PDA

View Full Version : the VX was runnin' hot

Luna X
07/22/2010, 06:50 AM
I was dreading the thought that the thermostat was the problem, so I picked an easier battle first...

Changed out the fan clutch with a Hayden unit I ordered from RockAutoParts, and after a few days of driving around in this nasty Az heat, I'm happy to report that the temp guage hasn't gone above normal!.. :bwgy:

Next up... I'll be changing a slightly worn out center-link to help take out some of the play in the steering.

I tried a couple searches, but I couldn't find an old thread called "what are you doing to your VX this weekend"
That was a fun thread to read and I figured I would add to it, but I guess it just died out...

Y33TREKker
07/22/2010, 08:01 AM
I'd still keep an eye on the temp gauge. Thermostats start to go bad by occasionally 'sticking" in the wrong position until they eventually fail. So while the fan clutch was hopefully the problem, the temp spike you witnessed could still be an indication of a thermostat on it's way out. Not trying to make you paranoid, but in that AZ heat especially, better safe than sorry given the potential consequences.

Luna X
07/22/2010, 08:16 AM
I'm already paranoid about it...

It's been close to a week now, and every day that my wife drives it the 1st thing I ask her is.. how was the temp runnin?

... (then I ask her how her day went)

where are my manners?... ;)

ZubrAZ
07/22/2010, 08:25 AM
this is the first AZ summer for my VX. and I had a similar issue, however, it did not get fixed completely after I replaced fan clutch (Hayden). it still gets to about 70-80% of the gauge while driving in stop-and-go traffic, but goes to normal after few seconds of constant speed driving. My engine is, probably, new, and it is 3.2 6VD1, so I'm blaming the AZ heat.

Luna X
07/22/2010, 08:50 AM
this is the first AZ summer for my VX. and I had a similar issue, however, it did not get fixed completely after I replaced fan clutch (Hayden). it still gets to about 70-80% of the gauge while driving in stop-and-go traffic, but goes to normal after few seconds of constant speed driving. My engine is, probably, new, and it is 3.2 6VD1, so I'm blaming the AZ heat.

a better question is............ why do we live in the effin' desert? :flame:

Luna X
07/22/2010, 09:08 AM
My wife's boys are big into the drifting scene and they tell me that a popular mod they do to their Rx7's is to swap out their fans for an electric unit from a Taurus.

Supposedly, these fans have better cooling capabilities than a clutch fan like our VX's.

Does anyone think this would be of benefit for us folk living out in the "dry heat" of the southwest? :_thinking

nfpgasmask
07/22/2010, 09:13 AM
a better question is............ why do we live in the effin' desert? :flame:

1) It's pretty
2) Lots of reptiles
3) No rust
4) Minimal bugs while you are camping

:)

And so what's is wrong with your center link? Do you really think that would cause steering to be not so tight? I would think it is the power steering gear box getting worn out before the center link. Or are the boots on your center link dried up?

Just curious.

Bart

Luna X
07/22/2010, 09:34 AM
1) It's pretty
2) Lots of reptiles
3) No rust

And so what's is wrong with your center link? Do you really think that would cause steering to be not so tight? I would think it is the power steering gear box getting worn out before the center link. Or are the boots on your center link dried up?

Just curious.

Bart

yeah, the desert does have all those good things goin' for it.:tweed:
I loved all that when I moved here back in '96, but it seems the past fews years I'm getting less and less tolerant to the heat... Guess I'm just gettin' old and cranky! :bwgy:

And, yes, the center link does have dried up/split boots on it, so I'll change that out first then adjust box if needed.

VX KAT
07/22/2010, 09:48 AM
1) It's pretty
2) Lots of reptiles
3) No rust

x2!! (Except I live up at almost 5000 feet where I get all that plus 15-20 degrees cooler)
:hj:.....Last few nights we've been playin' with several toads in the back yard (Bufo woodhousii, a widespread toad around here, but that gets as far as Montana and North Dakota), we catch hoppers and feed the toad...way cool to watch! Every year, one of our dogs grabs them and within 2 seconds (really!) spits him out and starts foaming at the mouth from the toxin the toad excretes thru his skin as a defense mechanism. We've finally trained her not to grab them :rollo:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_0092.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_0087.JPG

nfpgasmask
07/22/2010, 09:55 AM
Yeah, see, that's why I live up here. When the wife and I were looking for a place to move out West, we visited Pheonix, Sedona and Flagstaff. Phoenix was just WAY TOO HOT for me. Sedona was awesome and so was Flagstaff, but at the time the job market in those spots didn't help me. Reno is desert but we still get cooler weather up here much of the year, so I really like it.

