PDA

View Full Version : Advice on New Wheels

TechnoPope
05/31/2010, 07:28 PM
I am in urgent need of new wheels and tires for the VX. Due to an accident with my other car Friday, my VX will now be my daily driver. Currently, I have a set of old rims mounted with winter only tires. I could only visit one local shop before everything closed for the holiday weekend. He and/or his computer was perplexed by our very positive offset and said he could not help me. I turned to the internet and found a few wheel/tire packages I like but need to make a decision about what offset to choose.

My Proton is stock height. I don't mind trimming if needed, but I do want the wheels tucked in as close to original as possible. Searching our site, I found that most have 0 or maybe +18 offset on their new wheels (and many examples are lifted).

I plan to mount a tire of this size: P265/60R-18 109T (The same tire also comes in 265/65. It would fill up the well better but I am concerned it might be too big). I don't need the 285 width that poses the bigger fitment challenge with new wheels.

My 18 inch wheel choices with correct bore are all 9 inch width and can be had with the following offset: +30, +25, +12 and 0. They all claim designed extra clearance for calipers so I don't think that will be an issue.

Does anyone have any experience with 9 inch, +25 to +30 wheels?
Any advice?

Thanks for your help.

etlsport
06/01/2010, 05:49 AM
if you are not going to lift I would probably go with 265/60 they are larger, but not so large as to cause clearance issues. the 265/65 would probably work depending on your wheel, but would make you trim more, the taller tire is going to give you more sidewall flex too especially if you go with a T speed rated tire. an H is what isuzu calls for and is factory, that will have a stiffer sidewall for cornering. sadly its tough to find tires that size with an H speed rating. the only one i found that I liked was the goodyear fortera tripletred. they cost an arm and a leg though

as for your wheels....

factory wheels are as follows
178mm wide. 127mm from inner lip to hub (protrusion into the wheel well) 51mm to outer lip of wheel

on your 9 inch wheel it will go...

0 offset - 114mm inner lip to hub... 114mm hub to outer lip

+12 offset - 126mm inner lip to hub.. 102mm hub to outer lip

+25 offset - 139mm inner lip to hub.. 89mm hub to outer lip

+30 offset - 144mm inner lip to hub.. 84mm hub to outer lip

so the +30 offset will get you as close as possible to factory offset LOOK but they will stick into the fenders much farther than stock, may cause rubbing issues on the inside of the fender/control arms, i havent looked closely at that area to see what kind of space we are working with.

the +25 offset would probably be my choice, its a good "centered" wheel as compared to stock. a little farther into the wheel well and a little further out of the wheel well. if you go this route make sure to test fit before driving too far just in case there's any contact in the inner fender well. they do stick into the fenders about 12mm farther than factory

the +12 offset i know for sure will work with some trimming. the numbers are very close to 8" wheels with a 0 offset (101mm inner lip to hub, 101mm hub to outer lip) which is what i have. so check my gallery for an idea of how they would look. my tires are 285's so they stick out farther than yours will by about .25" (although the wider wheel may negate that, and you will probably look very similar to what you see in my gallery)

the 0 offset is going to stick out way past the fenders.. this will require a lot of trimming, but in the event of an accident will allow you to drive over vehicles instead of running into them ;Db;

tom4bren
06/01/2010, 07:11 AM
... the 0 offset is going to stick out way past the fenders.. this will require a lot of trimming, but in the event of an accident will allow you to drive over vehicles instead of running into them ;Db;

I have no response to that!

circmand
06/01/2010, 07:56 AM
Do research before you need them and make a decision at your leisure and buy on sale or at the best price

JAMAS
06/01/2010, 08:26 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16656

Want them back?:)

TechnoPope
06/16/2010, 01:42 PM
JAMAS: PM sent

Thanks ETLSPORT for the write up.

I ordered the +25 wheels and later was informed they were sold out. When talking to the manufacturer, they told me no way on the +25 and would refuse a return if I re-ordered. They told me +18 was the positive max on the VX with a 9 inch wheel. I am not sure why the +25 would not be worth a try. It seems like it should work with a resonable tire. However, all we have is our calculations. It appears that no one on the forums has any experience with the higher positive offset replacement wheels.

Thanks all.

Frank