PDA

View Full Version : Need a new driveshaft!

VXIRONwoMAN
06/17/2010, 09:43 AM
My mechanic is out of the country and I am not sure which part of the driveshaft I need. I know he balanced it a while ago... but it is all messed up. I need a new one. I ordered one through a dealer, it was backordered, I paid for it, they got taken over by new owners and I got screwed. I need a driveshaft! Can anyone help out? Spare parts anywhere? :( Otherwise, I will order it through good ol' Merlin!

VX crazy
06/17/2010, 09:52 AM
C I know you have talked about this before but what problem is it giving you? How could you tell you needed driveshaft? I am not sure I would sell mine as it seperated in the wreck so I am not sure if that messed it up.......but I have a grinding noise since Moab, & 912 springs & 32 tires, on deceleration and wondering what issues you had.....

Triathlete
06/17/2010, 10:06 AM
Are you sure you need an entire shaft or just the u-joint at the rear of the shaft? Unless something hit the shaft there is really not much that can go wrong with it (possibly your mech mis-balanced it?). The u-joint is what usually goes out on a shaft. Usually if they are bad you will have some slop in the shaft...you will be able to move it side to side or up and down a bit. I have a u-joint in my garage that I ordered from Merlin a while back so he should be able to get them. I would try that first. You would want a new one anyways if you replace the shaft anyways so might as well try that first.

tom4bren
06/17/2010, 10:13 AM
may wanna PM Travelin2. He's the one that added a disconnect to his driveshaft for towing. He's prolly got more experience with the driveshaft than anyone.

You could also PM Marlin. He found a cupla VXs in boneyards & could help you contact the right person.

Billy's right. You may only need to remove the driveshaft & take it to a specialty shop to be balanced. Then reinstall with new U-joints.

Marlin
06/17/2010, 10:53 AM
may wanna PM Travelin2. He's the one that added a disconnect to his driveshaft for towing. He's prolly got more experience with the driveshaft than anyone.

You could also PM Marlin. He found a cupla VXs in boneyards & could help you contact the right person.

Billy's right. You may only need to remove the driveshaft & take it to a specialty shop to be balanced. Then reinstall with new U-joints.

Let me know what you find out, I can get the one here, it only has like 80K on it. He is reasonable with his prices, and shipping for the U joint wont be bad, 15 bucks for USPS flat rate. If the whole shaft, I will have to look into the price. Let me know.

tomdietrying
06/17/2010, 12:27 PM
I know a couple of years ago my VX was shaking when I got up to 40 mph. I soon discovered it was my U-joint that needed replacing. If it's shaking at around 35-40 mph that's what I would look at first.
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
We missed you and Gill at Moab this year. Hopefully, y'all can make it next year.

Ascinder
06/17/2010, 01:00 PM
I have a driveshaft sitting on the shelf right now. Let me know. I'll send it on out for whatever you think is fair. If you need pics, let me know. Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back(minus shipping).

VXIRONwoMAN
06/17/2010, 08:45 PM
I have already replaced the U-Joints post-Moab 2008, and the drive shaft was balanced. Having it balanced temporarily helped, but did not fix it, and now it is back to normal and getting much louder! It sounds like I am driving over the rumble strips on the side of the road to wake sleepy drivers. It grinds at highway speed when lightly getting off the gas. Accelerating has no grinding and completely off the gas has no grinding, in between lots of grinding over 60mph.

Was told by Merlin that (although not too common) it is not unusual for the drive shaft to fail internally as it is many parts put together, not a solid piece. Of course, with my luck, I get this problem. The dealer claims the lift and big tires are not affecting it, it is a faulty drive shaft (they think...).

Ascinder, I will get back to you on your drive shaft... Is it both pieces? or just one? There are two parts to the drive shaft according to Merlin. I need to find out which I ordered. Much Thanks!!!

Ascinder
06/17/2010, 09:12 PM
I have both pieces.

VX crazy
06/18/2010, 05:05 AM
Well Cece, that is my exact problem as well so your not the only one, but funny how mine JUST started since going from 31" tires to 32" tires and the 912 springs....although others are not having that problem.....How long did balancing the driveshaft fix your problem?

VXIRONwoMAN
06/20/2010, 12:51 AM
It didn't really fix it, it made it less noisy for like a week maybe...

VXIRONwoMAN
06/22/2010, 07:39 PM
Okay, so I was getting my brakes done at the mechanic and he noticed I need a new transfer case mount. Maybe, that's what I've needed all along. I ordered the part from Merlin. I will let you know once it is replaced.

Triathlete
06/22/2010, 09:07 PM
That would definately cause driveshaft noise.

VX crazy
06/30/2010, 10:33 AM
Hey Cece, have you had that part replaced yet? I am wondering if it helped, mine is getting worse, gonna do u joints first than if yours gets fixed with mount I will try that.

VXIRONwoMAN
06/30/2010, 11:33 AM
I just got the mount yesterday. I gotta bring it in to have it installed. I work today and tomorrow. I will bring it in Friday and let you know...

Triathlete
06/30/2010, 01:14 PM
Lisa you can check the mount pretty easy. Just need to crawl under the VX (when it is cool) and try to push the transfer case/tranny up and down. If it moves the mount is either bad or the bolts have come loose (has happened to quite a few on here including me). Because the mount has a rubber "block" in it it tends to vibrate loose over time.

VX crazy
06/30/2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks Billy, yeah, Jay and I looked at it this weekend and he couldnt get it to move.....I will start with u joints first and see what happens.

VXIRONwoMAN
07/26/2010, 07:39 PM
Figure anything out?

