PDA

View Full Version : What do you want fabricated for your VX?

VXorado
10/01/2010, 11:49 AM
Hey everyone,

My buddy and I are going to start fabricating some offroad parts for the VX and his Jeep. He is a certified welder and we have access to an arsenal of metal fabricating equipment.

Heres what i'm thinking of fabricating:

-Inside bumper winch plate
-Front bumper/armor, something like Green Dragon's VX??
-Rear bumper/armor, swing away tire carrier not mounted to door
-Rock sliders
-dropped diff bracket (with your core)
-VX CB antenna brackets for mounting on back door without drilling into cladding

We are going to start designing these and test fitting them on my VX :bwgy:. If some of you are interested in the final products, I can put them for sale and even have them customized (to some degree) for you. The pricing will be fair and I'm hoping cheaper than other fabricated products available for the VX.

Just so I have an idea, would anybody be interested in these products? What else would you like fabricated for your VX?

samneil2000
10/01/2010, 12:16 PM
Just so I have an idea, would anybody be interested in these products? What else would you like fabricated for your VX?

Yep

Triathlete
10/01/2010, 02:15 PM
I have a front/rear bumper plan in my brain...let me know if you are interested:bwgy:

VXorado
10/01/2010, 03:03 PM
I have a front/rear bumper plan in my brain...let me know if you are interested:bwgy:

For sure Billy, the bumper designs are in the "brainstorming" stage right now. I'm open to ideas or suggestions from anyone.

Mile High VX
10/01/2010, 04:08 PM
How about some mounts for a bull bar?

Marlin
10/01/2010, 04:16 PM
Hmmm, how about something that goes under the oil pan. Something like what the Jeeps have. That is one of the lowest points on our vehicles, I have a little dent to prove it:(

VXorado
10/01/2010, 04:34 PM
How about some mounts for a bull bar?

Thats super easy, i would need the bull bar though cuz I don't have one. With a pipe bender, I could probably make a VX specific bull bar that would be cheaper than the $300ish westin bar. Either way its worth looking into.

VXorado
10/01/2010, 04:43 PM
Hmmm, how about something that goes under the oil pan. Something like what the Jeeps have. That is one of the lowest points on our vehicles, I have a little dent to prove it:(

Sounds easy enough to make additional skids for the oil pan and transfer case ( that sticks down too), Just depends on what everyone is interested in. I have the Kilby skid plates and they're great but were around $650, are super heavy, and dont allow any heat to escape the tranny. I have been thinking about making some full skids that aren't solid metal but welded railing to allow protection and air flow. They wont protect as well as solid skid plates but will have many other benefits including a signifcantly cheaper price.

Triathlete
10/01/2010, 07:08 PM
For sure Billy, the bumper designs are in the "brainstorming" stage right now. I'm open to ideas or suggestions from anyone.

I'll have to try and get it from brain to paper, scan it and shoot it your way. Give me a few weeks til my training lets up a bit and my race taper begins

RallyDude
10/01/2010, 07:17 PM
I wish your buddy was my buddy too! That sounds awesome.

I wonder how much protection Tone's hitch provides as a bumper? I know the metal hidden bumpers were fairly poor when new, and they tended to rot out. With the winch mount you have the front taken care of, but I am wondering about the protection in the rear?

One other possibility would be to make a hitch receiver for the front, so a winch could easily be moved from front to rear, or even removed when not wheeling.

I'm hoping with a a screen name like VXorado, means you live in Colorado? I'm in Idaho Springs and will need some custom fabrication done soon. Let me know.

VX KAT
10/01/2010, 07:48 PM
I have the Kilby skid plates and they're great but were around $650, are super heavy, and dont allow any heat to escape the tranny. I have been thinking about making some full skids that aren't solid metal but welded railing to allow protection and air flow. They wont protect as well as solid skid plates but will have many other benefits including a signifcantly cheaper price.

