PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs

blacksambo
02/01/2010, 08:55 AM
Is the Denso K16PR-P11 the original spark plug for a '99 VX? What's the highest gas mileage replacement? Thx.

tom4bren
02/01/2010, 09:16 AM
You're really trying to start a fight here aren't you?:)

I don't know what spark plugs came stock in the VX (some other member might know & chime in).

As far as the best replacement ... That'll depend on everyone's preferences. There are too many variables for any one company to honestly lay claim to providing the best fuel economy. To be honest with you, I don't think that the spark plug will really have a significant impact on gas mileage (let the bashing begin).

When replacing spark plugs, I'm more concerned with longevity rather than economy. I'm only saying that because I can't really 'feel' a difference when running better or cheaper plugs, but some definitely last longer than others.

MSHardeman
02/01/2010, 09:28 AM
At 93K I'm pretty sure that I still have my original plugs in the VX. I haven't changed them, and I bought the car with 35K on it. I am looking to replace the plugs soon so I went to my local NAPA to see if they had plugs for the VX. Their computer told them that the original equipment replacements for the VX (mine is a 2000) are NGK Laser Irridiums. At $15+ a piece they're a little spendy, but if I can get another 93K out of them then they're worth it.

The lady behind the counter did say that I should see a little better fuel economy after swapping in the new plugs. She also said the main difference between the high dollar plugs and the low dollar plugs is longevity and not really performance.

tom4bren
02/01/2010, 09:34 AM
She also said the main difference between the high dollar plugs and the low dollar plugs is longevity and not really performance.

YaDa, YaDa, YaDa ... T4B is right ... YaDa, YaDa, YaDa

circmand
02/01/2010, 01:50 PM
At 93K I'm pretty sure that I still have my original plugs in the VX. I haven't changed them, and I bought the car with 35K on it. I am looking to replace the plugs soon so I went to my local NAPA to see if they had plugs for the VX. Their computer told them that the original equipment replacements for the VX (mine is a 2000) are NGK Laser Irridiums. At $15+ a piece they're a little spendy, but if I can get another 93K out of them then they're worth it.

The lady behind the counter did say that I should see a little better fuel economy after swapping in the new plugs. She also said the main difference between the high dollar plugs and the low dollar plugs is longevity and not really performance.

More a result of newer plugs burning cleaner as opposed to older plugs with carbon build up burning inefficiently

deermagnet
02/01/2010, 03:18 PM
Their computer told them that the original equipment replacements for the VX (mine is a 2000) are NGK Laser Irridiums. At $15+ a piece they're a little spendy, but if I can get another 93K out of them then they're worth it.

Take 'em back right away and tell her she's full of it. The originals are platinum, not iridium. Those are original equipment replacements when you want iridium instead of platinum. Iridiums have an ultra fine electrode that only lasts ~30-40K miles. The NGK Laser Platinums #PFR5G-11 will last another 100K miles for only $10 each or less. That's what I use and I get 17.5-20 mpg.

I like to change my plugs more often than most others. The plats will go 100K, but I last changed mine at 50K. Just before the change last summer I got 19+ mpg. Right after the change I got 19+ mpg. So the plats at 50K still performed like new. Iridiums would have been long gone at 50K. I think I'll wait till 75K for my next change.

Mark Griffin

etlsport
02/01/2010, 04:42 PM
i replaced mine at 80k with ngk platinums.. no complaints here.. think i paid maybe $4 per from a wholesaler

blacksambo
02/02/2010, 08:08 PM
i replaced mine at 80k with ngk platinums.. no complaints here.. think i paid maybe $4 per from a wholesaler

Thanks for the info, I had no idea iridiums were so "ephemeral". (Fancy word for short lived.)

Techy-D
02/02/2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the info, I had no idea iridiums were so "ephemeral". (Fancy word for short lived.)

Glad you gave the definition, cuz I was thinking it had to do with the Non-Male member of the species. :winko:

Good timing for the info, cuz I was just wondering as well (the plugs, not the word ephemeral - I know how you guys think!). :winkgray:

blacksambo
02/05/2010, 05:39 PM
Only too happy to help.

pbkid
02/05/2010, 05:52 PM
ok... this is just my 2 cents so please bring on the fire...

i would never put anything but an NGK in any kind of vehicle made from japan.
they are designed specifically for japanese vehicles and definately perform better than any other brand. (i have tried just about every brand out there in the last 150k miles on my integra)

i bought the bosch 4prong platinum crap ONE TIME for my integra and regretted it immediately because as soon as my car turned over it ran like crap, spit and sputtered off the line and had no top end at all. changed it back to NGK's... problem solved..

so, im with the rest of the crew, NGK only. (oh and i have had 3 honda certified mechanics tell me that you should never use anything but NGK in a japanese vehicle)

Mile High VX
02/05/2010, 06:48 PM
I got your back pbkid...NGK is the only way to go.

don moore
02/05/2010, 11:49 PM
I get 22mph with NGK......well ok .when i go down hill and dont add gas and have a push from a tail wind..

Ldub
02/06/2010, 12:37 AM
I get 22mph with NGK......well ok .when i go down hill and dont add gas and have a push from a tail wind..

Wow...that's really fast...:rotate:...:laughing:

Greasemonkey
02/06/2010, 10:59 AM
Hi - Champion plugs when i asked for a set from my local isuzu dealer and they were in the Isuzu packets -
Maybe they source locally the right plugs depending on country - not sure
Mine is running fine on them though
cheers
Steve

don moore
02/06/2010, 12:21 PM
Wow...that's really fast...:rotate:...:laughing:

ooops ..22mpg....

VX KAT
02/06/2010, 03:12 PM
Just successfully changed mine today to the NGK platinums. The Champions I removed didn't look so good....but I don't know how long they've been in. I have 68,800 miles now so at some point the OEMs came out and PO put in Champions...so estimating the math..... they didn't last nearly as long as the platinums should.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/DSC_1375.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=16727)