PDA

View Full Version : rear end noise?

p_justin13
02/01/2010, 08:04 AM
Have an odd noise from what sounds like the rear end? Just purchased last weekend so new to the vehicross. Sounds almost like an electric braking noise. Most noticable when letting off the gas and or decelerating kind of a vrr vrr vrr vrr then disappears when accelerating again. Any ideas?
thanks,
jp

99 vehicross silver

circmand
02/01/2010, 08:08 AM
Thats what I do when my rear end starts making strange noises!!!

Sorry I had to do that. Welcome to the board. I would suggest having a shop look at the rear axle seal. I had that issue and had to replace it twice. I blame the mechanic not the vehicle as it is a basic part found in most all vehcles. They also told me I needed a fluid change as it had never been done. As I had just recently done it I asked if they checked it or were just basing it on miles. They said they checked I asked to see it. We went out and sure enough clean as new. They were a tad embarressed

tom4bren
02/01/2010, 08:15 AM
Or the fluid may have been changed without putting in the LSD additive. Probably the best bet before taking it to a mechanic is to change the fluid to synthetic for a limited slip differential.

p_justin13
02/01/2010, 08:17 AM
About how much did it run to have replaced and what do you recommend for fluid replacement on rear. I have to do the shocks as there spent want to do all fluids at the same time

p_justin13
02/01/2010, 08:19 AM
and don't worry won't forget the lsd did that in my old truck, not so good!

tom4bren
02/01/2010, 08:23 AM
Mobile 1 seems to be highly recommended by the members here but it really comes down to personal preference.

p_justin13
02/01/2010, 08:29 AM
weight?

tom4bren
02/01/2010, 08:31 AM
Oh crud. I can't remember. It should be in the owner's manual (available in the DownLoad section). I'll see if I can find it.

Triathlete
02/01/2010, 08:34 AM
Very easy to do yourself. Do a search and you will find how-to's on replacing pretty much every fluid in the VX. Plus you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself and knowing it was done right!:bwgy:

tom4bren
02/01/2010, 08:40 AM
GL-5 is the weight.

Look here:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=20

It's on page 0B-7 of the shop manual (page 22 of the pdf file).

When you go to drain the rear differential, you may need to 'plunge' the drain with a piece of wire or a zip tie (I had to on the front so assume you may run into the same issue on the rear). This is to move any debris out of the way so that the fluid can flow out.

p_justin13
02/01/2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks, to you all. I've been looking for a vx forever and now having one I'm super stoked already took it up a mean hill this weekend. I better wait to finish repairs before tearing it up anymore. lol
thanks again

tom4bren
02/01/2010, 08:50 AM
Welcome to the addiction.

MSHardeman
02/01/2010, 09:34 AM
I don't know if anyone else has run across this, but make sure that the noise is coming from the rear end and not your 4wd hi/lo stick shifter. Any time that I decelerate, or if I'm just cruising along at a constant speed I get a "gear" noise that comes through the shifter. I have an aftermarket knob on the stick shift so that may amplify some of the noise. While it's happening, if I push on the shifter a little the noise goes away. It's done that since I bought it, and I've had all the fluids replaced to the correct level with Amsoil so I know it's all clean and full.

Anita
02/01/2010, 10:03 AM
Just basics, but make sure your tires are the same size with similar wear AND make sure they are inflated equally. Unequal tire pressure can make a whining noise when coasting.

PK
02/01/2010, 02:17 PM
A bad axle bearing will make a whirr - whirr - whirr noise when coasting.
If it is bad, replace both.
They are not expensive, and both have gone around about the same number of times.

PK

lasturbo
02/01/2010, 11:36 PM
A bad axle bearing will make a whirr - whirr - whirr noise when coasting.
If it is bad, replace both.
They are not expensive, and both have gone around about the same number of times.

PK

If you do the rear wheel bearings (if they are bad), let me know as I am curious how to replace them and the shop manual does not tell you how (unless I am blind). The housing & bearing are on the axle shaft and pressed in I believe. Special tools, heat, and a press are required IMO.:confused:

Viatcheslav
02/02/2010, 12:15 AM
Have an odd noise from what sounds like the rear end? Just purchased last weekend so new to the vehicross. Sounds almost like an electric braking noise. Most noticable when letting off the gas and or decelerating kind of a vrr vrr vrr vrr then disappears when accelerating again. Any ideas?
thanks,
jp

99 vehicross silver

Your VX lifted?

Ldub
02/02/2010, 12:48 AM
GL-5 is the weight.

Look here:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=20

It's on page 0B-7 of the shop manual (page 22 of the pdf file).

When you go to drain the rear differential, you may need to 'plunge' the drain with a piece of wire or a zip tie (I had to on the front so assume you may run into the same issue on the rear). This is to move any debris out of the way so that the fluid can flow out.

Sorry Ol Buddy, but unlike the front, the rear diff has a large drain plug that won't be clogged easily by debris.:flower:
I would also recommend removing the fill plug first, as there are few things more frustrating than having a dry (drained) diff & no way to re-fill it...:upsetgray
And don't forget to drive for 5-10 miles to get the fluids up to operating temp, & as much sludge in suspension as possible, before draining...:_wrench:

Also, grease all the zerk fittings (3) on the rear drive shaft, that may take care of the noise on it's own.

Oh yeah...almost forgetted...welcome to the forums...:yes:

rowhard
02/02/2010, 07:48 AM
Welcome to the addiction, cute town name your from.

Anyway, all the things mentioned above, and rear diff noise is not uncommon on this beast if everything else checks out.

ORW VXr
02/03/2010, 11:44 AM
Oops the title of this thread thru me off. Sorry
________
Vaporizerinfo (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)

handeeman
02/03/2010, 12:37 PM
Oops the title of this thread thru me off. Sorry

That's funny!

p_justin13
02/09/2010, 09:57 AM
So, new tires, shock, and a bunch of quality time with the grease gun have silenced quite abit of the issues. Still between 20 and 40 mph there is weird winding noise when this happens the tod diagram on the dash the front weels light up from one to three top to the bottom repeatidly. Is this normal or do I have an issue? Other than that it drive's awesome now. Getting a foot of snow here today and I'm actually excited!

p_justin13
02/09/2010, 10:01 AM
Also Ldub thanks for the tip on the rear diff fluid change sure enough took me almost a half hr to crack the damn fill plug off.