Orion (Greg) custom made some skids exactly like that and him and Jack (pbkid) installed them on Jack's VX in Moab 5/09. Jack has since sold his VX, but maybe he and Greg have pics.

rowhard
10/01/2010, 07:54 PM
Hmmm, That is one of the lowest points on our vehicles, I have a little dent to prove it:(

I'm not surprised Chris. After watching you at Moab last year reminded me of the scene in the movie '30 Seconds Over Tokyo' where they were about to push Van Johnson's B-25 over the side of the carrier.

Okay, let Riff Raff explain it, he's old enough

Marlin
10/01/2010, 08:46 PM
Orion (Greg) custom made some skids exactly like that and him and Jack (pbkid) installed them on Jack's VX in Moab 5/09. Jack has since sold his VX, but maybe he and Greg have pics.

I looked at em at Moab, they were a tubing design, so if you were to get hung up, and those tubes flexed....you get the idea. I want something, god forbid Justin (Zeus) reads this, like the Jeep shovel, only not so shovelish. Something that goes from the first cross member to the front, but not a skid plate, maybe a complete removal of the useless cross member and something a little lower to take the brunt of the undercarriage hits. Nevermind, I have about 20 feet of 3/8" 2x2 angle iron, I smell a project...after I install the super flexy IFS kit, paid for today, install the replacement SS brake line and rear EBC brake pads, the new inclinometer, front low pro bump stops, ball joint flip, rhino line hood insert, fenders and front bumper, install foglights...damn, and I still have to lift the RS, install rancho 9000s, ball joint swap, new CV boots, CB in the RS and F250, stereo in the RS, modify Racetrim kids car seats, all by 20 OCT. Oh, and do statistics and English Comp HW for the next 4 weeks in preparation for my Uwharrie and KC, MO trip. This sucks.

Back to the topic. How about you fab me a robot to do all this menial labor, one that speaks English please....:bgwb:

Luna X
10/02/2010, 12:55 AM
I would like a ful set of skid plates, based on the fiberglass ones.
front, rear, and sides.
They are more for "show" than "go", but that's what I'm looking for. It will basically look like a ground effects kit for the VX

does that give ya any idears?... ;)

Marlin
10/02/2010, 04:21 AM
front, rear, and sides.
They are more for "show" than "go", but that's what I'm looking for. It will basically look like a ground effects kit for the VX

While I understand what you are saying, he is talking about making this stuff out of steel, and something all encompassing like what you want would be heavy:)

VXorado
10/02/2010, 05:16 AM
One other possibility would be to make a hitch receiver for the front, so a winch could easily be moved from front to rear, or even removed when not wheeling.

I'm thinking this would be an option on the winch plate, a hitch reciever could take the place for the fairlead roller.

VXorado
10/02/2010, 05:23 AM

Exactly what i was thinking :smilewink.

front, rear, and sides.

Like Marlin said, I'll be making steel accessories mainly for offroad use. IIRC, a fellow VXer can make the fiberglass set for you (at least the front), its in a thread somewhere around here...

Mile High VX
10/02/2010, 07:10 AM
Not sure what the status of our window bracket supply is, but you might consider being an alternative in case a decision is made to discontinue...

Luna X
10/02/2010, 08:48 AM
While I understand what you are saying, he is talking about making this stuff out of steel, and something all encompassing like what you want would be heavy:)

yeah.... I was hoping they would stretch their fabricating skills to sheet metal.

I'm not giving up the hunt for those skid plates.... ;)

Luna X
10/02/2010, 08:50 AM
Not sure what the status of our window bracket supply is, but you might consider being an alternative in case a decision is made to discontinue...

I just spoke with Tim @(SBC) and he still makes them to order... $65

VXorado
10/02/2010, 02:00 PM
yeah.... I was hoping they would stretch their fabricating skills to sheet metal.

