PDA

View Full Version : VEHICROSS AFTER MARKET EXAHUST

MMOROLEON
04/28/2010, 10:42 AM
I WANT TO PUT A GOOD AFTER MARKET EXAHUST.... THAT SOUND GOOD AND INCREASE POWER I CAN NOT FIND ANY FOR VEHICROSS

Ascinder
04/28/2010, 11:49 AM
I hate to be the one to say this, but use the search function on the site. Just type in "exhaust" or "muffler" and you'll find this topic, as well as things like: "what wheels fit?" and "lifting the VX" have been covered countless times before. I know someone will jump in here with some more "helpful" information, but I think that kind of stufff needs to stop on this site personally. New forum members need to learn to use the search function so they can start asking intelligent questions instead of getting people to spoon feed them the answers they are too lazy to look up themselves. I know I'm coming off a little harsh on this, but I swear these kinds of posts make my eyes bleed.:madb:

tom4bren
04/28/2010, 12:00 PM
Here, I'll help you get started. Read this thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17546&highlight=muffler

deermagnet
04/28/2010, 12:02 PM
I CAN NOT FIND ANY FOR VEHICROSS
There are no bolt-on aftermarket exhaust parts for a Vehicross. Most of it is not even available from Isuzu. You just go to a local custom exhaust shop and tell 'em what you want done and how you want it to sound and they do it. Done.

Mark

circmand
04/28/2010, 01:11 PM
I WANT TO PUT A GOOD AFTER MARKET EXAHUST.... THAT SOUND GOOD AND INCREASE POWER I CAN NOT FIND ANY FOR VEHICROSS

It is bad form on any site to post in all CAPS. Please take the time to use youre shift key in future posts. I don't want to scare you away from the site but we are a close knit group here decorum is appreciated.

Gussie2000
04/28/2010, 09:20 PM

Super turbo by dynomax are excelent mufflers.

Riff Raff
04/29/2010, 04:25 AM
Super turbo by dynomax are excelent mufflers.

Like my elementary school teacher said during crayon coloring class-- "Stay within the lines, the lines are your friends". Well, the same can be said about the search feature on Vehicross.Info-- "Use the search engine, the search engine is your friend".:bgwb:

Gussie2000--- Correction; the "Super Turbo by Dynomax" is the ONLY aftermarket muffler worth putting on the VX, period. Those that went any other route, settled for second best. As previously mentioned here in this thread; just go to a "Mom-N-Pop" style muffler shop in your hometown and tell them you want the Dynomax Super Turbo installed on your VX and let them do the rest, while you read a magazine in the waiting room lobby. 'Nuff said.:yeso:

Gussie2000
04/29/2010, 07:03 AM
I'll add to that the fact the superturbo were dyno tested on the VX proven to give extra HP .

I personally wouldn't replace them for any other brand.

I got two under my horse,they are mellow at idle yet not grossly noisy at high speed whatsoever,yet you can still listen to the sweet growl coming outter them.

VX KAT
04/29/2010, 08:36 AM
Like my elementary school teacher said during crayon coloring class-- "Stay within the lines, the lines are your friends". Well, the same can be said about the search feature on Vehicross.Info-- "Use the search engine, the search engine is your friend".:bgwb:

Gussie2000--- Correction; the "Super Turbo by Dynomax" is the ONLY aftermarket muffler worth putting on the VX, period. Those that went any other route, settled for second best. As previously mentioned here in this thread; just go to a "Mom-N-Pop" style muffler shop in your hometown and tell them you want the Dynomax Super Turbo installed on your VX and let them do the rest, while you read a magazine in the waiting room lobby. 'Nuff said.:yeso:

What do you have Riff? did you do the Super Turbo Dynomax Riff? Can you do it singly or does it have to be dually? Any major re-plumbing needed? About how much? How long ago did you do it and has it held up?

"Correction"???, Gussie said the exact same thing as you :_thinking

yellowgizmo99
04/29/2010, 09:14 AM
no he said there were an excellent choice,not the "only" choice.

Gussie2000
04/29/2010, 09:40 AM
What do you have Riff? did you do the Super Turbo Dynomax Riff? Can you do it singly or does it have to be dually? Any major re-plumbing needed? About how much? How long ago did you do it and has it held up?

"Correction"???, Gussie said the exact same thing as you :_thinking

No sue,you can have the exhaust set up the way you
choose.

I went with two mufflers,but you can have the OEM out and add the dynomax right there,also you can have that same single muffler but split the single pipe after the muffler with an Y adapter and run two pipes....

