not right at all. This will lead to poor handling, rougher ride and tires wearing fast.

Come on guys, this is basic car knowledge.

I am surprised at how many times I take my VX in for an oil change and they actually inflate the tires to upwards of 40 PSI because of the sidewalls max pressure listing. I never take my VX back to places that do that.

Ldub
03/13/2012, 07:20 AM
That is absolutely WRONG. The recommended pressure is 29PSI. Tires indicate the MAX that the actual tire can be inflated to. Inflating your tires on the VX to the MAX tire pressure listed on the sidewall is not right at all. This will lead to poor handling, rougher ride and tires wearing fast.

Come on guys, this is basic car knowledge.

I am surprised at how many times I take my VX in for an oil change and they actually inflate the tires to upwards of 40 PSI because of the sidewalls max pressure listing. I never take my VX back to places that do that.

X-2...:yes:

This theory(inflation to max pressure) also doesn't address the fact that a lot of folks around here are roll'n larger than stock, off road type tires, that have a larger internal volume, which in fact, will require slightly less pressure to be properly inflated.

skcorssorcihev
03/14/2012, 05:58 AM
Guys and gals. Inflating your tire pressure to MAX that is rated on the tire does not give you benefits. It will NOT improve handling. Imagine a wheel made out of diamond, and one out of rubber. The harder the surface is (overinflated) the worse handling you will get. You will lose traction as your tires are making less contact with the road. The tires should be inflated based upon the weight of the vehicle, not the MAX pressure.

skcorssorcihev
03/14/2012, 06:03 AM
X-2...:yes:

This theory also doesn't address the fact that a lot of folks around here are roll'n larger than stock, off road type tires, that have a larger internal volume, which in fact, will require slightly less pressure to be properly inflated.

Exactly! I dont get why people want to roll on rock tires? I dont understand their logic there at all. Glad you fortified my comment! :)