I'm not giving up the hunt for those skid plates.... ;)

I'd love to but that would require the metal to be molded and we don't have that equipment... yet :p

RallyDude
10/02/2010, 06:48 PM
I gotta say, I'm happy this is going on in Colorado. Shipping this stuff can run as much as the products. With a reasonably close proximity to Moab, and so many people going through Vail to get there, it will help a lot of us save some $ on shipping. Any interest in offering installation to local members? I'll have to hold my pinky up when I drink my can of beer, and tell people the best place to get a skid plate is Vail.

Now I know BigMeat VX makes a hitch receiver for the front, possibly he may give you plans? I know he'd probably rather make them, but it seems like a lot of members are doing it as a hobby, and are happy to help members out. Just a thought. Not sure how much engineering goes into something like this? It would be nice to see several fabricators across the country, that way most of the money goes to the fabricator, rather than the shipper. And we all get good prices on mods so we can buy more mods!

hyperkid
10/02/2010, 08:33 PM
I wish there was a company that made a really nice brush guard for the VX.

This one for the trooper looks great.

http://www.everythingsuv.com/waag_brush_guards_isuzu_trooper-esuv.asp

There was talk awhile back about a custom order but never got off the ground and I didn't want one then and I do now

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6818
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=429&highlight=group+buy

Luna X
10/03/2010, 08:17 AM

There was talk awhile back about a custom order but never got off the ground and I didn't want one then and I do now

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6818
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=429&highlight=group+buy

That type of brush guard is scary... a little 10-15 mph tap causes twice as much damage. If the guard gets hit/pushed back, you're damaging the hood, headlights, upper radiator support, etc...
I'd rather let the brush give me some "pinstriping" instead... ;)

vt_maverick
10/03/2010, 11:13 AM
Wonder how hard it would be for you guys to reproduce the PowerVault PV1 muffler? Heard CobraJet's at the meeting a few weeks ago and it sounded great. I would think fabricating the housing would be the easy part with the equipment you have. But I don't know what else would be required.

Also, can you fabricate a printing press? Manufacturing my own $20's would make all this a lot more affordable. ;)

VXorado
10/03/2010, 01:47 PM
I gotta say, I'm happy this is going on in Colorado. Shipping this stuff can run as much as the products. With a reasonably close proximity to Moab, and so many people going through Vail to get there, it will help a lot of us save some $ on shipping. Any interest in offering installation to local members? I'll have to hold my pinky up when I drink my can of beer, and tell people the best place to get a skid plate is Vail.

I'm sure I could give you a hand with any installation, hopefully none of it will be too complicated.

Shipping can be pricey for sure and the Moab meet could be used for exchange to save on shipping.

Wonder how hard it would be for you guys to reproduce the PowerVault PV1 muffler? Heard CobraJet's at the meeting a few weeks ago and it sounded great. I would think fabricating the housing would be the easy part with the equipment you have. But I don't know what else would be required.

Also, can you fabricate a printing press? Manufacturing my own $20's would make all this a lot more affordable. ;)

I know mufflers aren't hard to make but I don't know enough about them to fabricate my own. It's a possiblity but we would need specs from the powervault muffler and lots of interest. Mufflers are pretty cheap so I doubt it would be worth the costs.

Can't make the printing press, too busy looking for money tree seeds :p

VXorado
10/03/2010, 01:53 PM

check out Jofotoz VX. He has a grill guard from a mercedes (??) with special frame mounts

Luna X is right though, Jo damaged his VX at Moab when the grill guard hit a rock and bend inward onto the body.

vt_maverick
10/04/2010, 07:51 AM
I know mufflers aren't hard to make but I don't know enough about them to fabricate my own. It's a possiblity but we would need specs from the powervault muffler and lots of interest. Mufflers are pretty cheap so I doubt it would be worth the costs.

Plus we'd probably need a member to pony up their PV1 for you to cut up and examine. Any takers? :yesy: Does anyone remember how much the PV1's cost brand new? Cobrajet perhaps?

tom4bren
10/04/2010, 08:26 AM
There is a fairly simple part that could prove to be popular to VX owners.