Trust me,you would love the nice growl coming under the VX. ;)

Mile High VX
04/29/2010, 09:44 AM
What kind of "drone" do you get at highway speeds. I have turbos on my Honda and while I like them, on the highway it gets old...

RallyDude
04/29/2010, 10:11 AM
I'm about to put on a 2-1/2" inlet, 5" outlet SuperTrapp S/C standard on a supercharged VX. I like the look, I should be able to tune it to work. Am I just crazy; is the consensus that the "'Super Turbo by Dynomax' is the ONLY aftermarket muffler worth putting on the VX, period. Those that went any other route, settled for second best."

I should be able to tune the SuperTrapp to work great, shouldn't I? I was also thinking that having the option to tune, I may be able to adjust the exhaust to allow for 13,000ft of elevation change.

RallyDude
04/29/2010, 10:38 AM
Oh yeah here's a pic. I'm looking at getting the center one, the 5" x 18". I think it'll look and sound great, and also be matched with my VX theme.

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=32

The 2.50” inlet, 5” outlet, 18.50” length pictured in the center. I think the rumble coming from that 5" pipe will look and sound great. Forest service spark arrester approved, provided that you run the closed endcaps. I found it for $144 including 12 discs and a hanger.

Mile High VX
04/29/2010, 11:08 AM
Might want to check this thread out as well...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17732&highlight=muffler

Ldub
04/29/2010, 11:33 AM
I'm about to put on a 2-1/2" inlet, 5" outlet SuperTrapp S/C standard on a supercharged VX. I like the look, I should be able to tune it to work. Am I just crazy; is the consensus that the "'Super Turbo by Dynomax' is the ONLY aftermarket muffler worth putting on the VX, period. Those that went any other route, settled for second best."

Stick around...you will eventually get used to riff stating his opinion as absolute, bottom line fact, & his way is the only way...:bla:.:bla:.:rolleyesg

Soon enough, you will realize he hasn't done most of what he's opining on, & just learn to tune it out.

I've got a Borla that I like, since knocking a bit of the raspiness off of it with one of these in the stock tip...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTC-72-32520/

That makes it the perfect balance for ME, it gives the old girl a nice growl, but it's quiet enough so that I can still hear the whine of the S/C...:yesgray:
PLUS, I like the fact that it's constructed of all stainless steel & comes with a one & six zer0s mile warranty.(yes, thas a meel-yun)

RallyDude
04/29/2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks MileHigh, I had read that thread a while ago, and I remember someone was going to put one in, but I didn't remember he liked it so much. Thanks Ldub, I kinda thought that was what was going on. No offense Riff, I think you do get people talking, and that's good even if the info is a bit one-sided.

VXR
04/29/2010, 01:13 PM
I've got a Borla that I like

X2:yesb:

pbkid
04/29/2010, 02:48 PM
i had a powervault PV2 on my VX and i loved the way it sounded.... i got compliments all the time.

even had quite a few ask me if it was a V8...

PHO2GR4
04/29/2010, 03:00 PM
Keep it simple. Buy the Flowmaster Off-Road Extreme muffler. Go to my gallery and listen to the audio clips of my stock muffler vs. The Flowmaster muffler. Pretty mean sound!

etlsport
04/29/2010, 03:04 PM
i had a powervault PV2 on my VX and i loved the way it sounded.... i got compliments all the time.

even had quite a few ask me if it was a V8...

x2 on that I love my PV2.. when its time to replace it i dunno what I'll do, I've heard some glasspack magnaflows that sounded really nice on 6 cyls, so I'll probably go that route

SlowPro48
04/29/2010, 03:26 PM
RallyDude are you talking about running the SuperTrapp by itself? SuperTrapps don't have any internal baffling - basically just a VERY short glass-pack inside a megaphone with the disks at the end providing additional sound attenuation by reflection and limiting exhaust flow. Unless you remove so many disks that performance suffers, you'll be LOUD. If the SuperTrapp is in addition to an existing muffler and you're just trying to take a few more dBs off like what Ldub did you should be alright but (to my ears at least) SuperTrapps alone are just too loud for street use. But then I like the stock exhaust note (or lack thereof) better than that of any of the other systems I've heard via sound clip.

Sooooo... as long as we've run this newbie off, jacked his thread and turned it into a searchable discussion about mufflers... :winkgray: Here's a question for you guys (and gals) that have been to Moab or somewhere where you get to listen to multiple mufflers at the same time:

Which aftermarket muffler sounds closest to OEM?