Kat, you guys also have those awesome Canyon Tree Frogs up a little from you. They are super cool too.

:) Bart

circmand
07/22/2010, 10:18 AM
We have the most dealy spider, snake, reptile and insects in the USA

nfpgasmask
07/22/2010, 10:48 AM
We have the most dealy spider, snake, reptile and insects in the USA

I still would like to herp southern AZ during the monsoons some year...

Bart

Luna X
07/22/2010, 10:55 AM
Now it seems we should put together a Desert Wildlife Discovery Tour.... of course using only VX's!

This little guy has recently set up camp in my yard... pic taken through front window.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/P1000105_edited-1.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18411)
"BEEP BEEP!!"

VX KAT
07/22/2010, 11:37 AM
Now it seems we should put together a Desert Wildlife Discovery Tour.... of course using only VX's!

This little guy has recently set up camp in my yard... pic taken through front window.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/P1000105_edited-1.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18411)
"BEEP BEEP!!"

:thumbup: Yeah, we should do some of that when we do our VX meet! Got boots that go up past our shins and hiking poles so we can trek through prickly stuff! We'll have to start a new thread...
Cool roadrunner! Had one come up on the porch last month, never saw one get so close to the screen door....course my cats were having a spazz and it took off! Have them dash across the dirt road all the time...just like the cartoon when we were kids! (and Wile E Coyote too)

samneil2000
07/22/2010, 11:56 AM
My VX was running hot and I checked the codes and had a MAF and O2 sensor codes. Dirty MAF was causing it to run lean. Cleaned it and purrin like a VX Kitten. :yesy:

nfpgasmask
07/22/2010, 01:01 PM
I wish AZ was closer...for a lot of reasons right now! :rolleyes:

Bart

Luna X
07/22/2010, 01:51 PM

Bart

but right now the heat is turning everyone (myself included) into............ zombies!! :goof:

circmand
07/22/2010, 02:34 PM
but right now the heat is turning everyone (myself included) into............ zombies!! :goof:

Most residents in AZ are already zombies.

VX KAT
07/22/2010, 05:22 PM

Bart

patience grasshopper, soon, very soon....:thumbup:

boy, we've really jacked this thread all over....sorry Luna!

Luna X
07/23/2010, 06:09 AM
It was fun to go off topic this time :cool!:

we all had a chance to hear from most of our southwest bretheren...

p_justin13
07/29/2010, 08:08 AM
If all else fails, lol I was having issues when sitting in traffic on Lake Shore Drive and general stand still traffic in the city. Two things helped. 1. If you have a Mass air flow I made a custom box to seal off to the incomming air down in the front right side where the intake was. The Mass Air intake I have was sucking super hot air from around the engine and this made a huge difference. 2. Would still run hot if sitting for along time with the ac on added royal purple antifreeze additive and made another huge difference. Running cool as a cucumber now.

circmand
07/29/2010, 09:59 AM
But did have issues withe the Healey. I started using water wetter and have no more issues with over heating.

Luna X
07/29/2010, 11:14 AM
since we have more ridiculously hot days than not, looks like some form of antifreeze additive may be a good form of insurance.

p_justin13
07/29/2010, 04:26 PM
Ha ha I'll warn you it runs like 15 bucks for a liter bottle though only one needed. It's helped abunch.

circmand
07/29/2010, 04:33 PM
for the water wetter of course it might help too haveyour radiator clean who knows how blocked up it may be.

VXMAN
08/14/2010, 08:55 AM
I was dreading the thought that the thermostat was the problem, so I picked an easier battle first...

Changed out the fan clutch with a Hayden unit I ordered from RockAutoParts, and after a few days of driving around in this nasty Az heat, I'm happy to report that the temp guage hasn't gone above normal!.. :bwgy:

Next up... I'll be changing a slightly worn out center-link to help take out some of the play in the steering.