A bracket to raise the rearview mirror should be simple enough to fabricate but you would probably have to purchase a bit to make the proper cut(s). The idea would be to replicate the mounting feature of the mirror mount to slide over the metal piece attached to the windshield & replicate the mating feature at the other end. It should be about 3" long to allow raising the mirror & still allow enough movement to NOT interfere with the sunvisors flipping down.

Many members have mounted their scan guage above the mirror so they wouldn't be interested but there would certainly still have a fair number that would bite.

I talked about it to Welder Guy but he likes working on bigger pieces and wants to leave the little stuff to someone else.

I could try drawing something up if my description is too confusing.

vt_maverick
10/04/2010, 10:49 AM
Pics would help. I remember one of my first impressions when test driving the VX was how much the rear view mirror obstructed your view of the road, so anything to lessen that effect would be interesting.

MSHardeman
10/04/2010, 11:13 AM
Just push the rearview mirror up closer to the roof.:rolleyes: I know that sounds ridiculous, but I had the same problem when I first bought my VX until I realized that the mirror is on a "double jointed" mount because it articulates at the windshield and at the mirror. I just adjusted it until the mirror was tucked right up next to the roof line. It actually helped with visibility out of the rear window because now the reflection was looking over the back seat and "down" out of the rear window. Don't have it set up that way any more as I am one of those that mounted the ScanGauge above the mirror.

Tom, maybe you've already done this adjustment and are still looking to get the mirror higher.

Sorry for the TJ Jon.

Marlin
10/04/2010, 11:24 AM
Just push the rearview mirror up closer to the roof.:rolleyes: I know that sounds ridiculous, but I had the same problem when I first bought my VX until I realized that the mirror is on a "double jointed" mount because it articulates at the windshield and at the mirror. I just adjusted it until the mirror was tucked right up next to the roof line. It actually helped with visibility out of the rear window because now the reflection was looking over the back seat and "down" out of the rear window. Don't have it set up that way any more as I am one of those that mounted the ScanGauge above the mirror.

Tom, maybe you've already done this adjustment and are still looking to get the mirror higher.

Sorry for the TJ Jon.

Or spend about 150 bucks, video can be adjusted to any size you want, and its still a mirror as well, dual layer screen:):

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/CAMERA_ON.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/camera_off.JPG

VXorado
10/05/2010, 07:53 AM
Its worth looking into the rear view mirror mount if people are interested. There a couple "2 second fixes" like pushing it up further with the double joints (like Mark) or you can always turn the mirror upside down & it will sit way higher (although the map lights will be upside down).

Marlin, I copied you a got the rear view mirror backup camera. You will get more windshield visability if you flip your mirror upside down and then mount the screen. It pretty much eliminates the gap between the roof liner and mirror

vt_maverick
10/05/2010, 08:00 AM
Just push the rearview mirror up closer to the roof.:rolleyes:

Tried this yesterday afternoon and it bought me maybe an inch of extra space. Rear view camera/monitor is definitely in the future, but I'd rather run it to a double-DIN screen inside a modified dash. That mod's way out there though, many pennies to save between now and then. :)

jmayer40
10/05/2010, 04:52 PM
It would nice if you could mount to ceiling like the older cars. they were not on shield. although if you fabbed one from an old mirror foot, but it is made from cheaper-sense of metal..sounds like mig work...as for rear view camera, seen one for sale at Advance auto store for 59.00...

pbkid
10/05/2010, 07:42 PM
jon- i would be happy to take pictures of my 'skid plates' on my VX... they are tube style and are extremely effective, and trust me, they are plenty strong, i beat the living hell out of em 2 years ago in MOAB and they held up great.
they are nice because they are lightweight, dont hold heat or mud in.

talk to 'orion' as he made mine and im sure he still has measurements and design for his... i was extremely happy with the results i got ;)

ill take some pics for you tomorrow if i can find time.

