PDA

View Full Version : question about idle

codyman3487
07/29/2010, 08:05 AM
sometimes when i start my VX the idle jumps up to 2 grand and doesn't come back down until i shut it off and let it sit for awhile why would it be doing that... (it doesn't do it every time i start it but every once and a while)

PHO2GR4
07/29/2010, 09:52 AM
That seems to be a really common problem, codyman. Mine went through that phase, too, and then self-corrected (so far). The idle was EVERYWHERE. High and low. Sometimes so low that it would basically turn over at startup and then immediately die. There are a lot of posts, and a variety of ideas for solutions, if you search the forum. I wouldn't say that there's a 100% guaranteed fix, though. :(

codyman3487
08/14/2010, 04:07 PM
thanks

hyperkid
08/16/2010, 07:54 PM
Mine did exactly the same thing. I cleaned the EGR valve (free), replaced the TSP sensor ($20@autozone), reseated all my sensor plugs and vacuum hoses (free) - so far so good.

Bulldoggie
08/16/2010, 08:17 PM
My idle problems show up every summer when it's 90+ outside. about 10 days a year. It wants to die at the most embarrassing times, like slowing to a light, and you have to give it throttle to start, it can be hard to deal with.
So far it "Auto corrects" as soon as it gets cooler. I've cleaned the sensor plug and used anti oxidents on the plugs. I've inspected the Idle air control and cleaned the MAF. one time I found the plastic air intake tube had loosened.
I do get the low flow EGR CEL. off and on all year, and I'm due for new plugs.
I'm dealing with 100F this week and it's just came back on Friday the 13th! I think I'll buy the plugs next, but I hate the idea of throwing money at it till it goes away, when it "Auto-Corrects":mado2::mado:

Scott Harness
08/17/2010, 10:40 AM
Mine just started doing this...reving to high...It has been over 100 for 22 days in a row:eek:

WormGod
08/18/2010, 07:30 AM
Mine has done it for years on fresh starts. Runs fine, then after about 20-30 secs of running, it revs to about 2200 then drops to normal and stays there. Never been able to trouble shoot it though I have been able to get it to at least only THIS issue. Used to rev, sputter, and cut out. :bwgy:

VRox
09/09/2010, 09:13 AM
Happened to me too. Idle hit 1800 and kept rising, had to shut car down to keep from rear ending in the winter. Turned out to be my Power Steering Pressure Regulator. Have that diag'd as a possible solution.