PDA

View Full Version : Hood latch sticks

VX_FX
04/17/2010, 07:09 PM
So

dietz99vcross
04/17/2010, 08:06 PM
May seem obvious, but when mine was sticking and I was trying to figure out how to adjust it, it was suggested I just spray it with some lubricant. Once or twice a year and it has been fine. Sometimes it is the easy solutions.

Thanks - Mike

Mark B
04/18/2010, 06:37 AM
My hood release does not work properly so here is my solution.
I have a 1/2 inch diameter PVC pipe about 12 inched long.
I gently wedge it under the front of the hood to create a little lift on the hood, then go in the VX and pull the hood release. Works every time.
Now if I can only figure out how to fix the problem so the hood release will work properly. Any suggestions?

Ldub
04/18/2010, 07:49 AM
My hood release does not work properly so here is my solution.
I have a 1/2 inch diameter PVC pipe about 12 inched long.
I gently wedge it under the front of the hood to create a little lift on the hood, then go in the VX and pull the hood release. Works every time.
Now if I can only figure out how to fix the problem so the hood release will work properly. Any suggestions?

Lube everything up good on the latch mechanism, then adjust the rubber bumpers in the front bulkhead (on either side of the radiator) by turning them counter clockwise.

If your hood doesn't look like it's closed all the way, you've adjusted too much...:smilewink

Travelin2
04/18/2010, 02:05 PM
Here is what has worked best for me.

First pull the engine and set aside on clean rags. You will have to unhook some stuff but some things will stretch enough.
Second I have one of my smaller buddies get in the engine cavity and I close and latch the hood. Now your buddy can loosen the hinge bolts a bit to allow everything to kinda relax and line up so there is no side pressure or anything on the latch. Then ya just tighten the bolts back up and it should open just fine. Now if it won't open, you can pass another beer to your buddy inside to keep him appeased while you and your brain trust of "other buddies" hatch the new plan. Just keep at it and when shes perfect just throw the engine back in her and your off!:luck:

Riff Raff
04/18/2010, 06:14 PM
Travelin2--- That's the best advice I've heard yet!!!:laughing:

Spyder
04/18/2010, 07:31 PM
Open drivers door, stand in-between the door and VX.
Right hand grab hood release inside vehicle, pull and hold.
Left hand ,ball fist, hit hood twice and release right hand during the hits.
Works every time. I mean every other time.

yellowgizmo99
04/18/2010, 08:41 PM
stick a spark plug in the release latch and walk around to open hood, works every time, got that from original owner, haha.

tom4bren
04/19/2010, 08:36 AM
Here is what has worked best for me.

First pull the engine and set aside on clean rags. You will have to unhook some stuff but some things will stretch enough.
Second I have one of my smaller buddies get in the engine cavity and I close and latch the hood. Now your buddy can loosen the hinge bolts a bit to allow everything to kinda relax and line up so there is no side pressure or anything on the latch. Then ya just tighten the bolts back up and it should open just fine. Now if it won't open, you can pass another beer to your buddy inside to keep him appeased while you and your brain trust of "other buddies" hatch the new plan. Just keep at it and when shes perfect just throw the engine back in her and your off!:luck:

Yer killin me here:) ... Have you been spending time with Handito???

SuperBoomTurbo
04/19/2010, 01:30 PM
I've been havin' this problem too. If anyone has worked with saflok or maglok doors that have a little card you swipe to get in, your card wears out eventually and you end up 'f*cking the lock' (for us guys, that's swiping it in and out til it pops)

I use this method on the vx hood latch. Yank yank yank, Crescendooooo and pop! :bwgy:

Now if what your doing looks bad at the gas station, well, let them stare while you tell people your getting your truck off. Not even the beggar coming to gripe for gas money will bother you

PHO2GR4
04/19/2010, 02:14 PM
...then adjust the rubber bumpers in the front bulkhead (on either side of the radiator) by turning them counter clockwise.

What Ldub said. It's really just that simple.