PDA

View Full Version : new parts after warranty expired

Luna X
08/30/2010, 02:02 PM
I thought I would share my experiences from the past couple years....

In '06, I went to Germany for the major lower back surgery. They replaced 3 discs and fused 3 levelsall in one surgery. Lots of Cobalt Alloy and Titanium!!!

To start off this year, I had 3 levels fused in my neck... Titanium and Carbon Fiber this time.

No pics at this time, but I also had brain surgery to fix a nasty aneurysm behind my left orbital area (exact same thing my mom died from at the age of 62) The clip is made from Titanium as well... ;)

probably should just break out the duct tape to save some money!!!! :bwgy:http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/lower_back_0002.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18641)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/lower_back_0002.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18641)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/lower_back_0001.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18640)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/new_hardware.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18639)

RickOKC
08/30/2010, 02:09 PM
:eek: Wow, that's a lot of hardware!

(Not to alarm you, but I'm pretty sure those are zip ties in the first x-ray.)

tom4bren
08/30/2010, 02:12 PM
Dang Son ... that's rough. Hope all is going well now though.

Wifey's had similar back surgeries. It really helped a lot but wasn't a complete cure.

On the lower back, did they go in from the front or the back. They went through the front for Bren's & the soft tissue recover was the worst part.

Luna X
08/30/2010, 02:47 PM
Dang Son ... that's rough. Hope all is going well now though.

Wifey's had similar back surgeries. It really helped a lot but wasn't a complete cure.

On the lower back, did they go in from the front or the back. They went through the front for Bren's & the soft tissue recover was the worst part.

yeah, they went in from the front to do the replacing of the 3 discs, then sewed me up, leaned me forward, then did the fusion from the back... WHAT FUN!!!

I could barely walk before the surgery, and now I'm mobile... granted there is still lingering affects like the nerve damage to my legs. I'll be taking Neurontin for the rest of my life but it's better than if I didn't go through with it.

circmand
08/30/2010, 03:34 PM
I thought I would share my experiences from the past couple years....

In '06, I went to Germany for the major lower back surgery. They replaced 3 discs and fused 3 levelsall in one surgery. Lots of Cobalt Alloy and Titanium!!!

To start off this year, I had 3 levels fused in my neck... Titanium and Carbon Fiber this time.

No pics at this time, but I also had brain surgery to fix a nasty aneurysm behind my left orbital area (exact same thing my mom died from at the age of 62) The clip is made from Titanium as well... ;)
img][/url]

Not sure how it fits this forum though. Maybe non VX related forum

Luna X
08/30/2010, 03:41 PM
I posted it in the "modifications"....... after all, I'm the human to the VX :bwgy:

vt_maverick
08/30/2010, 05:42 PM
You must be a used car salesman...

Buyer: "Uh, those body parts don't line up right, there's zip ties and clips everywhere. Looks like frame damage to me."

Seller: "Frame damage? Looks like new parts and a great paint job to me!"

VX KAT
08/30/2010, 09:54 PM
Don't mind circmand (Dave), he's just being grumpy today :p

And, :_wtf:......what the heck did you do to yourself to get that messed up?:freek:....and I can only imagine how yer goin' mod the real VX :goof:

PK
08/30/2010, 10:15 PM
Boy - I bet you beep going through airport security.:p;):o

Good to know you are recovering well.
I was threatened with multiple fusions (L3, 4, and 5) back in 2003, but finally found a physiotherapist that could teach me to build up my core strength even when in pain.
It worked, and I am now pain free and can do (almost) anything I want.
Loosing about 30kg (66 lb) helped as well.:bwgy::smilewink

Keep up the good work.

