PDA

View Full Version : New Project...Dana 44 front...Keep IFS!!!

BigMeatVX
05/21/2010, 12:57 PM
Ok so this summers project is to upgrade both the stregth of the front CVs and Ring and pinion on my VX, and also at the same time, increase the front wheel travel...lastly I will be beefing up all the sterring parts with HD stuff!;)

I have a Dana 44 Hi-pinion front axle out of a Ford, that I will be cutting and narrowing down to a simmilar width as the isuzu 10 bolt front axle housing...I will be using 30 or 33 spline axles and Porshe 934.5 race prepped CVs on the inboard side. on the outer CV I will be using a GM 3500 HD CV joint, coupled to a GM 1500 series Hub, brakes, spindle ect...(also 6 lug):yesgray:

this will be a MAJOR improvement over the isuzu OEM parts, both in strength and CV angles...(not to mention gearing and diff choices)

I am going to TRY to keep the costs under 2K if possible (comparable to a SFA swap) and will update this thread with my progress, part #s, measurements, ect...

RamAirZ
05/21/2010, 12:59 PM
Talk about a project! Should be freaking awesome! I contemplated doing something similar awhile back on the Rodeo just never came to be, 2 new kids and a new house put that kinda out of the box thinking on the back burner haha! I've been trying to design a control arm/t-bar drop of sorts to give alot more lift as well as down travel for the IFS fronts for these things, maybe that's something you could look into too!

Triathlete
05/21/2010, 01:16 PM
Alan, when doing this you might concider dumping the tbars and doing coil overs... that in itself would greatly improve the flex.

RamAirZ
05/21/2010, 01:24 PM
That would be pretty sweet, maybe open up the lower control arm (or make new ones) to allow clearance on up travel for the CV's (problem if you drop your diff too far now.)

BigMeatVX
05/21/2010, 09:47 PM
That would be pretty sweet, maybe open up the lower control arm (or make new ones) to allow clearance on up travel for the CV's (problem if you drop your diff too far now.)

Yeah, thats a good idea, I was looking at taking a cut off wheel to the lower one today....one thing at a time though....:p

Years back, I trashed both CVs because the Lower A-Arms hit while landing a jump,LOL:bwgy:

Moving the inner CVs inboard a bit, will help also...

RamAirZ
05/21/2010, 10:04 PM
lol ya that uptravel can be a bitch haha

BigMeatVX
05/30/2010, 09:23 PM
Well the soild Dana 44 hi pinion is out....the case will interfere with the oil pan TOO much, So I will be using a Ford TTB center Dana 44...:bwgy:

phines
05/31/2010, 10:39 AM
You know I'm in to 'experiment' with whatever you come up with... just let me know. Can I just send you my VX? :laughy::laughy:
________
How To Roll Blunts (http://howtorollablunt.net/)

BigMeatVX
07/22/2010, 12:18 AM
GOT MY NEW KNUCKLES THE OTHER DAY....

They are off of a 98-04 Toyota Land Cruiser ....
Got the knuckles with the spindles and also the hubs....and rotors and calipers and drive flanges.......

Also picked up a Ford F250 Dana 44 front TTB center section....
I will be adding a short tube on the dana 44 to allow it to be the same length as the isuzu IFS housing....using a Toyota inner stub shaft in the housing...

In the Diff I now plan on useing a Air locker with GM 12 bolt spiders installed...these are the same spline as the Toyota axles...

These Toyota parts are the BEEFIEST of all Toyotas up untill 07 (newer Toy axles are WEAK)....and have real 30 spline axles...(others are 27 spline) even on the inner CV star...The chromolly axles are availble for only $65 each side (EMPI) and the complete CV axles are only 105 and are the same on both sides.
The CVs are HUGE...even bigger than GM 1-TON TRUCKS.

Ill get some pics up as soon as I get the CVs and stub shaft....

RamAirZ
07/22/2010, 10:01 AM
Awesome!!! This is gonna be sweet, that and the LC brakes should be better lol and I'm pretty sure there are aftermarket upgrades on those brakes too

BigMeatVX
07/22/2010, 10:43 AM
Awesome!!! This is gonna be sweet, that and the LC brakes should be better lol and I'm pretty sure there are aftermarket upgrades on those brakes too

Yeah the calpiers are 4 piston instead of the VXs single piston...

RamAirZ
07/22/2010, 10:59 AM
Ya I was being a little coy lol, the rotor diameter is even 12.3" which will pretty much match our current rear rotor size. Nice upgrade once you get all this stuff figured out and together. Gonna be sweet