PDA

View Full Version : Spare Tire Storage

rowhard
07/04/2010, 03:45 PM
Well, we that have over sized tires have all had to fight the spare tire storage problem. Now, I think the VX is a beautiful vehicle and I do not want to distract from this beauty.

I think most have opted for the roof rack option. Ugly and hard to remove without damaging your VX or back. Some have chosen to do what Marlin has done. Very functional, could double stack I suppose for a real off road adventure, but OMG, what a horrible thing to do to a VX, Sorry Chris.

My approach:

Since having the oversize spare, have done it this way. What a waste of storage space. Can't carry anything in the back properly. NOTE: Rear seat was removed along time ago.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_00942.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18263)

Here is my idea to deal with the spare tire storage use the vertical.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_00972.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18264)
Perfect

Now containment. I purchased a 11 inch trailer fender and a 4 inch x .125" flat stock. (think I will increase the width of flat stock). Also some 1 inch angle for front bracing along with a 3300 lbs cargo strap.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_00991.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18265)

I then cut fender in half.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0101.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18266)

With Sandy's lovely hands holding it in place, You get the idea where I am going with this. Will weld it, brace the fender in the front with the 1 inch angle iron, then secure flat stock to the two tie downs already in place. Tire will be strapped fore and aft. Might have to come up with something to secure it laterally. Since rear seat belts are removed, there is one anchor point that can be used if needed.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_01031.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18267)

Now look at the usable space I have gained. easy roll in/out of wheel when needed.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_01041.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18268)

Have a pet barrier that will be placed against the sub woofer to help keep things in the back if I should ever have a shunt. Sub woofer is well anchored and will help keep it in place.

It is a design in progress and of course some mods might have to take place. I do have the other half of the fender if anyone wants to try this. Shipping and 20 bucks and it is yours.

Ldub
07/04/2010, 06:54 PM
NICE WORK...:_wrench:..:thumbup:

I then cut fender in half.

BTW...That's the strangest lookin 1/2 strat I've ever seen...:confused:...:laughing:

rowhard
07/04/2010, 07:12 PM
BTW...That's the strangest lookin 1/2 strat I've ever seen...:confused:...:laughing:

you on the chocolate monkee's again?

I don't know what you mean

Triathlete
07/04/2010, 07:19 PM
Fender=guitar=stratocaster=strat:bwgy:

rowhard
07/04/2010, 09:16 PM
got it,...... DUH

VX KAT
07/04/2010, 10:15 PM
Wow, that's a great idea and looks really good John! Could you put it on driver's side, so no visibility is reduced from our one "decent" window?

And once perfected, will you be selling a kit? :thumbup:

Ldub
07/04/2010, 10:48 PM
Fender=guitar=stratocaster=strat:bwgy:

Scares the $4!+ outta me sometimes...it's like we share some of the same brane cellz...:uhohgray:

Prolly scares Billy more worser.

VX KAT
07/05/2010, 01:04 AM

Fo Sho!

rowhard
07/05/2010, 07:31 AM
Could you put it on driver's side, so no visibility is reduced from our one "decent" window?

And once perfected, will you be selling a kit? :thumbup:

Sure you could, but you would have to shift it towards the center to clear the door as you put the tire in or out.

No kits planned, but if anyone whats to do it, would be happy to help:)

Marlin
07/05/2010, 03:42 PM
Looks good, not an option for me, I have to be able to put the kids in the back seats. That only leaves roof or door. I prefer door:) Roof is dangerous, plus like you said, it hurts to get it up there and back down. Seems if you keep it on the roof always, shouldn't you tire shine it everyone in awhile? It sits in the sun, all day, never gets used, can't be good for it.

Triathlete
07/05/2010, 04:14 PM
Scares the $4!+ outta me sometimes...it's like we share some of the same brane cellz...:uhohgray:

Great mindz think alike! Some just a little clearer than others!:bwgy:

Marlin
07/05/2010, 05:13 PM
Great mindz think alike! Some just a little clearer than others!:bwgy:

They keep all those people together, I think its called an asylum? Or maybe prison, I can't remember which.:bgwo:

VX KAT
07/05/2010, 05:14 PM
Seems if you keep it on the roof always, shouldn't you tire shine it everyone in awhile? It sits in the sun, all day, never gets used, can't be good for it.

