PDA

View Full Version : How I replaced my rusted license lamp bracket

deermagnet
03/10/2010, 12:52 PM
edit

Jolly Roger VX'er
03/10/2010, 01:59 PM
Imagine my surprise when I'm in the middle of the same scenario with parts on backorder and I see this thread! Must be a PA thingie!

I've got a license plate lamp mounting bracket on order (along with new lamps & mounting bolts) from both my local dealer (now sells suzuki's but carries Isuzu parts) and St. Charles. Figured whoever got me the parts first, I would just keep the others for spares.

All I got so far was one lamp assemble from my local dealer and 5 mounting bolts from St. Charles....lol.

Was starting to think about going the "custom" route when low & behold you already did it! I was surprised @ how much was involved with removing the cladding & such...thought it was simpler than what you've show it to be.

Good to have someone else blaze the trails first! Thanx for the info.

p_justin13
03/11/2010, 06:06 AM
I just cut mine out as well Salt here in Illinois ate right through the damn thing couldn't even get the screws out of the light bulb covers, it was just on big ball of rust. I tigged in a new chunk of metal and mounted a little led bar up there and tapped it into the exhisting wiring. I came out pretty nice. Yours looks good though like the plates.

Jolly Roger VX'er
03/13/2010, 10:43 AM
I just cut mine out as well Salt here in Illinois ate right through the damn thing couldn't even get the screws out of the light bulb covers, it was just on big ball of rust. I tigged in a new chunk of metal and mounted a little led bar up there and tapped it into the exhisting wiring. I came out pretty nice. Yours looks good though like the plates.

Yeah...when one of my bulbs blew out I thought...I'll get to that shortly...than the other one blew like days later...so I thought I'd simply replace the bulbs & life would go on.

Then I went to take the screws out of the light bulb covers and just like you...it was one big ball of rust. Tried PV Blaster a day ahead of working on them but no luck. They stripped immediately out. I ended up cutting the screw heads off with a carbide cutter....then the lens both cracked trying to pry them off the gasket. Than I put in new bulbs but the one socket was so corroded it wouldn't work even after a good cleaning. Wrote that one off as a complete loss. Got the other one working but had to re-seal the lens with RTV.

At least I got one working for now until my parts come in (hopefully). If not I'll be following you guys down the do-eet-Ur-self route...lol.

I looked up inside my tailgate with a flashlight & it looks really good in there with exception of the bracket (or what's barely left of it)...I'm sure once I get it off it'll be rusted underneath...but its amazing how nice everything else looks but the bracket looks like it came off of the Titanic...lol.

crager34
03/13/2010, 04:17 PM
I just ordered the bulb assy from St. Charles myself. Along with new wiper arms.

ObsidianDragon
03/15/2010, 10:22 PM
Aha! Just the topic i was looking for ^_^. My problem began when one lens cover got infiltrated by water, one bulb went out, life went on..still passes inspection. Now the whole bracket decided to cut and run and both bulbs are out (in both ways). Put up with it for a lil while as I haven't done too much driving with the VX but since now that its getting warmer here I'm gettin ready to tackle the dangly bulbs. Props for photos!

Marlin
05/12/2010, 12:38 PM
I ordered mine last spring, still no parts..lol. The refunded my money. I would be VERY VERY careful about putting aluminum in there. Aluminum on steel equals horrible galvanic corrosion. Make sure you put some plastic or rubber washers so there is minimul corrosion, maybe stainless steel fasteners. Looks good though.

ObsidianDragon
05/13/2010, 04:17 PM
Well, anyone looking to do an OEM part fix should know that the grommets where the wires go up are actually part of the wire and are able to be pulled with some prying fingers.

They have a click connector on the end that can be reached by removing the spare tire. Just to the left and right of the center piece there are openings and a small white tab. Pinch these white tabs to let the wire away from the metal, you can access the wires from the opening. Pinch apart the now showing connectors here and your ready to put in your new wires.

Had me baffled how i'd put in the new wires for a little bit, but really easy after i found access. The new wires come preassembled with the bulbs and lens cover held together with the bolts, you need to thread the wires through the mounting bracket and through the original holes.