Gussie2000
04/29/2010, 06:30 PM
What kind of "drone" do you get at highway speeds. I have turbos on my Honda and while I like them, on the highway it gets old...

The drone you asking for is notorius when you hit 20+ mph,at 30mph you can clearly hear both mufflers droning very nice.

Now,when i hit 45+ you'll definently notice that under there is two good mufflers.

I mean,the superturbo (model 17744) aren't that loud as much as the other brands such as magnaflow of flowmasters,those mufflers are meant to roar hard,personally is not my thing.Sure on a V8 engine those mufflers are very good,but the super turbo sounds almost exactly as the the new FX 45,but in higher tone of the level.

If your thing is loundess then go for the other brands,but if you want a soft but yet sweet growl & being notice on the highways then this dynomax is the right choice,no doubts about that.

Not mentioning the price for a dynomax is way cheaper then the others.

SlowPro48
04/29/2010, 09:26 PM
Gussie remind us again - at what speed does your a** start to vibrate? :rolleyes:

WormGod
04/30/2010, 07:53 AM
PV1.

Win.

WIN!

(rust belt has taken it's toll on it so it is almost time to bury it though)

Gussie2000
04/30/2010, 10:43 AM
Gussie remind us again - at what speed does your a** start to vibrate? :rolleyes:

Lol

Don't blame me to be more sensitive then ya'll guys :p

dgl82182
04/30/2010, 02:46 PM
i havent been able to take pictures yet but i have had my exhuast modified at a friends shop and had 2 flowmaster 40's put in and it sounds nice

Cobrajet
04/30/2010, 04:04 PM
PV1.
Win.
WIN!
(rust belt has taken it's toll on it so it is almost time to bury it though)Too bad they are no longer available. My PV1 catback is still as good as new, and sounds awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38eQJuh-iU)!

Kenny
04/30/2010, 04:54 PM
x2 on that I love my PV2.. when its time to replace it i dunno what I'll do, I've heard some glasspack magnaflows that sounded really nice on 6 cyls, so I'll probably go that route

After two years there was nothing left inside my 14” magnaflow. it was hollow. i also have the joy of spitting out chunks of mesh from my magnaflow cats. man it gets buzzing when a chunk got lodged in the pipe. i like glass packs tho. i now have a super dyno max and love it.

Grif
04/30/2010, 05:06 PM
X2:yesb:
X3:grino:

RallyDude
05/01/2010, 01:12 PM
SloPro48 & Others: The two on this site that have installed SuperTrapps both like them and noted exhaust reduction of half of what was there previously with older performance mufflers that were failing to reduce noise to a reasonable level. These were both 4" SuperTrapps. I am planning on getting the 5" variant, which should offer a substantial noise reduction from the 4" model. I think that difference may offer as much noise reduction as 2 of the fam's old performance mufflers were offering them. I know it will be louder than stock, I just don't want it to sound like an opened up harley either. This is the largest exhaust SuperTrapp makes, at 5"x 17-1/2" case size. Again, I am supercharged.

I also have to go through 2 DMV inspections, including a road test in the vehicle. I was thinking it would be nice to tune it really quiet for these tests, and then be able open it up a little for a less restriction and exhaust note. I like the idea of being able to tune it, as altitude is always such a factor where i live, and where I play.

So big question is, will it be quiet enough on any setting?

SlowPro48
05/01/2010, 08:43 PM
Loud is such a subjective term. We all have different tastes. A system that sounds loud and flatulant to me might sound just perfect to you. Go for it!

VXR
05/02/2010, 04:45 PM
X3:grino:

I assume this is a X3 on Borla.

perhaps we should do a poll on this topic:yesb:

vt_maverick
05/02/2010, 05:01 PM
I don't know that a poll will really help, it would be like posting a "Best Wheels" poll. What you're happy with will largely be a function of what your personal tastes are, so the poll would ultimately be meaningless. Would probably be better to have a poll oriented around "Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust" or "Most Aggressive Aftermarket Exhaust" - something that bounds the question.

SlowPro48
05/02/2010, 05:42 PM
a poll oriented around "Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust"

I'd be all for that. I don't know how yours is, but my VX is too loud inside at highway speeds already. Makes it hard to yap on the phone when I'm driving 80. Don't need a loud exhaust exacerbating the situation. Can't afford the OEM muffler so when mine finally craps out I'll be looking for the quietest aftermarket unit I can find.