That's why I put "Aerospace Protectant 303" on my spare on the roof, has SPF 40. and I applied it generously. It's not greasy/oily or anything, no residue at all.

rowhard
07/05/2010, 08:18 PM
Looks good, not an option for me, I have to be able to put the kids in the back seats. That only leaves roof or door. I prefer door:) Roof is dangerous, plus like you said, it hurts to get it up there and back down. Seems if you keep it on the roof always, shouldn't you tire shine it everyone in awhile? It sits in the sun, all day, never gets used, can't be good for it.

Totally agree, can't be good sitting in the sun. At least Sue is taking car of her spare on her rack, I mean in her basket, so many don't. Like I said, the way your dealing with it is totally functional, just, well, you know.

Triathlete
07/05/2010, 08:32 PM
Or maybe prison,.:bgwo:
Been there done that...20 years...retired!:rotate:

etlsport
07/06/2010, 06:09 AM
I picked up a $15 spare tire cover to put on the spare when its on the roof, that should help some.

nice work rowhard, I have been trying something similar with a sheet of plywood and some rubber strips that lay behind the backseat. it works pretty well, thinking about doing something a little more permanent, loses all cargo space, but maintains 4 seats :_confused

vt_maverick
07/06/2010, 11:02 AM
I picked up a $15 spare tire cover to put on the spare when its on the roof, that should help some.

+1, I was scratching my head wondering why no one suggested this as the easy fix for keeping a roof mounted tire clean/healthy. You can also get logos on them if you pay extra (VT here we come ;)).

vt_maverick
07/06/2010, 11:29 AM
Does anyone use tire steps to help in moving the spare on/off their roof? I assume the danger to the vehicle is that you could accidentally drop the tire on the C-pillar while lowering it down. Seems like a step (for a 6'3" person at least) would help offset that issue. But maybe not?

Here's an example, they're more or less expensive depending on whether you prefer a nylon strap or a steel bar.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/tire-steps/p2011748.jcwx?skuId=357980&TID=8014524FT4&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=product-283440&zmam=15972153&zmas=21&zmac=141&zmap=283440

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/sku/images/large/I_283440_CL_1.jpg

http://www.racksforall.com/thulestepupwheelstep.aspx?CAWELAID=461470471

http://www.racksforall.com/productimages/thule/232.jpg

Marlin
07/06/2010, 02:51 PM

nice work rowhard, I have been trying something similar with a sheet of plywood and some rubber strips that lay behind the backseat. it works pretty well, thinking about doing something a little more permanent, loses all cargo space, but maintains 4 seats :_confused

I havent seen a cover that will go over a 34-35" tire, of course I am sure they exist if I were to look...
as for the spare behind the seat, mine fits, but then I cant bring my tools and whatnot. Roof or door, those are my options:(

vt_maverick
07/06/2010, 05:52 PM
I havent seen a cover that will go over a 34-35" tire, of course I am sure they exist if I were to look...
as for the spare behind the seat, mine fits, but then I cant bring my tools and whatnot. Roof or door, those are my options:(

This one comes in any size from 27"-35", though it gets pricey (about $100) at the top end. If you don't require the charming logo (;)) they can be had for as little as $35.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Virginia-Tech-Hokies-Tire-Cover-FREE-Anti-Theft-Grommet-/380230932900?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_NCAA_Fan_Shop&hash=item58878799a4

rowhard
07/06/2010, 07:07 PM
:hj:

vt_maverick
07/06/2010, 09:24 PM
Oh come on rowhard, we are still talking about "Spare Tire Storage." If you had titled the thread "Rowhard's Spare Tire Storage Solution" we'd be in trouble.

