PDA

View Full Version : TOD speed sensor removal question

mrlegoman
03/20/2010, 01:44 PM
99 VehiCross 155K

I finally bought a transfer case off carpart.com with 8K on it. After shipping it came out to around 220$. I can see where they tried to remove the speed sensors and they broke the tab on the front speed sensor and really messed up the plastic with some pliers. How do you remove these sensors? Is this sensor with the broken tab ok?

My current system is giving me a rear speed sensor error code and I'm experiencing some severe "Tight corner braking". And I think I have a bad seal too because there is fluid sprayed all over the underside around the back axle.

Should I fool around with trying to replace the rear sensor, or just swap out the whole transfer case?

AK VX Lvr
03/20/2010, 02:01 PM
If I were you, I'd download the Workshop manual from the download section of this site and see if that helps you make your decision. I personally would remove/replace the sensors before I tried to swap the transfer case...good luck with you task!

mrlegoman
03/20/2010, 02:05 PM
I had done a quick search through the manual. I didn't see any tips or tricks to removing the speed sensor. It defiantly doesn't just slide out. I can't get it to rotate without feeling like I'm about the break the plastic. Just wondering what I'm missing in getting this little bugger out.

don moore
03/21/2010, 12:33 AM
not on a VX but my friend had to replace a speed sensor on his nissan truck....what a pain.. then we saw it was held in place on the inside of the case by a bracket screw and then it came out ok..what a pain we did everything short of breaking out the torch...:work:...lol the funny thing is ..it was the dash cluster after all ..not the speed sensor.