Just thought i'd throw this in here just in case someone didn't want to go splicing wires.

dietz99vcross
07/09/2010, 05:58 PM
Just want to thank Deermagnet for the photos in the original post. Doing this myself and using his post as my instructions it worked great.

thanks - Mike

BeeVenom
07/10/2010, 11:42 AM
I'm doing the same thing on my VX. One license plate lite just fell down and 'hung out' one day directly in front of the plate itself. Ha! And my VX doesn't see the bad MI winters either. It did take forever to get the cladding off and i found the pretty little rusted lite bracket just as seen in the pics. I like the idea of an aluminum bracket to replace it and will use double-sided tape between it and the door. I was able to order new license plate lites from Isuzu though, so that was a good thing!
Now, I need to start on refurbishing the finish on all the cladding too.

Bulldoggie
07/10/2010, 06:35 PM
I ordered mine last spring, still no parts..lol. The refunded my money. I would be VERY VERY careful about putting aluminum in there. Aluminum on steel equals horrible galvanic corrosion. Make sure you put some plastic or rubber washers so there is minimul corrosion, maybe stainless steel fasteners. Looks good though.

X2

They did a study of galvanic corrosion, when rebuilding the Statue of Liberty.
Stainless Steel is best at not accelerating other metals corroding.
Even Plumbers know not to mix metals. without gaskets or brass fittings between.

VX crazy
07/31/2010, 07:52 PM
I have a problem with one of the lightbulb sockets, not the bar, replaced that last year.....is there a way to splice in a different socket, mine the rubber has disintegrated and the bulb will not stay in, the socket is just crap.....any suggestions??

Marlin
08/01/2010, 04:20 PM
Another material for the light bar which I wish I woulda considered, is plastic. Find a L shaped plastic piece at least an eighth-inch thick. There's really no weight involved, so the plastic would work just as well as any metal.

If the next person doing this would at least try the plastic option, we'd appreciate it. :yesy:

This job is gonna be done hundreds of times over the next few years by our members. If everyone would post something about their own experience with this, it would help the next guy, and eventually we'd have a near perfect how-to for this. :yesb:

Mark Griffin

I like the plastic idea, and then put in something like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-License-Plate-Light-Bolt-F-Suzuki-GSXR-600-750-1000-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230838ed6aQQitemZ15046 1803882QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_3 509wt_806

yellowgizmo99
08/02/2010, 07:35 AM
I use those on m/c, also got some with skulls that have red LED's and hooked up to break lights so light up when I break

VX crazy
08/02/2010, 07:42 AM
I am just looking for a socket like ours that I can wire in to existing wires......

Marlin
08/02/2010, 09:37 AM
I am just looking for a socket like ours that I can wire in to existing wires......

4 butt connectors and you would be done. Would wire right into existing circuitry.

CowboyErik
03/29/2011, 05:10 PM
I gotta carry out this job this weekend! couldn't do it without this detailed post! THANKS!

LittleBeast
03/29/2011, 08:43 PM
I gotta carry out this job this weekend! couldn't do it without this detailed post! THANKS!

Maybe it has helped you out enough to have you consider being a site supporter and helping make sure we have this site for years to come. Just a friendly thought :-)

Scott Larson
03/29/2011, 09:14 PM
I find it amazing how well these trucks hold up to winters salt and corrosion. In the case of deermagnets PA based rig, I would assume it has been subject to the wrath of road salt and deicer chemicals it's entire life, yet shows no outward signs of it's wintery abuse. That's waaayy more then I can say for my '98 Explorer, subject to the same, here in the salty northern climes of Minnesota. My VX is only spared by my unwillingness to drive it in the salt and the fact that it spent it's formative years in salt-free Oklahoma.

SinJin
03/02/2012, 09:18 AM
Awesome thread, thank you.

I just bought a 2000 and it spent most of its life in/around Ohio (rust-belt). The body is about as rust free as can be but during my walk-around I noticed the license lights and hardware are pretty much rusted away. Soooo, in a few days this is going to be my first repair.

Jonnie
03/08/2014, 12:10 PM
Deleted the info, why?