BigSwede
07/27/2010, 10:00 AM
CeCe, according to Allen the prime suspect is a worn slip-joint.

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13741
http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18329

I have not looked into mine yet...the luxury of it not being my DD. But if that is indeed the problem, a driveshaft shop should be able to replace that slip joint for you on the existing driveshaft.

VX crazy
07/27/2010, 10:21 AM
I still have not had time to take mine in to the driveshaft place......going to do my front brakes this weekend......greasing my driveshaft made the noise go away for a day! Cece what if this whole time its been your slipyoke and you just had it to the wrong place to get fixed? I would take it to a driveline place where its all they do.......Ryan let us know if your is fixed after they replaced your ujoints alone....

VX crazy
07/27/2010, 05:33 PM
correction....I will be gimping it to the shop in the morning.....not sure if when I accidently drifted it about a month ago (glad I didnt flip) if that did something to the brake caliper on the passenger side, but I have a bad grinding over there with braking and took the tire off tonight and go figure cant brake loose the bolts holding it on.....never can, dang bad shoulder and no strong guys around! hoping that its something easy as this one feels like a Cece VX lol.....thank goodness for medication.....

VXIRONwoMAN
07/28/2010, 01:33 AM
this one feels like a Cece VX lol... Too funny... this will be the new term for chronically troubled VXes desperately in need of a skillful or wealthy new owner...:smilewink

Ldub
07/28/2010, 01:38 AM
and no strong guys around, hoping that its something easy .....

Jeez Lisa...SETTLE DOWN...:laughing:

Ldub
07/28/2010, 01:40 AM
Too funny... this will be the new term for chronically troubled VXes desperately in need of a skillful or wealthy new owner...:smilewink

Sounds better than a "Munson"...:smilewink

LittleBeast
08/03/2010, 05:31 PM
Driveshaft place said yoke is perfect, U-joints are shot. Called Merlin, got both u-joints ordered for the rear driveshaft, but wouldn't you know it each u-joint is a different size and 1 is back ordered :) So I need to figure out which other size I need and order that one from Indy4x, because the driveshaft shop has my rear drivesahft and only 1 of the new u-joints.

ALSO:

Looking through the Vehicross Manual and found out that our FRONT PROPELLER (DRIVESHAFT) has CV's much like our front axles and if these go out it can cause driveline shaking. SO I crawled under there and BOTH of my CV's on the FRONT driveshaft are shot and look like they have been that way for a while, the joint is dry and does not look good at all. Looks like after I get new U-joints for the rear I will be having the front driveshaft (or front propeller as the manual calls it) rebuilt. Any suggestions on how to do this or who to go to? Think the same place could rebuild it? Also manual says if shaking is happening to try and reposition the front driveshaft (propeller) to different holes on the front (diff) side when reinstalling allen bolts. I will try that after rebuilding the CV's on the front driveshaft (propeller).

For more info if you have the Vehicross Service manual just do a search for "front propeller shaft" and you will see what I mean.

LittleBeast
08/03/2010, 05:39 PM
Found some more info, so I think 1 item to rebuild the front propeller shaft (from the transfer case to the front axle) is this:

Transfer Case : Input Shaft Repair Sleeve http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1118230

I am assuming I will need the bearings, seals, and pilot bearings as well? Maybe?

Triathlete
08/03/2010, 06:08 PM
That sleeve looks like a temperary fix...just a piece that gets wedged in there to take up the slop.

LittleBeast
08/03/2010, 08:20 PM
I was thinking that sleeve is the CV boot for the front propeller shaft, maybe I am way off, I am just in the beginning stages here on understanding how to fix the CV's on the front driveshaft. After I talk to the local driveshaft place tomorrow I might know a little more.

VX crazy
08/04/2010, 10:14 AM
Ryan, what a pain in the hiney! Thank goodness I have my u joints off other vx, when I called Isuzu they had them, so that must be a new thing to be backordered....ugh....

LittleBeast
08/09/2010, 10:08 PM
I ordered both size U-joints from Indy4x hoping one of them will be the one I need, and then maybe I will return the one that Isuzu had in stock if both Indy ones work. Isuzu does not list any parts for the rebuilding of the front driveshaft, I am just going to take it off and take it down to the local drivetrain shop and see what they think.

VXIRONwoMAN
08/09/2010, 10:58 PM
I was given a number to a must go to guy in Ogden, UT. He is supposedly the BEST in driveshaft rebuilds and guarantees his work. He may not be familiar with a VX and may need a "model" driveshaft to go off of... Tom Woods Driveshafts 877-4XSHAFT (877-497-4238). Don't know if it will help, but desperate times call for desperate measures!

VX crazy
08/10/2010, 05:06 AM
Cece, whats your replacement gonna be??????? We are all curious!

Ldub
08/10/2010, 05:18 AM
I was given a number to a must go to guy in Ogden, UT. He is supposedly the BEST in driveshaft rebuilds and guarantees his work. He may not be familiar with a VX and may need a "model" driveshaft to go off of... Tom Woods Driveshafts 877-4XSHAFT (877-497-4238).

Uhhhh...yeah, looks like "go to guy" might be a bit of an underststement...:yesgray:

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Triathlete
08/10/2010, 02:38 PM
Tom Woods is THE drive shaft guy in the performance/off road world.:yesy:

VXIRONwoMAN
08/10/2010, 07:57 PM
A guy at my work recommended him... glad to know he is as good as I was led to believe... LOL

Lisa, as for my new ride... Not quite sure what the replacement will be. I am waiting to purchase to make sure whatever I buy I am happy with.