PDA

View Full Version : Car shaking and pulling in rear can't drive

Mrmonk7663
05/20/2010, 02:58 PM
Hi guys. I need some help. My brake pad fell off beacaise the pad was worn down. So I had to change the calipers and rotors and pads. I changed both sides on rear and bled brakes. I also put 265/65/18 rear tires on...the front are 265/60(shorter). I test drove car and when I am coasting the steering is jerking everywhere and loud audible clunks are heard which vibrate the floor board buy not necesarily hit it. I greased the ds in all 3 fittings. What is going on? It did not do this before new brakes and tires. I rechecked brakes and all looks good. Brakes work fine the car stops good buy when coasting it's hard not to wreck. It's not the tranny or engine. 4wheel low works too. Does this sound like rear end? And if so could it be mismatched front/ rear tires being the problem or could simply jacking the car up from the rear pumpkin cause this? Please help. Thanks.

VX crazy
05/20/2010, 03:04 PM
try putting all 4 same size tires on and see if that makes a difference....is your TOD lights freaking out on the dash?

Mile High VX
05/20/2010, 03:06 PM
It is vital that all 4 tires be exactly the same size...if they are not it drives the TOD crazy and you get these issues.

You'll find many on the forum that have experienced issues like this and they all went away once he tires were all made to be the same.

Hope this helps.

Mrmonk7663
05/20/2010, 03:06 PM
The Tod is freaking out but doing q quick search I think it might be the tires. Since we are full time 4wd evidently front and rear must be same siz le or else slippage occurs from axle speed differences. The new tires are almost an inch taller...I'm betting this is the issue...I'm hoping lol

phines
05/20/2010, 03:12 PM
that's definitely the issue. I know that sound too, kinda scary huh?
________
LovelyWendie99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

Mrmonk7663
05/20/2010, 04:10 PM
Very scary haha. Thanks for the confirmation yall. I need new front tires anyway. Thanks again

Riff Raff
05/20/2010, 05:59 PM
Ideally, all four(4) tires should be brand spanking new and the same exact part number on a VX (no mix-matches of any kind). If you only replace two(2) tires, make sure they are the same exact part number as the older ones and put the brand new tires on the REAR axle (not front).

Leaving worn (thereby smaller diameter) tires on the rear axle will cause the TOD system to think the rear tires are slipping on ice/snow because they are rotating faster due to the smaller diameter from the worn tread. The TOD system will freak-out and constantly try to increase front axle power percentage to compensate the mis-matched rotation diameter between front & rear.

Again, keep all tires the same exact part number and try to buy four(4) brand new tires if possible. If not; put the two(2) brand new tires on the REAR axle only.:bgwb:

Mrmonk7663
05/20/2010, 06:47 PM
Sounds like a plan. Currently the rear tires are 1.5" taller...quite a large difference. I'll see if I can get two new tires tomorrow and put them on the rear and put the good used ones up front. Thanks.

tom4bren
05/21/2010, 06:11 AM
Sounds like you may also have a case of Ldub's wobbly rear end.

VX KAT
05/21/2010, 08:33 AM
Sounds like you may also have a case of Ldub's wobbly rear end.

:_thinking Somehow, amongst all the Moab revelry, I musta missed Dub's wobbly rear end...uhmmm, or was that a problem after he had too many chocolate monkees?

What, pray tell, is a wobbly rear end in VX speak?

tom4bren
05/21/2010, 08:59 AM
Sorry, I mis quoted - he had a 'waggly rear end'

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17825

etlsport
05/21/2010, 09:01 AM
iirc where dubs trailing arms connect to the frame, the holes had become oblong and allowing movement, which resulted in a kind of sway at high speeds

who's idea was it to put different sized tires on your VX? if it was a shop i would demand they buy them back or replace your fronts, and any damage to the transfer case should be covered too... any tire guy should know that AWD should NEVER have different size tires (unless it came that way from the factory.. ie caddy SRX)

VX KAT
05/21/2010, 09:55 AM
Ohhh, is that why you wanted to be in the very back of the line up Dub? Were you embarrassed by this problem?:mbrasd:

I know, I know, :slap:

Ldub
05/22/2010, 01:00 AM
Ohhh, is that why you wanted to be in the very back of the line up Dub? Were you embarrassed by this problem?:mbrasd:

I know, I know, :slap:

If I'm tail gunner, it usually keeps me at a safe distance from other parties who may be in grave personal danger if within my reach...:naughty:...:yesgray:

As far as my waggly rear end is concerned...fixeded before Moab...:yes:

Mrmonk7663
06/08/2010, 04:30 PM
Yes, 100% it was the SHOP's Idea (which means my shop in my backyard) I just wanted to update that I got the new front tires and the car is back on the road driving fine for the past week. I'll not make that mistake again :-) Thanks for the help with this problem guys.