I tried a couple searches, but I couldn't find an old thread called "what are you doing to your VX this weekend"
That was a fun thread to read and I figured I would add to it, but I guess it just died out...
What model # of Hayden fan did you buy? I see 3 different sizes listed, 12", 14" & 16". My daughter's VX is starting to run a little hot and want to replace the fan. Was the fan a direct replacement for the stock one? How hard was it to replace? She'll be doing it herself, but she's very handy with tools (thanks to hanging out with Dad) :-)

Thanks,
Dave...

Luna X
08/14/2010, 09:32 AM
I used Hayden part #2672... without goin' out to measure it (wife has VX today anyway) I couldn't tell ya which size it is. RockAuto didn't offer any choices in size, but I did get the correct one ;)

How's things back in Carver, Ma?
I moved out to Az back in '96 from my hometown of Chelmsford. I really loved it out here for a few years, but now I guess I'm needing some more greenery in my life again... just don't want to deal with that white, frosty, snow-stuff again.

Luna X
08/14/2010, 09:35 AM
btw... Even though she may be handy with tools, getting the fan/clutch off from the engine can be tricky.
if you have the time, it's always helpful to have another pair of hands to keep the engine from turning while breaking the bolts loose.... :bwgy:

VX KAT
08/14/2010, 09:48 AM
added royal purple antifreeze additive and made another huge difference. Running cool as a cucumber now.

I added that last year right before summer. Did you add the amount they advised or any extra? (and yes, I extracted same volume of fluid as I added).

But yesterday, driving slowly around a parking lot in circles trying to figure out what the short clanking sound is when I'm almost at full lock right, with full A/C blowing...I noticed I was heating up (and it was about 96 degrees) DOH!
Gauge got up to about 1/8 from top.
:?: Wondered if I added a bit more RP antifreeze additive, if it would help....under the logic of "more is better"...:rollo:
Temp dropped as soon as I drove on normally.
Thoughts?

p.s. I think one of my Kilby plates may be hitting/rubbing sumpin' at almost full lock right.

VX KAT
08/14/2010, 10:01 AM
I tried a couple searches, but I couldn't find an old thread called "what are you doing to your VX this week"

Here it 'tis:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=15254&highlight=week

samneil2000
08/14/2010, 10:25 AM
My VX is running hot in slow moving traffic. As soon as I pick up speed, the temp guage goes back to normal.
I talked to my brother who is a Ford mechanic, and he reached down and stopped the fan with his bare hand. He said if the clutch wasn't bad, he wouldn't be able to do that. So, what's happening is that while going slow and there isn't enough oncoming air rushing through the radiator, the fan should lock up to the crank and turn as fast as the motor. But since the clutch is bad, the fan isn't spinning fast enough and isn't pulling as much air through the radiator as it should...
At least that's what he said.
Also, I don't recommend stopping the fan with your hands... :bgwb:

VXMAN
08/18/2010, 12:01 PM
This $ucks. I'm not there to help her, and come to find out it's Not the Radiator fan / clutch, but the auxiliary fan. I didn't know there was a fan in front of the radiator? Is this fan stock, or was it installed by the preivous owner? Anyone know what this fan's part number is and where to get one?

Dave...

samneil2000
08/18/2010, 12:48 PM
This $ucks. I'm not there to help her, and come to find out it's Not the Radiator fan / clutch, but the auxiliary fan. I didn't know there was a fan in front of the radiator? Is this fan stock, or was it installed by the preivous owner? Anyone know what this fan's part number is and where to get one?

Dave...

It is a stock fan. I've seen it called the air conditioner fan. It comes on any time the A/C is switched on. I'm pretty much running my a/c if it's hot out so I'm not sure it also comes on as per a temp sensor or anything like that.

RickOKC
08/18/2010, 02:04 PM
VX Man: Click this link (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Downloads&file=viewarticle&id=20) and then click the word File to download the workshop manual. Page 78 has a troubleshooting guide for the condenser fan (starts with checking the fuse) and page 91 begins the section on replacing it (I don't think evacuating the refrigerant is actually necessary.)