PK

Luna X
08/31/2010, 09:36 AM
I always expected to set off security scans, but all the "exotic" metals do not have magnetic properties to set them off.... I could imagine the look on a checkpoint officer's face if I walked through one of those new full body scan machines in a few airports ;eeky;

Unfortunately for me, I don't have a good story as to why/how my spine is so deteriorated... it's just a genetic thing. Sometimes I think I should make up some extravagant, detailed story. But, at the same time, truth is stranger than fiction... ;)

And I'll take the time to say to Dave (circmand)

Does it REALLY bother you that much that I posted my story in modifications thread?... negative comments like yours take the fun out of even tryin' to connect with other people out there

circmand
08/31/2010, 03:58 PM
I always expected to set off security scans, but all the "exotic" metals do not have magnetic properties to set them off.... I could imagine the look on a checkpoint officer's face if I walked through one of those new full body scan machines in a few airports ;eeky;

Unfortunately for me, I don't have a good story as to why/how my spine is so deteriorated... it's just a genetic thing. Sometimes I think I should make up some extravagant, detailed story. But, at the same time, truth is stranger than fiction... ;)

And I'll take the time to say to Dave (circmand)

Does it REALLY bother you that much that I posted my story in modifications thread?... negative comments like yours take the fun out of even tryin' to connect with other people out there

Its hard to follow threads and read what you want and ignore the rest when people do not post in the correct thread. I dont mean to take your fun away of posting but think about you take the fun away from me by posting in an area with a lede that makes me think I may be aquiring valuable VX knowledge but instead a get personal info. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But its like opening a christmas present when you are a kid and finding socks. I really do not see how posting in the proper forum would take away any of your fun,

But really why have threads and forums if everyone is going to ignore them. Frankly I think Moncha spends a lot of time and effort on setting this site up and maintaining it and to ignore his format makes his effort a waste of time.

I am not speaking for Moncha but if I spent all the time and effort on this and people just ignored it I would be dissappointed.

vt_maverick
08/31/2010, 04:20 PM
Circ - Have you tried hovering your mouse over the thread name from the home page (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Home)? Doing that shows you a preview of post #1 in the thread, which I personally find makes it easier to decide whether you're interested in a thread or not (correctly categorized or otherwise).

I think if you try using that feature you may find poor categorization to be less of an issue.

Luna X
08/31/2010, 04:49 PM
sure................. leave it up to the guy that cried and debated over a football game on this forum for HOW LONG?!?! Maybe if you cry to Moncha or another administrator enough, they will change my category for you.... because it's all about YOU!!

It must have taken you, what, 30 seconds to read my posting? Then you had to take the time to complain about it?.... If the post wasn't what you expected, then effin' MOVE ON.

This is the first forum I've belong to and I always wonder why people have to be negative online.

VX KAT
08/31/2010, 05:30 PM
Ditto mav....that's what I do...works for me, takes just seconds to decide if I want to read that thread or not. Give it a try Dave. Nobody's trying to aggravate or annoy you, just bein' friendly.

tom4bren
09/01/2010, 06:53 AM
& whatever you do, do NOT open the thread about the bully bar with offset.:)

samneil2000
09/01/2010, 08:18 AM
So it looks like they replaced some deteriorated disks with man-made disks, but only for a few. And then they did a fusion on some others. I wonder what the thought process/ plan was for that. Leave you some mobility at your lower back and fuse the middle part?

I have an L4 fusion myself. I've always wondered about those disk replacements and think it would have been nice to keep that mobility.

tom4bren
09/01/2010, 08:26 AM
Wifey had similar modifications & she's still flexible (That didn't sound quite right but I'll leave it alone).

In theory, the fusion will cause increased wear on the ajacent disks over time but the few people I know that have had the procedure have not had any significant degeneration & the the benefits have been well worth the effort.

For me the biggest concern is toxidity or rejection of the foreign materials. Some small percentage of people do experience those problems. One of our own members has gone through that after a severe car accident.

Luna X
09/01/2010, 08:50 AM
So it looks like they replaced some deteriorated disks with man-made disks, but only for a few. And then they did a fusion on some others. I wonder what the thought process/ plan was for that. Leave you some mobility at your lower back and fuse the middle part?

I have an L4 fusion myself. I've always wondered about those disk replacements and think it would have been nice to keep that mobility.

Disc replacement is the way to go, for exactly that reason.

It was Oct. '06 when I went to Germany for the big operation. Here in the States, all they wanted to do for me was implant a medicine/pain pump into my abdomen that automatically sends morphine directly to the affected areas..... no thanks!
At that time, only single level replacements were just at trial stages, but I'm sure they are becoming more popular now.