VXorado
10/05/2010, 07:58 PM
jon- i would be happy to take pictures of my 'skid plates' on my VX... they are tube style and are extremely effective, and trust me, they are plenty strong, i beat the living hell out of em 2 years ago in MOAB and they held up great.
they are nice because they are lightweight, dont hold heat or mud in.

talk to 'orion' as he made mine and im sure he still has measurements and design for his... i was extremely happy with the results i got ;)

ill take some pics for you tomorrow if i can find time.

Thanks Jack and no rush on the pics. Since I already have skid plates, i'll only make these is there are a few people interested. I'll mostly be fabbing up stuff I need first and seeing if fellow VXers are interested. I do think the tube style are the best skid plates for the VX when considering weight, heat venting & cost.

Dude, I saw a 4runner that looked exactly like yours on craigslist a while back (including the back window stickers). Took me a while to figure out it wasn't yours... do you have a stocker out there replicating everything you own?

pbkid
10/06/2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks Jack and no rush on the pics. Since I already have skid plates, i'll only make these is there are a few people interested. I'll mostly be fabbing up stuff I need first and seeing if fellow VXers are interested. I do think the tube style are the best skid plates for the VX when considering weight, heat venting & cost.

Dude, I saw a 4runner that looked exactly like yours on craigslist a while back (including the back window stickers). Took me a while to figure out it wasn't yours... do you have a stocker out there replicating everything you own?

haha, its possible ;)

i have a few friends that have been BEGGING me to sell my Runner to em...
partially due to the bumper on the front thats backordered almost 2 years :naughty:

etlsport
10/07/2010, 12:53 PM
I would love a swing out spare tire carrier that mounts to the holes under the vx that the curt hitch uses.. Probably a little ambitious though

VXorado
10/07/2010, 06:30 PM
I would love a swing out spare tire carrier that mounts to the holes under the vx that the curt hitch uses.. Probably a little ambitious though

its ambitous but possible, I really want one and will look more into it.

GeneralGarza
10/11/2010, 02:54 PM
YAy! i am really excited. i would not mind making a trip to vail for some mods on my VX. bumper guard or rail guards. is what i am looking for the most.

RallyDude
10/11/2010, 08:45 PM
pbkid, I'd like to see some pics of the tube skids. It sounds interesting. I don't need the protection of full skids, and don't want all the extra weight and mud and heat retention either. Saving a few bucks sounds nice too. Once I get my VX on the road, I'd love to come out and see about fabbing some custom work.

pbkid
10/11/2010, 09:06 PM
pbkid, I'd like to see some pics of the tube skids. It sounds interesting. I don't need the protection of full skids, and don't want all the extra weight and mud and heat retention either. Saving a few bucks sounds nice too. Once I get my VX on the road, I'd love to come out and see about fabbing some custom work.

ok, ill try to get some tomorrow...
sorry, ive been busy with waking up early for work, and tired in the afternoon.

they worked great for my use, like i said... i was happy for someone who wasnt dropping their VX from 20 feet up and trying to not bend plates..... the tube ones worked great for wheeling the living $h*t out of it in moab....

anyone here who has seen me in moab can attest to the fact that im not easy on my vehicles, in any sense.... and my tube plates protected my VX just fine....

RallyDude
10/11/2010, 09:07 PM
Hopefully Orion still has the plans, and is willing to share them.

Oh and LunaX, Rowhard makes the superficial fiberglass front skid plates. I believe he has the molds for the sides and rear as well, but those molds weren't in as good of condition, so he is just working on the fronts. From reading the posts, you may have to wait a while, so get in line. I think people want them faster than he can make them. I'd like a set of sides myself. To have someone fab a real metal skid that is functional and matches the fiberglass ones is going to cost more than the VX, would be extremely heavy, limit access, and retain mud and heat. There's a reason Isuzu made them from fiberglass. I'd suggest the superficial fiberglass ones for looks, and get a set of tube skids for wheeling.