J/k, back to your regularly scheduled thread. ;)

RallyDude
07/07/2010, 01:43 AM
I've always wondered about those that have a full size spare. I'm guessing that is just for trail use? If I get a full-size, I think I would just have it up there when I'm wheelin', as the temp tire should get me somewhere to have it fixed, as long as it's not too far and I keep the speed down and I'm driving on pavement. For those that have a full-size, do you throw it in the mix for tire rotation? It seems like it would be good idea, as if you get a flat when all the tires are nearing replacement, it probably wouldn't drive too well with one brand new tire. Also, all tires would get use, making the set last longer, and one tire wouldn't be constantly subjected to the sun as well as never getting used. As far as tire covers go, you may want to check a RV supply. They usually have them cheap, but they are usually all-white to keep the temp down. Logo'ed tire covers let you personalize, but you may want to consider alternate colors other than black, due to solar fading, and deteriation of the tire, especially if you leave it up there street or trail.

rowhard
07/07/2010, 06:40 AM
I've always wondered about those that have a full size spare. I'm guessing that is just for trail use?

Think most that have the full size spare is because they have over sized tires. Once you do that, the OEM spare is useless

nfpgasmask
07/07/2010, 09:53 AM
Looks good. My only issue with this option is that it kills your cargo space. But, you did a nice job maximizing the space back there.

I still have my donut. I've been tempted to scrap it several times but for some reason I just can't. :wtfy:

Bart

RallyDude
07/07/2010, 10:20 AM
It depends on what you consider an oversized tire, I run tread that's just an inch larger than stock. I think that could limp home on asphalt with the temp spare. Yet I'd hate to think about getting off a fierce trail with that spare on. VXKat, do you keep that full-size spare on all the time, or just for the trail? I ask her as I have the same size, make, & model of tires as she has.

At least the VX spare tire storage makes for a great subwoofer box.

I think that a step to have better access to the cartop cargo rack is a good idea, however, I prefer the one etrailer has. It's a half-moon tube bumper with integrated pull-out step. It fits in either a 2" or 1-1/4" receiver hitch, available with or without led brake light. I think it'll look good on the VX. It's functional with the step, and also would act as a bumper to protect the cladding. I've got a brush gaurd for protection up front, why not add some protection to the rear?

vt_maverick
07/07/2010, 12:43 PM
I think that a step to have better access to the cartop cargo rack is a good idea, however, I prefer the one etrailer has. It's a half-moon tube bumper with integrated pull-out step. It fits in either a 2" or 1-1/4" receiver hitch, available with or without led brake light. I think it'll look good on the VX. It's functional with the step, and also would act as a bumper to protect the cladding. I've got a brush gaurd for protection up front, why not add some protection to the rear?

The problem is that you'd have to lift/lower the spare tire OVER the antenna, which would require you to lift it an extra 3"-6" (depending on whether you have OEM or JDM-style). You could always remove the antenna first I guess, but you also run the risk of crushing your spoiler if you drop it.

The other problem is that Tone hitches don't respond well to significant tongue weight, so lifting a 50+ lb. tire while standing on a hitch step probably would be a BAD idea. Can't wait to find a solution to that problem. :mady:

rowhard
07/07/2010, 08:44 PM
The other problem is that Tone hitches don't respond well to significant tongue weight, so lifting a 50+ lb. tire while standing on a hitch step probably would be a BAD idea. Can't wait to find a solution to that problem. :mady:

REALLY. Thought Tones hitch was more then capable. Sure hope so since I have one mounted!

rowhard
07/07/2010, 08:49 PM
I think that could limp home on asphalt with the temp spare.

At least the VX spare tire storage makes for a great subwoofer box.

Don't know, maybe someone here knows the answer to how much of a differential you can have to satisfy TOD 's needs without it going crazy.

also makes a great storage place for many things.

VX KAT
07/07/2010, 10:23 PM
It depends on what you consider an oversized tire, I run tread that's just an inch larger than stock. I think that could limp home on asphalt with the temp spare. Yet I'd hate to think about getting off a fierce trail with that spare on. VXKat, do you keep that full-size spare on all the time, or just for the trail? I ask her as I have the same size, make, & model of tires as she has.

Put the full size spare up there for Moab, just left it that way so far....hubby is supposed to be rigging a pulley system in the garage ceiling so we can lift the tire/wheel off and on the rack w/o killing ourselves......he keeps telling me he thinks it looks great that way and I should just run it full time that way.....think he's just trying to delay rigging the pulley???:_thinking
I'd actually "like" to put my Thule 695 on for the remainder of the year.....and I'd have to put the donut back on board.....but don't want the TOD to go crazy, so I have the same question as rowhard on that .

RallyDude
07/09/2010, 11:14 AM
The pulley system sounds like a good Idea. Always wanted to do something like that for a cargo box, otherwise, you're right, it ends up staying up there all the time. I once thought that the amount of extra gas that I end up spending, far exceeded the cost of the cargo box. My problem is before building a pulley system, I need to build the garage to attach it to.

You could easily rig up some pulleys for the spare tire, but another option would be to look for a bike lift. A lot of them are absurdly expensive, but I've seen good quality cheap options at or on Costco's website, I think for just over $10 (or maybe like $15 for two of them?) including all the attachment hardware, which is possibly less than even a DIY project. I think it was rated at 100 pounds, so it could easily be modified to accept a spare tire.

I believe I have Tone's hitch (installed by the PO) and never put any tongue weight on it, but what's the problem? I know I won't break a hitch by stepping on it , but does it bend or break the cladding or the fiberglass skid plate? I'm glad this came up, because I was ready to order the step hitch from e-trailer.

So Kat, are you planning on rotating in that spare, or is it purely a dedicated spare? I'm thinking it would be better to rotate it in. Not only would it be cost effective, as you should get 25% more miles out of them, but it would be a better spare if it maintains the same circumference as the rest of the set. Once your LTZ's are well worn, a fresh one put in the mix as a spare could mess with the TOD, especially on the rear axle. Do you notice a lot of extra noise on the highway with that up there? It does look great with the spare up there, but it looks great without it too. One last question, do you still keep the stock temp tire in the back?

vt_maverick
07/09/2010, 11:26 AM
The pulley system sounds like a good Idea. Always wanted to do something like that for a cargo box, otherwise, you're right, it ends up staying up there all the time. I once thought that the amount of extra gas that I end up spending, far exceeded the cost of the cargo box. My problem is before building a pulley system, I need to build the garage to attach it to.

+1 - I have a garage but the door opening is too short to allow a roof mounted spare to pass under. :(

I believe I have Tone's hitch (installed by the PO) and never put any tongue weight on it, but what's the problem? I know I won't break a hitch by stepping on it , but does it bend or break the cladding or the fiberglass skid plate? I'm glad this came up, because I was ready to order the step hitch from e-trailer.

The issue is bending not breaking, and it doesn't affect the cladding or skid plate. The problem with Tone's hitch is that it's attached to the last cross member (or bumper bar I can't remember) and not to the frame rails. Therefore excess weight causes the cross member to twist, as opposed to a normal tow bar which would push down on the frame rails to which it's attached.

VX KAT
07/09/2010, 12:37 PM

You could easily rig up some pulleys for the spare tire, but another option would be to look for a bike lift. A lot of them are absurdly expensive, but I've seen good quality cheap options at or on Costco's website, I think for just over $10 (or maybe like $15 for two of them?) including all the attachment hardware, which is possibly less than even a DIY project. I think it was rated at 100 pounds, so it could easily be modified to accept a spare tire.

So Kat, are you planning on rotating in that spare, or is it purely a dedicated spare? I'm thinking it would be better to rotate it in. Not only would it be cost effective, as you should get 25% more miles out of them, but it would be a better spare if it maintains the same circumference as the rest of the set. Once your LTZ's are well worn, a fresh one put in the mix as a spare could mess with the TOD, especially on the rear axle. Do you notice a lot of extra noise on the highway with that up there? It does look great with the spare up there, but it looks great without it too. One last question, do you still keep the stock temp tire in the back?

I made sure I started rotating it in by 3,000 miles on the other 4, so it's already rotated in and actually on my driver's side rear. I took out the donut once I put the f/s spare on. If I remove f/s spare, I'll put donut back in,..... I'm hoping to hear some input (like rowhard asked) about using the donut with the 285/60-18s....it would only be for an emergency, so it may be "ok". Marlin says he's had no problems with the TOD with different tires sizes/circumference, but many have reported otherwise.

I've got to check out the bike lifts you mentioned, that might be a great idea.
I did find a storage platform thing that went up & down on a pulley system...(can't find the bookmark right now)...we were interested in it because we could actually store the tire/wheel on it, as well as it's a lifting pulley, and the 78 lb tire/wheel was within it's load capacity...but we wanted to check it out closer to make sure we could "easily" get the tire on and off the platform, other wise, it wouldn't be worth it. Just haven't gotten to it yet....:rollo:

I can honestly say, I didn't really perceive any increase in wind noise when the tire is up there....I DID notice some when I put the Yakima basket on, however, even with the fairing. I've followed my MPG at "fuelly.com" since I put the skids on in December (already had basket on), and I pretty much average between 15-16 MPG with the tire & basket up there, plus the 150 lb skids.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/vxkat/vehicross
Forum member "Knigh7s" also uses fuelly to track his MPG.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/knigh7s/vehicross

Another forum member was asking me some detailed MPG questions last week, and I wrote up this summary: Kinda interesting, I think.

~My MPG with NO roof rack basket and STOCK tires was around 16, full highway could get close to 20-21.

~I got my Yakima roof cargo basket and the larger tires at the same time...average MPG went to about 15. Didn't do any full highway driving at that time, so no idea.

~In 12/09 I added 150 pounds of steel skid plates....no real change in MPG.

~Then I put my full size spare tire in the basket, drove 8 hrs to Utah......got 17 - 18.8 MPG!!! I thought this was amazing since I was like a brick shape going down the highway at 75!

~ EXTRA WEIGHT: I figured my MPG would tank once I put all this stuff on:
150 lbs skid plates
60 lbs 4 larger tires -(total lbs over stock tires -Cooper 285/60-18)
23 lbs cargo basket
29 lbs wheel
49 lbs tire
20 lbs recovery kit stuff (tow ropes, shackles)
20 lbs front bull bar/lights
351 LBS TOTAL
-65 lbs Remove back seat
-30 lbs Remove donut spare (estimate)
~255 lbs TOTAL extra weight my VX is carrying all the time now (about the same as a real good size passenger full time)

~When I was off-roading in Moab, going about 5 mph for hours and hours over the trails, I dropped to 8.7 MPG.

~Then drove 8 hrs highway to get home, with spare on roof in basket, average speed about 75+....got about 15.8 MPG. (Don't know why MPG was higher going to UT vs. coming home???)

~It kinda seems my VX may get a tad better MPG than many others I've heard about...with the tires, basket, spare, bull bar and skids, I would think I'd get much lower. I seem to stay in the 15 -16 MPG with all the extra stuff. I also have more highway driving on average around here.....less stop/go than most, so that may be the main difference.

circmand
07/09/2010, 02:22 PM
~ EXTRA WEIGHT:
60 lbs 4 larger tires -(total lbs over stock tires -Cooper 285/60-18)

29 lbs wheel
49 lbs tire

What you carrying 2 sets of tires for?

Riff Raff
07/09/2010, 04:46 PM
Don't know, maybe someone here knows the answer to how much of a differential you can have to satisfy TOD 's needs without it going crazy.

Here's my own personal opinion/stance regarding the DONUT spare.

Using the DONUT spare tire for limited travel even with over-sized tires like the "LTZ" in 285/60R18 (31.4" O.D.) is still safe to use IN MY OPINION even with slightly larger tires, just as Marlin has pointed out in previous postings. The DONUT is 29.5" O.D. just like the OEM tires were.

The "key" is to only use the DONUT spare on the FRONT axle (never the rear axle), as the rear axle doesn't like mis-matched tires with TOD. Just remember to disengage 4WL whenever using the DONUT, so the VX will be in normal AWD (high range). I would assume the TOD system only likes 4 matching tires in 4WL mode, since it is locked in 50/50 distribution of power. If you've encountered a flat on the trail and your only spare is the DONUT, then your off-road excursions have come to an end for that day and you should be gingerly limping the VX slowly downhill back to civilization in normal AWD.

Heck; I run 32" O.D. tires (275/65R18), and currently my only spare is the DONUT. I'm not gonna' lug around a f/s spare 24/7 and constantly burn up $MPG$ with a air-drag resistant f/s spare on a roof rack when the DONUT will suffice in an emergency. You could even carry Two(2) DONUT spares (in case the first DONUT became a flat), than to carry one f/s heavy/bulky spare.

