PDA

View Full Version : Brakes need to be done

Mile High VX
05/05/2010, 04:52 PM
And I'm all for the OEM pads, but at $250 for the entire set someone help me justify it...:yesgray::yesy::yeso::yesb:

Ldub
05/06/2010, 04:36 AM
And I'm all for the OEM pads, but at $250 for the entire set someone help me justify it...:yesgray::yesy::yeso::yesb:

Ummmm...It's only money?

Did that help?...:_thinking

Mile High VX
05/06/2010, 05:34 AM
Ummmm...It's only money?

Did that help?...:_thinking

Gosh, I feel so much better now...ROFL

Ldub
05/06/2010, 05:43 AM
Gosh, I feel so much better now...ROFL

I think of it as a $50.00 a yr investment, since a set of pads usually last 4 yrs.

That better?...:smilewink

tom4bren
05/06/2010, 07:12 AM
Brakes are not something you should skimp on. Several members have used aftermarket pads & didn't like them from a performance perspective. That's enough for me to stick with OEM.

On the flip side, I've used aftermarket pads on other vehicles & they NEVER seem to last as long as OEM. What was saved on initial purchase was lost in re-do.

"There's never time to do it right ... but there's always time to do it over"

Words of wisdom passed down from dear ol' Dad!

WormGod
05/06/2010, 07:25 AM
I actually looked into replacing brakes altogether with a Brembo kit but there is nothing remotely close to an proper ISUZU fitment for us. I suppose some brute work could be done to get some application to work, but I can;t imagine the cost of that on top of a big brake kit alone. :(

TheGanzman
05/06/2010, 07:43 AM
How 'bout this: NO squeaking/brake noise, almost ZERO brake dust on the wheels, and incredible longevity - that work for ya'? My VX has 64K miles on it, all pads are original, with ~90% left on 'em. You routinely see folks on this forum that are replacing their pads for the FIRST time with 100K+ miles on 'em...

Mile High VX
05/06/2010, 12:04 PM
Took the VX to the old Isuzu dealership to let them look at what I really needed. Basically needs pads, rotors, seals, repack bearings, etc...they want $1500 to do the whole deal.

I've done lots of mechanic work, but never brakes. Is this something I dare tackle in the garage, let the Isuzu guys do it, or take it to one of those "franchise" shops like Midas or Brakes Plus?

:upsetgray:mady::mado::madb:

MSHardeman
05/06/2010, 12:41 PM
If you're a little mechanically inclined, and don't mind getting dirty, I think this is probably something that you can handle. There are a few sets of good instructions to get you through everything that you need to do. I don't consider myself a mechanic in any way, but with Kenny's rotor replacement/wheel bearing repack write up ( http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=11324&highlight=bearing+repack ) and the PlantIsuzoo wheel bearing repack write up ( http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm?id=56&Isuzu_Front_Bearing_Repack ) I had no problem getting all of that done. I've repacked my bearings twice now, so it's starting to become second nature to me.

If you can wait until after Moab (that'll give you time to get all of the parts and pieces you'll need) I would gladly drive over to the Denver area for a little VX get together/ bearing repack party.:dance:

4X4 UFO
05/06/2010, 01:56 PM
You can save a little by using OEM pads up front, and aftermarket pads in the rear. Most of the braking load is handled by the front end.....I recommend the OEM pads, though. One of my Vehicri came with new aftermarket pads, and I put new OEM pads on the other one, and the OEM pads are FAR superior.

Randy

MSHardeman
05/06/2010, 02:33 PM
I know traditionally most of the braking load is handled by the front wheels, but it seems like most VX's have some kind of proportioning problem. When I replaced my stock original pads at 80k miles, or so, the front pads looked almost brand new, whereas the rear pads where pretty worn.

I know they're expensive, but I would say OEM pads all around.

Ldub
05/06/2010, 03:45 PM
I know traditionally most of the braking load is handled by the front wheels, but it seems like most VX's have some kind of proportioning problem. When I replaced my stock original pads at 80k miles, or so, the front pads looked almost brand new, whereas the rear pads where pretty worn.

I know they're expensive, but I would say OEM pads all around.

DITTO...:yesgray:

Mile High VX
05/06/2010, 04:22 PM
So I'm going to go with OEM pads...any thoughts on the rotors. I know many have gone with the drilled R1 or other brands. I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts on this.