Here's another idea for you guys going to Moab: I know somebody has posted a collection of Youtube videos of different VX exhaust notes on here but I think they were done with different recording devices, some closer to the exhaust than others, etc. How about if we get scientific about it. At Moab there will be numerous types of VX exhausts all in one place. Use the same recording device - preferably a camera with a decent microphone not a cell phone - all from the same distance away from the exhaust tip and at a 45 degree angle so pressure waves don't overload the microphone. Get idle, blipping throttle, and steady 3000 rpm for each vehicle. That way one could truly compare sound levels, quality, etc.

yellowgizmo99
05/02/2010, 06:02 PM
like that idea, mine is on the way out and need to find something soon.

VXR
05/02/2010, 06:50 PM
I don't know that a poll will really help, it would be like posting a "Best Wheels" poll. What you're happy with will largely be a function of what your personal tastes are, so the poll would ultimately be meaningless. Would probably be better to have a poll oriented around "Quietest Aftermarket Exhaust" or "Most Aggressive Aftermarket Exhaust" - something that bounds the question.

I was not meaning "best" as you are right that is subjective. I was just thinking it would be interesting to see how many people have what kind of aftermarket exhaust.

Scott Larson
05/02/2010, 06:58 PM
So much for newbie thread-posting...LOL!!

VXR
05/03/2010, 03:24 AM
:confused:

Grif
05/03/2010, 05:46 PM
I assume this is a X3 on Borla.

perhaps we should do a poll on this topic:yesb:

Yes thats an X3 on Borla. Mine is not too loud, but has a nice gurgle to it when you get that lead foot. Sounds real sweet when you first start it up. Not like a ricer fart pipe at all.

A poll might be in order, I don't think Ive seen an exhaust poll on here yet.

SlowPro48
05/03/2010, 06:57 PM

Yeah... blew that duck right outta the water didn't we? Well at least his thread hasn't gone to waste... MMOROLEON are you still out there? Take your caps lock off and talk to us man! Have you found the exhaust of your dreams yet?

Hey let's take a poll on whether or not we should do an exhaust poll!

pbkid
05/03/2010, 09:28 PM
i think the only true way to hear the differences would be to record different sounding exhausts on the same recording device like mentioned before...

maybe we'll organize that in moab ;)

Ldub
05/04/2010, 01:42 AM
Yeah... blew that duck right outta the water didn't we?

Since we've turned this thread every which way but loose...:hj::ot:...:rolleyesg

That reminds me of an old MN duck hunters joke...

Q: Ya know how far ya lead a duck?

A: Depends on how fast it's swimm'n...:rolleyesg...:laughing:

VXR
05/04/2010, 03:47 AM
Since we've turned this thread every which way but loose...:hj::ot:...:rolleyesg

That reminds me of an old MN duck hunters joke...

Q: Ya know how far ya lead a duck?

A: Depends on how fast it's swimm'n...:rolleyesg...:laughing:

Hautman's blue-winged teal got the twenty-nine cent. People don't much use the three-cent

SlowPro48
05/04/2010, 08:17 AM
This thread makes me think of orangutans.

circmand
05/04/2010, 10:14 AM
i think the only true way to hear the differences would be to record different sounding exhausts on the same recording device like mentioned before...

maybe we'll organize that in moab ;)

People would still disagree on what sounded better just on preference alone

pbkid
05/04/2010, 01:07 PM
well at least each person could make their own decisions that way...

with everyone recording their exhausts from different places, in different situations with different recording devices... it makes it really hard to tell what they actually sound like compared to each other.

RallyDude
05/04/2010, 10:00 PM
If you're looking for a stock replacement without the stock price, you may just want to go with a Walker. I can't attest for what they are making now, but 25 years ago when I worked at the local Parts Hut, a high quality OEM replacement was Walker, and it seemed to corner the market on non-muffler shop mufflers (muffler shops carry their own brand). It was then (and I'm guessing now) a high quality alternative. They hold up well, they were quiet as stock, but usually performed better than stock, as OEM muffler quality usually wasn't that good. I noticed that dynomax rates all their own mufflers, walker, and old-school performance thrush (I'm guessing they own all three) on a scale from most quiet, to most performance: goodhttp://

They have one muffler that is so new it isn't on this scale, wondering if anyone has experience with the new Dynomax VT? The VT stands for valve technology; it has a butterfly valve that has a spring that holds it lightly closed. The idea is to have a quiet idle, a quiet cruising speed, but will open up when the throttle goes down.
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php

I'm thinking of using this along with the SuperTrapp. Even though I was considering running just the glasspacks, I am not that big a fan of exhaust blasting. But I do like it to open up and it's nice to hear the right tone at that point.