I do agree 100% with VX'ers who ONLY use a f/s spare while in an off-road environment. That is very wise and smart. If a flat is gonna' happen, it will most likely happen on the trail (not on the street). If I ever became a more avid hard-core off-roader; then yes, I would carry a f/s spare ONLY during those times. Just my 2-cents.:bgwb:

VX KAT
07/09/2010, 04:56 PM
What you carrying 2 sets of tires for?
um, ....:_thinking what?

circmand
07/09/2010, 11:31 PM
um, ....:_thinking what?

you have 60 # for 4 tires

then 29 # for wheels

then 49 # for tires

vt_maverick
07/10/2010, 09:57 AM
Let me try Sue...

Her 4 mounted Cooper Zeons are 60 lbs. heavier than the 4 stock tires - that's 15 lbs. per corner. Notice she typed "29 lbs wheel, 49 lbs tire" (singular) in her original post, NOT "29 lbs wheels, 49 lbs tires" plural as I think you keep reading it. The second set of numbers (29+49) is for the spare ONLY.

Ldub
07/10/2010, 12:10 PM
So.....if we had a large enough bowl of cornflakes we could make rocket science?...:confused:...:laughing:

VX KAT
07/10/2010, 02:29 PM
Let me try Sue...

Her 4 mounted Cooper Zeons are 60 lbs. heavier than the 4 stock tires - that's 15 lbs. per corner. Notice she typed "29 lbs wheel, 49 lbs tire" (singular) in her original post, NOT "29 lbs wheels, 49 lbs tires" plural as I think you keep reading it. The second set of numbers (29+49) is for the spare ONLY.

Exactly!

So.....if we had a large enough bowl of cornflakes we could make rocket science?...:confused:...:laughing:

Exactly!!

RallyDude
07/11/2010, 12:45 PM
I think the MPG change would be more due to the wind resistance, than the additional weight.

VT maverick, if you are really close to getting into the garage, you may want to check out member zeus's ride. He reversed the rack mounting clips, to lower his rack a few inches. He did it for aesthetics, but if you are close, it could be all the distance you need.

Wow, I've never heard of a hitch not attaching to the frame. Maybe that's why our rigs aren't rated to tow anything.

rowhard
07/28/2010, 08:39 PM
Well, finished it and for the most part it works well. Have a few issues to work out, but no real biggy.

So, from this:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_00046.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=13367)

to this:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0162.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18428)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0165.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18429)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0166.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18430)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0167.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18431)

Love the space I have gained doing this. Also much easier rolling tire in and out rather then having to lift it to get it out.

On a side note. You notice the middle two photo's, the inside of the wheel looks,... different. I like most here had the chrome peeling issue. I took it to a local powder coat shop and had them media blast just the inside of the wheel then powder coat in in a chrome like finish. Moral of this story, if you like the stock wheels but have the chrome peeling problem, this might be a solution for you.

Triathlete
07/28/2010, 10:50 PM
Looks good...to bad I use my back seat.

VXjunky
01/10/2011, 09:47 AM
heck...my horse trailer spare exploded from the sun and heat, just hanging on the side of the trailer....hate to think what might happen to my precious VX if that happened on the roof!...........

RickOKC
08/16/2011, 03:13 PM
Hey Rowhard, I'm leaning toward doing this. Your final post last year mentioned you had a couple minor items to work out - did you finish? What did you do to secure it laterally?

tom4bren
08/17/2011, 10:22 AM
The problem is that you'd have to lift/lower the spare tire OVER the antenna, which would require you to lift it an extra 3"-6" (depending on whether you have OEM or JDM-style). You could always remove the antenna first I guess, but you also run the risk of crushing your spoiler if you drop it.

REALLY. Thought Tones hitch was more then capable. Sure hope so since I have one mounted!

I don't think it would be a problem with the Tone hitch.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG4959.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG4961.JPG

Marlin
08/17/2011, 10:32 AM
I don't think it would be a problem with the Tone hitch.

Yes, but your offset distributes the weight on the hitch over a larger surface area of the earth, therefore allowing it to handle significantly larger loads. Those of us with a modest offset might be able to handle an adult, but OEM offset, perhaps a toddler.

