PDA

View Full Version : A/C check?

hellomoto
05/17/2010, 01:43 PM
How do you check / top up the oil on the the AC compressor? Mine is working fine (fingers crossed) and I would like to keep it that way.

tom4bren
05/18/2010, 06:54 AM
IIRC, there isn't anything servicable on the AC compressor.

Someone with more (any???) experience with this will have to chime in.

deermagnet
05/18/2010, 07:28 AM
I think he's talking about the refrigerant/oil that you can add to the lines.

If it's working fine for you, I wouldn't mess with it, not even check it. Ya never know what can go wrong or break doing the simplest things.

If ya really wanna check it, it's easy enough to do. Ya just need an A/C pressure check device. Maybe they're sold separately, but they also come with the recharge cans. It goes on the low pressure port which has a green cap and I believe has a L on the cap. You can't put it on the high pressure port 'cuz they're different sizes to prevent that. The compressor has to be running to get the correct reading. Even with the A/C on the compressor may be cycling on and off due to conditions, so be sure it's on when reading. Follow the directions on the can. If ya over fill it, that's a problem that a pro has to correct.

http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/img/vx2/imgp3.jpg

Again, if it works fine, I wouldn't touch it.

Mark

tom4bren
05/18/2010, 08:06 AM
Dats why I deferred to the expert:)

I thought that the refridgerant contained the lubricant for the compressor but wasn't sure (typically refridgerants & lubricants don't work well together).

hellomoto
05/18/2010, 05:50 PM
I wasn't sure if they was an oil system for the compressor unit. Just wanted to make sure. The A/C is working great, even here in Floridas 90+.
Thanks to all for your feed back.