PDA

View Full Version : first check engine light

p_justin13
04/16/2010, 08:30 AM
:madb:Got my first check engine light today. Just recently did a sea foam treatment and had switched over to mobile 1 synthetic. Since switching over oil consumption had gone way down from 1 quart every 500 miles to less than 1/2 a quart if that even, though it would seem to be fine for a long time and then all of a sudden boom just gone. Not changing driving habbits or ramming on the throttle. Will take in today to get the codes pulled I think it's just an o2 sensor. The engine seems to be running perfectly fine. Had just added the cold air intake as well was wondering if it may be part of the reason as also. Guess I just have to wait till I get the codes. Whats peoples opinions on oil between mobile 1 synthetic and the rotella 15w40. I used to use heavier weight oil in my gen 3 rx-7 because it helped with the compression issues on the stupid rotary but why such a heavy weight oil for the vx. Noticed alot of people used was just wondering if kind of for the same reason.

Ldub
04/16/2010, 09:08 AM
If you're using an oiled filter on your CAI, I would guess that you will need to clean the MAF sensor.

p_justin13
04/16/2010, 09:11 AM
how does one go about cleaning out the egr valve though at my milage for the cost I might as well just buy a new one so nevermind I guess

deermagnet
04/16/2010, 10:04 AM
The EGR valve is easy to clean along with the small tube that goes into your intake. I'm on my original with 214K that I've cleaned several times.

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq1 (http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/#faq1)

Mark

nfpgasmask
04/16/2010, 04:28 PM
Easy to clean the EGR and also easy to replace. Personally, I opt for replace since I'm sure you are running the original one, plus you get a new gasket with a replacement one.

Bart

Ldub
04/16/2010, 08:42 PM
Just a FYI on the EGR gasket...:fyi:

You can get a new one (fel-pro) at any auto parts store for about two $.

At least in Fargo you can...:yesgray:

IndianaVX
04/26/2010, 06:36 AM
Agree Dub.......:yeso:

Autozone also has right off the shelf, in the "HELP" brand section, a EGR gasket that works and has an added benefit, (in my opinion) a screen in it. I think it runs around 4 bucks.
the screen is supposed to help with the carbon that builds up on the egr, by heating up, as carbon gets stuck on screen its burned off befor it can gather on the egr.
seems to work!