Or you could just get the Curt hitch and it makes a PERFECT rear skid plate.:)

VX KAT
08/17/2011, 10:41 AM
when Dave and I had to get the spare down from the Yakima basket the first time....we...er, um, HE got it upright (dang near had a hernia in the process) and rolled it/walked it down the side of the truck, with me at the base controlling it's "decent". Did I mention we installed a hoist in the garage ceiling after this?

tom4bren
08/17/2011, 10:59 AM
Yes, but your offset distributes the weight on the hitch over a larger surface area of the earth, therefore allowing it to handle significantly larger loads. Those of us with a modest offset might be able to handle an adult, but OEM offset, perhaps a toddler.

There's some logic in there somewhere ... maybe ... NAAAAH!!

Or you could just get the Curt hitch and it makes a PERFECT rear skid plate.:)

Fugly is as fugly does...

tom4bren
08/17/2011, 11:03 AM
Did I mention we installed a hoist in the garage ceiling after this?

One would have to have a garage that could actually fit a vehicle for that approach to work. Maybe I could just add a hoist to that tree branch over my driveway.

Marlin
08/17/2011, 11:07 AM
Thonly two dents on my truck came from the roof rack. One getting the spare down, the other from when a cargo strap failed. No more heavy stuff on the roof for me. Spare on rear door all the way

VX KAT
08/17/2011, 12:29 PM
One would have to have a garage that could actually fit a vehicle for that approach to work. Maybe I could just add a hoist to that tree branch over my driveway.

Is that tree branch where Boy swings from and plays with Cheeta?

tom4bren
08/17/2011, 12:47 PM
Is that tree branch where Boy swings from and plays with Cheeta?

Yup ... & it's purple.

You can see it in this pic (above the spare).

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/SANY0021_.jpg

vt_maverick
08/17/2011, 01:21 PM
Tom it will be interesting to see what the bumper bar looks like when we go to install the new hitch. The one component I think is missing from your pics is what happens when you drive 20 hours with that much weight bouncing up and down all the time. I'm thinking the "standing still" tongue weight may not be the problem - it may be the movement that causes weakness over time.

tom4bren
08/18/2011, 05:05 AM
Tom it will be interesting to see what the bumper bar looks like when we go to install the new hitch. The one component I think is missing from your pics is what happens when you drive 20 hours with that much weight bouncing up and down all the time. I'm thinking the "standing still" tongue weight may not be the problem - it may be the movement that causes weakness over time.

True Dat!

I know that I deformed the crossmember when I installed the Tone hitch just by tightening the bolts too much (it's a knuckle dragger thing - you wouldn't understand). That crossmember is far from being a structural member.

VXjunky
08/18/2011, 08:54 AM
hehehe...i got that Tom

tom4bren
08/18/2011, 09:13 AM
You've heard of the butt dyno.

Rekin my butt torque wrench needs calibration.

VXjunky
08/18/2011, 09:45 AM
as Jackson Browne said, to the Pretty Little one..."Honey, Let me introduce you to my red neck friend"

tom4bren
08/18/2011, 09:49 AM

In retrospect, ignore my previous response.:) The issue that I was responding to was whether the Tone hitch could support the weight of a person lifting a full sized spare to the roof. I hope nobody plans on doing THAT in a dynamic scenario.:)

rowhard
08/18/2011, 06:30 PM
Hey Rowhard, I'm leaning toward doing this. Your final post last year mentioned you had a couple minor items to work out - did you finish? What did you do to secure it laterally?

Think I just beefed it up a bit and extended it so I could pick up one of the rear seat mounting holes on the forward edge. As far as lateral, have it cinched down with a 3k strap, seems to hold fine.

44ficus44
01/15/2013, 03:25 PM
when u all put the spare tire on the rear door howd you atach the spare holder? i just bought a rodeo spare holder but dont want to cut into the door just yet. did you put an ibside bracket so the bolta dont just mangle the door?

VXorado
01/15/2013, 03:42 PM
when u all put the spare tire on the rear door howd you atach the spare holder? i just bought a rodeo spare holder but dont want to cut into the door just yet. did you put an ibside bracket so the bolta dont just mangle the door?

I believe they drilled through and added a metal plate on the backside for support. If you do add an over sized spare tire, consider putting a lower support bumper for the door.

I used a suspension bumpstop mounted on the frame to support the heavy spare tire.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3294/IMAG0280-1.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=21862)

44ficus44
01/15/2013, 04:05 PM
is that so the added weught on the door doesnt bend diwn on the frame ?

