PDA

View Full Version : leather, or not.

blacksambo
08/16/2010, 04:25 PM
What's really leather inside a '99 VX? For example the steering wheel cover? The rear seat inserts? The shift knobs? Etc.

deermagnet
08/16/2010, 04:33 PM
My window sticker said 'leather wrapped shift knobs' and 'leather seating surfaces'. I doubt any part of the rear seats are leather. I suspect some non-seating parts of the front seats are vinyl. We have an option code for the VX that says the steering wheel is leather wrapped.

Mark

RamAirZ
08/16/2010, 04:47 PM
You think the rear seats aren't leather?

deermagnet
08/16/2010, 05:01 PM
You think the rear seats aren't leather?
"I doubt any part of the rear seats are leather." I don't know for sure. If someone knows that they're leather then they're leather. I'm just sayin' I doubt it at this point.

Mark

RickOKC
08/16/2010, 05:19 PM
I took my VX to an upholsterer to get pricing to re-cover the front seats. (Yes, they made me cry. :_crying:) While they were checking things out, I was told the back seats are vinyl.

RamAirZ
08/16/2010, 05:32 PM
"I doubt any part of the rear seats are leather." I don't know for sure. If someone knows that they're leather then they're leather. I'm just sayin' I doubt it at this point.

Mark

My comment was more of a "surprised" thing. You'd THINK Isuzu would have done both front and rear in leather, guess Recaro charged too much so they just went with the front lol

deermagnet
08/16/2010, 05:35 PM
I get it now. LOL

Mark

blacksambo
08/16/2010, 06:39 PM
This is very helpful. Any other info out there?

LittleBeast
08/16/2010, 07:58 PM
Arm rest in the middle is NOT leather, I had it replaced and it was the fake stuff they told me.

I thought the rear seats were leather though, are you sure they are not?

Steering wheel and shift knobs (both) are leather, but not sure on the shift boot on the 4high/low stick

Scott Harness
08/17/2010, 10:43 AM
I always thought the rears were vinyl.

Luna X
08/17/2010, 10:50 AM
instead of vinyl, one could always call it...

plastic (man made) leather = ""pleather ;)

tom4bren
08/17/2010, 10:50 AM
I always thought the rears were vinyl.

I ... must ... refrain ...

family ... oriented ... site

nfpgasmask
08/17/2010, 11:02 AM
I was under the impression that the front seats were leather on the front (where your body touches), and something else (pleather) on the back.

Bart

blacksambo
08/17/2010, 03:41 PM
I think the steering wheel is leather, just not full grain. An onion skin like book binding.

rowhard
08/17/2010, 07:02 PM
I was under the impression that the front seats were leather on the front (where your body touches), and something else (pleather) on the back.

Bart

think I read that here also a few years ago

RickOKC
08/17/2010, 07:21 PM
From what I've read, that's very common in the biz. Most manufacturers do exactly what you said. Others wouldn't even use leather on the "black sections" of the bottom of the seat surface, and still others would use vinyl on the parts where your back touches.

The guy that looked at mine is a pro, but I will say that he only gave a 1/2-second glance to the back seat.

technocoy
08/17/2010, 07:45 PM
I'm pretty certain the entire front seats are leather. For one you can completely feel the difference. The other big clue is that if you apply leather conditioner it absorbs properly on the front, not on the back seats.

I could be wrong, but the hand on the back of the seats is very much like real leather, and pretty much identical to the front where there is little wear.

blacksambo
08/18/2010, 08:28 AM
I think you right. The back seating area on a '99 is leather. Cars.com lists this as so on their '99 features list but not on the 2000 or 2001 models. Intersting? Other thoughts?

DeepSilentComplete
08/21/2010, 01:54 PM
Hey, great thread! I will be getting my monster out of the shop on Monday (daughter rear-ended someone while driving. That will be the last time...) and I have been thinking about redoing or replacing the seats. My leather front seats are showing some wear (leather is peeling). Any thoughts on redoing or replacing? Is there a more modern Recaro seat that you know of that fits well as a replacement?

VX KAT
08/21/2010, 11:16 PM
I have been thinking about redoing or replacing the seats. My leather front seats are showing some wear (leather is peeling). Any thoughts on redoing or replacing? Is there a more modern Recaro seat that you know of that fits well as a replacement?

"Wintermute" in Santa Monica had his red/black leather seats completely reconditioned and re-dyed about 3 months ago, even had one small cut repaired...I think they were done on site too. The guy custom mixed dye to match both colors. He sent me before/after pics and it was amazing. I believe he said it was like $700 for the 2 fronts. Now you can pretty much buy 2 replacement seats for that, heck even buy all 4 from that one seller on bay, but they looked virtually new, just a top notch job. Don't know the company name, but wintermute would. Or maybe he could tell you what the technique/process was called and you could try to find someone that way.

VXR
08/22/2010, 03:54 PM
The back seating area on a '99 is leather

is this true???

vt_maverick
08/22/2010, 05:27 PM
I can say with pretty good authority that the front of our back seats are leather, and the back (part facing the tailgate) is vinyl. About two months into my VX ownership my dog decided to climb out of the cargo area and in the process shredded the seat backs. When I had it repaired the upholsterers told me I was lucky that the damage was only to the back of the seats, because repairing vinyl was much cheaper than repairing leather.