And also, should I just go ahead and put new bearings in or repack the ones I have. New bearings will add about $300 to the damage...:(

THanks for the help and support. I love this place...:smilewink:bwgy::bgwo::bgwb:

MSHardeman
05/06/2010, 04:39 PM
I think all the previous owners of your VX took pretty good care of it, so unless you're feeling or hearing some strange noises coming from the front end I'm sure you could get away with just repacking your old bearings.

When I replaced my rotors I went with SP Performance drilled and slotted rotors and haven't had any problems with them. I don't have any experience with the R1's, but I've heard good things from everyone here. I don't think any of us will push the brakes to the point of actually needing drilled and/or slotted rotors so it's mostly an aesthetic choice. Since you've decided to spend the money on stock pads, could you just have your stock rotors turned to save a few bucks there?

Mile High VX
05/06/2010, 05:52 PM
The dealership said that they were rusting pretty bad and needed to be replaced...:(. He told me that Isuzu didn't do a great job of using any protectant to keep them from this...

Mile High VX
05/07/2010, 09:27 AM
Took her in for a second opinion today and a completely different story. Guy said I have plenty of pad left and he wouldn't do anything until the end of summer in preparation for the winter here is CO.

He said the rotors had some surface rust, but nothing to warrant replacing them.

I guess whoever coined the phrase on the forum of "stealership" wasn't too far off in this case.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions and encouragement.

MSHardeman you can still come on over the we'll get the CO VXers together this summer.

circmand
05/07/2010, 10:35 AM
Took her in for a second opinion today and a completely different story. Guy said I have plenty of pad left and he wouldn't do anything until the end of summer in preparation for the winter here is CO.

He said the rotors had some surface rust, but nothing to warrant replacing them.

I guess whoever coined the phrase on the forum of "stealership" wasn't too far off in this case.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions and encouragement.

MSHardeman you can still come on over the we'll get the CO VXers together this summer.

Dealership for parts, private mechanic for service.

Mile High VX
05/07/2010, 10:45 AM
:thumbup:
Dealership for parts, private mechanic for service.

RallyDude
05/07/2010, 10:54 AM
MSHardeman, I don't have enough experience with the VX, but every other vehicle I've owned, you would replace the front pads a few times before having to replace the rears. I can't imagine this is normal for a VX, I'm thinking a problem with the master cylinder? Do you notice poor braking?

MileHigh, Also I can't attest to the brakes on a VX, but brakes in general, are usually a fairly easy DIY project, especially disc brakes. Some require special tools. If your handy, brakes will be easy for you. I usually just inspect and repack the bearings, it's a little overkill to replace them every time along with the pads. So justify the OEM pads with the money you saved on the bearings. The first and probably most noticeable upgrade would be SS brake lines to rid yourself of the sssqqquuuiiissshhhh..
I'd like to hear from drilled/slotted rotor owners as well, I have heard that slotted rotors can build up ice in the slots, decreasing braking in the snow. Plus MileHigh, I'm guessing you make it up to the mountains, if the drilled rotors do help cool them, that will save the rotors from warping. Again, that is an upgrade, if you want to save $$, just have them turned, or if flat enough, just replace the pads.
In my experience, brake shops are the worst place to take your car. They sell you cheap lifetime pads, but you end up paying them to replace those "free" lifetime pads every year. You or your regular trusted mechanic are the best ways to repair them. I almost never take it to the dealership as it is too expensive. I always pick repair shops that specialize in the type of car being fixed. Brakes are usually the first DIY project after changing the oil, so for this project, do it yourself and I think you'll be surprised at how easy and rewarding it is.

RallyDude
05/07/2010, 11:04 AM
I like the idea of a CO VX get together. Great trails start right from my house.

You don't need to change pads until you're making scraping noises. Then you need to change them right away. Usually surface rusting of rotors gets scraped off by pads when you use them. I'm surprised in CO that you have any of that at all. Glad you got good advise and have a bit of time to decide how you want to take care of it.

MSHardeman
05/07/2010, 11:21 AM
RallyDude, I am surprised by the VX pad wear too, but it seems to be pretty common on all VX's. Actually my dad owns a Chevy Blazer Extreme and he is still on his original set of front brake pads at over 200k miles. He's replaced the rear pads a few times, but the front ones are still going strong.

Is this some new phenomenon in the car industry?:_confused

Mile High VX
05/07/2010, 11:26 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Pass_Rear.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Pass_Front.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Driver_Rear.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Driver_Front.jpg