PDA

View Full Version : Uh-Ohhhhhh

Anita
09/19/2010, 10:05 PM
Well, had a scary day with the VX today. Without any warning, after driving down a bumpy road near home, the VX started smelling of gas. No change in engine sound or performance. Our home was a block and away, luckily. Upon getting out of the truck gas was pouring from the underside - slightly behind and between the front wheels.

The flow subsided, and we ordered up a tow truck. As he hooked up the vx to by pulled on to the flatbed, more gas trickled out.

We took the VX to the beloved mechanic (though it was closed on Sunday), and left her for them to see tomorrow morning.

Hopefully, its something easy. :(

Triathlete
09/19/2010, 10:08 PM
Maybe just the fuel line?

Ldub
09/19/2010, 11:06 PM

That'd be my guess...:_wrench:

Hoping for good news...:yesgray:

Though changing out the fuel line is no fun...:(

:luck:

lasturbo
09/19/2010, 11:28 PM

That's what it sounds like. Maybe a rubber line that has deteriorated or a rock or something was thrown up and hit one of them. Hopefully something simple and cheap Anita!!!

WormGod
09/20/2010, 07:14 AM
Ya, thinking that too. The hose on the FPR is essentially just sleeve on, so I can see where maybe some years of rubber-corrosion on the hose and some road vibration could work it loose. It is right above the location you are describing anyways.

Here's to hoping it's a case of, "oh this is all it is".

vt_maverick
09/20/2010, 07:27 AM
Had something very similar happen to an old minivan. It was previously owned in both Ohio and Pennsylvania and spent most of its 12 years outside, so I wasn't too surprised when I started it one day and started smelling gas. Engine was idling really rough so I walked around the front of the vehicle to pop the hood when I saw that there was a fine mist of gasoline coming out of the front grill! :eek: As everyone else has suggested, the fuel line had finally cracked from all those years of corrosion.

In my case I called the junkyard and had them tow it away for $70. But of course that's because in excellent condition at a dealership it was worth $700 (I think PP in realistic condition was $150 lol). Good luck Anita!

Marlin
09/20/2010, 02:24 PM
Had something very similar happen to an old minivan. It was previously owned in both Ohio and Pennsylvania and spent most of its 12 years outside, so I wasn't too surprised when I started it one day and started smelling gas. Engine was idling really rough so I walked around the front of the vehicle to pop the hood when I saw that there was a fine mist of gasoline coming out of the front grill! :eek: As everyone else has suggested, the fuel line had finally cracked from all those years of corrosion.

In my case I called the junkyard and had them tow it away for $70. But of course that's because in excellent condition at a dealership it was worth $700 (I think PP in realistic condition was $150 lol). Good luck Anita!

Hey, the VX is worth about 19-23K as long as its an Ironman edition...:goof:

I hope its nothing major, now I have to go check on mine...thanks for making me paranoid. :rolleyes:

Triathlete
09/20/2010, 03:33 PM
Though changing out the fuel line is no fun...:(

:luck:

Not for her...she's got a mechanic!:yesy::bwgy:

deermagnet
09/20/2010, 03:38 PM
I'm sure it'll be fairly easy to find and fix the problem. I'm just glad it didn't burst into flames!

Mark

Anita
09/20/2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks to all of you for the advice and calming my dread that something serious happened. :thanx:

Like me, my VX can be quite dramatic but only at rare times. Pouring gas from underneath ny VX reminded me of my baby 74 Karmann Ghia springing a fuel leak that caught fire. A quick thinking good samaritan brought out his extinguisher before it did major damage.

The Beloved dealer mechanic found a deteriorating clamp on the fuel line. Replaced and all is well.

They didnt even charge me...:yesgray: :heart: :clap:

VX KAT
09/20/2010, 09:16 PM
The Beloved dealer mechanic found a deteriorating clamp on the fuel line. Replaced and all is well.

They didnt even charge me...:yesgray: :heart: :clap:

The news doesn't get any better than that ! WAHOO! :thumbup:
Sure wish I was closer to your mechanic!!

cyronman
09/20/2010, 09:38 PM
Good news, Anita.

By the way, is it still Mike there at the shop?

Anita
09/20/2010, 10:17 PM
Good news, Anita.

By the way, is it still Mike there at the shop?

Yep.. Mike is still there. The service rep (Joann)that helps me is there as well.

I sometimes wish I could steal him away from his work to do a So. Cal VX clinic and discuss the mechanical issues/ maintenance we deal with regularly. He is a fount of knowledge IMHO.

lasturbo
09/21/2010, 12:10 AM
Good News and like the bill.....$0.00

nfpgasmask
09/21/2010, 08:36 AM
Awesome, Anita! Glad to hear it is all better.

And this is a good reminder to us all that our VXes are no spring chickens anymore. Crawl under there and look at things folks!

Bart

samneil2000
09/21/2010, 09:24 AM
Awesome, Anita! Glad to hear it is all better.

And this is a good reminder to us all that our VXes are no spring chickens anymore. Crawl under there and look at things folks!

Bart

Just watch out for that dripping gas, would probably hurt the eyeballs :bwgy: