PDA

View Full Version : Long on Enthusiasm, Short on Experience - Looking for Ideas

Vendetta
06/20/2010, 08:54 PM
Hey gang,

I just joined up a week or two ago. I've read a ton here and have gotten a helluva schooling on what's possible with our VXs. Have to say, I'm pretty excited about them, too.

Here's the deal. My 1999's engine started knocking deep and loud at about the ~80K mark two years ago. I was told it pretty much needs a new motor or a rebuild. I didn't have the smash to do that, so I just garaged it. Now it's time to get it back in action.

I figure while the work's being done, might as well do it right (within reason). I'm open to swapping the engine with a PROVEN alternative, but I'm not going to upgrade the transmission. I'm trying to keep it on somewhat of a budget. So what I'd like to accomplish is basically to max out the performance within the tolerance of the transmission. (Admittedly, I have NO IDEA what an upgraded transmission would run, but I imagine it would be a significant uptick in the project cost.)

The place that's doing the work is relying on me to sort some of the details out before they start tinkering, and I want to be confident in my choices and educated on the costs before I pull the trigger.

So, experts out there, can you lend some focused advice to a grateful 10-year owner whose VX needs some TLC? I've searched, I've found, and I've read on here. I've shopped around on eBay for 8th-digit "X" VIN motors. I've been excited about the Direct Injection chatter, and gutted after learning about the associated wiring issues. Same with the supercharger option, only to learn they're disco'd and now waiting for a new option that's been long in the creation. (Should I stick with the OEM motor so I'll be able to SC it when the kit is available?) Should I have my motor rebuilt and maybe worked a bit? Should I get a swap? If I get a swap, should it be the later model less prone to oil consumption, etc? If I DO get a later model, will it be a clean drop-in or will my mechanic be like, "ummm.... WTF?" cause the ECU or harness or whatever else I don't know about will be different?

I'm all ears, you guys and gals. And again, I'll be very grateful for any truly experienced advice here.

Cheers!
-V

VX KAT
06/20/2010, 09:21 PM
Probably saw all these, but thought I'd put 'em all on one post.

This guy (iamironman) did a complete engine swap with an '02 Axiom and everything worked out. He hasn't posted for ages, so maybe an email would be best. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15156&highlight=axiom+02
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16136&highlight=axiom+02
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15789&highlight=axiom+02
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=144306&postcount=11

This guy (BigMeatVX) just finished converting his to a 5 speed, and has an unbelievable amount of knowledge on every square inch of the VX and I think any engine ever made period!. He's posted many times about an engine swap.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=17851&highlight=axiom+02

Another member (Ascinder), is also doing some swap and has bookoo knowledge!

Riff Raff
06/20/2010, 09:38 PM
My 1999's engine started knocking deep and loud at about the ~80K mark two years ago.

VENDETTA--- Before you do anything else, you may want to simply replace the "Tension Pulley" for the Serpentine Belt (and replace the belt while you're at it, too). There has been recent discussion, that the Serpentine's "Tension Pulley" can be the primary source for a knocking engine related sound. Do a search on this forum for: "Tension Pulley"

Vendetta
06/20/2010, 09:47 PM
Thank you VX KAT and Riff Raff.

Kat, I've seen those threads, but I appreciate your putting them together for me (and others who may end up tomorrow where I am today). And Riff, WOW, wouldn't that be great if that's all it were? Funny thing is, back in the early 90's, I had a Supra Turbo whose pully went (harmonic balancer - is there such a thing?) and caused quite a racket! Forgot all about that 'til your post. Funny... I'll let you know, but I'm not optimistic.

Best,
-V

Vendetta
06/21/2010, 08:13 PM
Well, Riff, I appreciate the tip - but sadly it doesn't apply. My mechanic confirms it, and it's what I'd been told by three different mechs over the past two years.

I spoke with an experienced Isuzu parts rep today. He told me that other than the topside, all the 98-03 (pre direct inject) motors are identical. Explains why the '02 Axiom engine works without a hitch when used with the VX intake, etc.

I also spoke with a local rebuilder who wanted $3,400 to rebuild MY engine. Add $2,000 to tune it. Yeah.... no.

So I'm back to looking for a decent motor.

BigMeatVX
06/25/2010, 10:59 AM
All the 98 up engines are NOT created equal....

Around 01-02 there were minor changes to the ring end gap...and also the "better" newer design always has a screw-in PCV valve...

I've had two earlier style engines fail with under 100K on each...both burned a lot of oil...
My 3rd engine is the newer 02+ style and it burns ZERO oil....

BTW...tranny swappin is easy..

vt_maverick
06/25/2010, 11:20 AM
Maybe the DI engine for '04 was different than the 02+, cause ours burns a ****-ton of oil between changes.

Vendetta
06/26/2010, 07:18 AM
Thank you BigMeat. So I'm looking for an '02+ 6Ve1 but without DI that kicked in mid '03ish.

And tranny swappin' might be easy, but it's also $$$sy. Let's say I'm trying to keep the project at $3,500 end-to-end. What should I be able to fit in that limit?