The SuperTrapps would just be there for looks, exhaust tone, a way to tone down the vehicle for the DMV, and most importantly, a spark arrestor. In Colorado, it doesn't take much to start a forest fire. Spark arrestors should always be used here on any straight-thru exhaust design, especially on off-road vehicles. They are always so hard on the dirtbikers, but many fires have been started here by sparks exiting SUVs.

vt_maverick
05/05/2010, 06:34 AM
Good find on the Dynomax VT, looks like they retail for about $100. Post piccies if you pick one up!

RallyDude
05/05/2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I thought that Butterfly could be an interesting idea, never heard of that before, and for a hundred bucks, I'll give it a try along with the SuperTrapp tip unless anyone else has a better idea. I'm a little weary how long that spring will continue to function. Any one have warranty experience with Dynamax? I know back in the day, we honored warranties on the Walkers.

Oh, and the missing thread that I failed to post, rating Dynamax, Thrush, and Walker is:
http://www.dynomax.com/soundsofdynomax.php
It allows you to hear exhaust, and if you compare it to the Walker, you can hear the difference from stock.

VXR
05/05/2010, 09:52 PM
Yes thats an X3 on Borla. Mine is not too loud, but has a nice gurgle to it when you get that lead foot. Sounds real sweet when you first start it up.

Ya I like the sound as startup as well:yesb:

vt_maverick
05/06/2010, 06:14 AM
Yeah, I thought that Butterfly could be an interesting idea, never heard of that before, and for a hundred bucks, I'll give it a try along with the SuperTrapp tip unless anyone else has a better idea. I'm a little weary how long that spring will continue to function. Any one have warranty experience with Dynamax? I know back in the day, we honored warranties on the Walkers.

Oh, and the missing thread that I failed to post, rating Dynamax, Thrush, and Walker is:
http://www.dynomax.com/soundsofdynomax.php
It allows you to hear exhaust, and if you compare it to the Walker, you can hear the difference from stock.

Agreed on the valve concern, but they have a 90 day "performance" warranty plus a lifetime warranty. I am curious what the difference between the two is. :_confused

RamAirZ
05/06/2010, 11:07 AM
I've ran a million (well not really that many, but a bunch) of different exhausts on different vehicles in the past. I had a Flowtech Raptor on my 97' Rodeo with the 3.2 SOHC and it sounded great, always got compliments on it. I'm planning on a "true" dual system for the VX using the newer Dynomax Ultraflo x-pipe muffler where the stock muffler sits, dual 2.25 in/out. I'm trying to figure out the best routing for the tailpipes to clear the rear shocks. I may end up Y'ing it together right out of the muffler into a single 3" if all else fails. I've ran this muffler before (not on an Isuzu) and loved it, also ran similar setups on some Nissan's for old customers and they sounded great. Now I just need money haha, this moving cross country thing sucks.

RallyDude
05/06/2010, 04:05 PM
There's also a $25 rebate on the VT & Ultra-Flo mufflers or $75 cat back (for other vehicles) http://www.dynomax.com/promotions.php

So that brings the price down to $75 for the DynoMaxVT, pretty cheap for new technology if it actually works. I'm guessing the 90day/lifetime warranty is 90 days money back, and lifetime rot-thru, but I'll clarify before I buy and question the spring. So I'm going to go for the VT with the SuperTrapp 5" tip. I don't mind posting pictures of the looks of the tip, but do you want chassis photos too? My secret would be up, all the rust from the prior east coast winters! But I think with the two in conjunction it will be respectfully quiet, without being boring.

oh, and so MMOROLEON understands, MUFFLER LOUD, STOCK BAD, AFTERMARKET GOOD.

RallyDude
05/06/2010, 04:44 PM
According to their site, they warrant the mufflers for performance and sound for 90 days including refunding the price of the muffler and $50 in labor as well. Lifetime replacement of worn out or defective.
http://www.dynomax.com/safeandsound.php
Makes me think it's at least worth a try.

vt_maverick
09/24/2010, 06:54 AM
RallyDude, saw you mentioned the SuperTrapp in one of the other ongoing threads. Did you pick up the Dynomax VT yet?

RallyDude
09/24/2010, 07:08 AM
I did buy both the supertrapp and the dynomax VT, but I haven't had them installed yet. I just forked out a bunch to get the 100k service and some other items. I'm not driving the VX right now, but I will be soon, and I know I won't be able to listen to the current exhaust, as it is really loud.

I am looking forward to the setup though.

vt_maverick
09/24/2010, 07:19 AM
Be sure to post video/audio when you get it installed!