PDA

View Full Version : Battery problem

ameetw
08/24/2003, 03:30 AM
Does anyone have this problem, a month after installing a new battery, there seems to be some white stuff around the metal plate holding the battery in place. (not the terminals). Any suggestions on how to stop this from happening?
Thanks.

Joe_Black
08/24/2003, 04:08 AM
Sounds like it may have gotten a bit hot and vented or may have been overfull of electrolyte. Get an Optima Red or Yellow top battery and you'll bever see that again or have terminal corrosion. Otherwise, just keep clean and check periodically as wet-type batteries are constantly venting gas and sometimes liquid. That's part of what causes corrosion of the terminals and nearby metal objects.

ameetw
08/24/2003, 08:46 AM
I've looked at the batteries, and there are so many choices. Which one do you recommend? I can't buy it of the shelf here because my Vx is the only Vx in town. Nobody has ever seen this type of vehicle here.... me happy :). Thanks for the info.

TDAWG
08/24/2003, 10:59 AM
If there's a PepBoys in your area, They'll have the Optima Batteries. Trust me, I work for one and they kkep some in stock.

Joe_Black
08/24/2003, 11:08 AM
Like TDAWG says, PepBoys or many other places like AutoZone, Discount Auto Parts or even go to the OPTIMA WEBSITE (http://www.optimabatteries.com/) and search for a dealer.

Pretty much all you need to do is decide is you want the Red Top or the Yellow Top and make sure the terminals are oriented the same as yours. They'll probably tell you it won't fit, but it will as long as the terminals are the same, which are standard. Where you go might have a reversed-terminal on hand and try and shove it off on you to get it out of inventory. The Red Top is the most common and the Yellow (deep cycle) would be good if you plan on having a monster stereo, lots of lights and maybe a winch.

WyrreJ
08/24/2003, 08:23 PM
Do any of those chains even exist in Malaysia?

johnnyapollo
08/24/2003, 08:36 PM
Several for sale on eBay:

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/SaleSearch?satitle=optima+red&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&BasicSearch=

Great prices too. Some of the sellers won't sell outside the US, so read the ads carefully.

-- John

ameetw
08/24/2003, 08:52 PM
Don't expect too much in Malaysia, well maybe in West Malaysia, not the Borneo side. We do have IKEA, Carrefour, but like I said West Malaysia only. All the batteries have to be special import.
The Optima here I checked is about US250, The standard one is about US20. See the price difference???

Anyway thanks for the info....