Marlin
01/15/2013, 04:21 PM
I have had min on the door for 3 years. How often do you really open the rear door?
I did not ahve to add any support to the inside of the door. The rear door is structural and pretty thick. I just ran the bolts all the way through to the spare bracket, so several inch long bolts. I have no deformation and I just grease the door hinges/stop arm every once in a while. There are some wear products in the grease, but not enough that I am worried about it.

44ficus44
01/15/2013, 05:23 PM
yea i saw the inside door plate is pritty sturdy cuz its welded all around. i might just add a square support with thin metal. just in case cuz im planning on using that space for 2 woofers and the sterio amps so once i seal it and mold it with carbon fiber theres no taking it off. woop new project

VXorado
01/15/2013, 06:40 PM
I have had min on the door for 3 years. How often do you really open the rear door?
I did not ahve to add any support to the inside of the door. The rear door is structural and pretty thick. I just ran the bolts all the way through to the spare bracket, so several inch long bolts. I have no deformation and I just grease the door hinges/stop arm every once in a while. There are some wear products in the grease, but not enough that I am worried about it.

The hinges are definitely strong enough, I had them spec'd at 800 lbs each. But how about the metal in the body or door? Tom's hinges ended up ripping out of the body and he had to remove the spare tire. After that, I installed the bumper support...better safe than sorry imo.

44ficus44
01/15/2013, 07:51 PM
The hinges are definitely strong enough, I had them spec'd at 800 lbs each. But how about the metal in the body or door? Tom's hinges ended up ripping out of the body and he had to remove the spare tire. After that, I installed the bumper support...better safe than sorry imo.

very true. gotto cover your own rear

Marlin
01/16/2013, 06:04 AM

That is a good point, but we are back to the question of how often do you open the rear door? With the door closed, the weight is distributed through the hinges, the frame of the door as well as the latch, and it is static. I have seen Tom's photos, he used his to haul stuff so he might have used the rear access more often. I have put only 25K miles on my truck over the last 4 years. She doesn't get driven much, and at least 10K of that is just the drive across country and long drives to URE and back.
Better safe than sorry I suppose, but I wouldn't let that stop you from getting the mod done. You can always add the support later.

tom4bren
01/16/2013, 09:50 AM
Mine had 2 rather hefty plates on the inside. They were tucked up behind the plates that the OEM spare rested against. My bolts did not go through that plate.

My hinges were not ripping loose from the body (thank gawd). They were ripping loose from the door.

Since that all started happening after Boy started driving it, I have no way of knowing if he had the door open a lot or if it would've happened anyway ... so I didn't rip him a new one over the incident:)

I don't think that the dovetail on mine was positioned properly so the latch was probably carrying the bulk of the weight of the door when closed. In retrospect, I wish I'd have added a little rubber bumper on the lower sill to carry some of the weight.

VXorado
01/16/2013, 11:56 AM
That is a good point, but we are back to the question of how often do you open the rear door?

I probably use mine too much, maybe average once a day. Also, I was loading up the back of the VX with supplies on the trails and found the door can be really scary to open when the VX is on a hill ;ooy;. I decided to get the cargo basket to load trail gear and avoid a mishap.

I agree that the less you open the rear door, the less problems you'll encounter.

My hinges were not ripping loose from the body (thank gawd). They were ripping loose from the door.

Got it. :yesgray:

Did you end up putting the spare back on?

tom4bren
01/16/2013, 11:59 AM
Did you end up putting the spare back on?

Not yet. I decided not to until I have a matching tire on that rim.

VXorado
01/16/2013, 12:11 PM
Not yet. I decided not to until I have a matching tire on that rim.

You should put a super skinny tire on the back... changed it up. :smilewink

bartmanS4
01/16/2013, 05:59 PM
I agree that the less you open the rear door, the less problems you'll encounter.

I find this applies to my mouth too! :smilewink

tom4bren
01/17/2013, 04:11 AM
I find this applies to my mouth too! :smilewink

I have no response to that.

tom4bren
01/17/2013, 04:19 AM
You should put a super skinny tire on the back... changed it up. :smilewink

I'm thinking that bubble wrapping my front left corner is a higher priority in the long haul (2 hits there in 2 years - AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!)