PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Engine Question

Buffy
08/08/2010, 03:05 PM
I am getting ready to pull the enging in my VX and rebuild it. I was curious if I could pull the engine and transmission together or is it easier to separate the motor and tranny? I was planning to clean and rust proof the frame while everything was out anyway.

rowhard
08/08/2010, 03:43 PM
you might look at this thread, there is a reference to some stuff to rustproof the frame rails. http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18349

Oh, and the manual, page 657 says remove the transmission then the engine. You can download the workshop manual here.

Gussie2000
08/08/2010, 03:49 PM
I'm in the steps to rebuild my engine in september .

According to my mech is much better (and easier) to pull the trans out before the enginee.
My engine have some bearing needing to be replace,but i'll rebuilt the whole engine altogether at once..

Buffy
08/08/2010, 05:10 PM
I was figuring that I would have to drop the tranny, I was just hoping someone had pulled them out together. I already have several quarts of Master series coatings sitting in my kitchen just waiting on me to get started taking this thing apart. :smilewink Actually speaking I am more excited about getting this thing running and driving!!

ZubrAZ
08/08/2010, 09:57 PM
you dont have to drop the tranny to remove the engine. it is hard to reach those bolts that connect engine to the tranny, but it is doable. if you dont have access to a lift, then, i think, it is pretty hard to pull the tranny out

RamAirZ
08/09/2010, 02:19 PM
You should be able to wiggle it out of there together, if anything you could pull the transfercase off and it'd be cake.