PDA

View Full Version : HID problem

etlsport
07/28/2010, 11:03 PM
I've had my HIDs for over a year now, love them, wouldnt go back. This morning when I drove to work I noticed they reflection looked funny in the car in front of me though

when i got to work i got out, the drivers side bulb was purple! not like a little bluer than the other, i mean it was straight out purple.

my bulbs are 6000k, so white with a hint of blue. overnight the one turned like 12000k. very bizzare.

I am going to order two new bulbs and replace them, but I'm worried that its a short or a ballast problem since it was so abrupt. anyone seen this before?

deermagnet
07/28/2010, 11:24 PM
No worries. I just did a Google for "hid bulb turning from white to purple" and it's normal for the bulb to turn a very deep purple when it's about to go out. You can change only one bulb, but the color shifts over time and the one old bulb will have a different color than the new one. Just change 'em both.

Mark

etlsport
07/29/2010, 05:28 AM
cool, thats what i suspected, it was very sudden though which had me worried. I switched the bulbs this morning to see if it was a specific side (ballast/wiring)or the bulb itself. the color shifted with the bulbs, so i guess ill be ordering a pair of new bulbs