And what's with the I-pad sized rearview mirrors? It's nice to see what's behind you, but not at the expense of seeing what's in front of you.

ryandesigns
09/01/2011, 10:10 PM
I'd like the internal winch mount! :yesgray:

VXorado
09/02/2011, 12:26 AM
I'd like the internal winch mount! :yesgray:

LOL I forgot about this old thread :eek:.

I moved away from my welder friend/shop & decided to not sell any metal fabricated items at this time. I'm currently working on a custom tire carrier and if it ends up looking good, I may build a second one and offer it through the forums. We'll see but I won't be taking any orders as I was thinking when I started this thread... maybe someday.

QUE_ES
01/04/2012, 12:09 AM
I think I found a picture of Green Dragon's front guard and I think it rocks. I would love to have one fabricated for my VX. What will be your asking price and how long would it take you to fabricate them. I am active duty and just found out I am getting shipped out in 4 months...so my time is limited. Thank you in advance.

G.

p.s
Here is my email as well kdlbdy@yahoo.com

Riff Raff
01/04/2012, 01:53 AM
I am active duty and just found out I am getting shipped out in 4 months...so my time is limited.

Since you are so close to your overseas deployment (destination "sand-box" I presume), you might want to wait until you return back to the USA to contemplate the mod and give it more intensive thought.

Most VX'ers here think a front brush/grill guard detracts from the original frontal beauty of the VX (that's why very few members have them). When I first bought my VX; I too wanted a front brush/grill guard, but after reconciliation and further thought agree with the majority here that the VX front-end is just too damn beautiful to disgrace with a frontal brush/grill guard. Give it more thought, and wait until you return back to the USA before making a decision (you just might change your mind).

:bgwb:

tom4bren
01/04/2012, 07:11 AM
G,

VXorado moved and doesn't have access to a welder anymore.

That's something that I could probably get Welder Guy to fab up but I doubt he'd be able to finish it before you PCS.

As an alternative, this company is located near me and may be interested in the business:

http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/

Lemme know if you need me to take mine by for them to get measurements to fab up something.

Tom

EDIT:

Their site doesn't seem to mention the fact that they are willing to fabricate 'one off' custom components but a previous member had contacted them in the past about it:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=6818&highlight=iron+pig

BTW, I'm really not interested in becoming a middle man in this. I'd appreciate it if you would deal directly with them on the design concept and just let me know when I need to take the VX by for them to take measurements/fit checks. Also, they will NOT be allowed to cut up my front cladding.

VX KAT
01/04/2012, 08:16 AM
I too wanted a front brush/grill guard, but after reconciliation and further thought agree with the majority here that the VX front-end is just too damn beautiful to disgrace with a frontal brush/grill guard. Give it more thought, and wait until you return back to the USA before making a decision (you just might change your mind).

:bgwb:

Another thing to consider about a grill guard, is how much damage it will cause in a frontal impact....especially with limited availability of our parts.
.Riff, think ya need more coffee or coke or sumpin' with some caffeine in the middle of the night! :p ;).....j/k buddy!

Triathlete
01/04/2012, 08:27 AM
The green dragon did not have a "brush gaurd" so all these posts are moot for que es. Grampa bob had a custom made front tube type bumper that was very functional for offroading...it is what gave his dragon the affectionate "warthog" nickname.

Que, being located in Texas you should have no problem finding a quality offtoad fab shop that could build you a bumper like that. Check local offroad forums for recommendations if you are unsure of where to go.

Cris
01/04/2012, 08:58 AM
Just cant modify perfection, yea did my exhaust but thats it. Ihave had my VX since new 1999 replaced a few things but never modified it. We have a vehicle that is collector status why ruin the value of it.People still think to this day I bought a new crossover lol lol lol mine still looks new and nothing needs replaced, good luck to those who have to.

VX KAT
01/04/2012, 09:17 AM
The green dragon did not have a "brush gaurd" so all these posts are moot for que es. Grampa bob had a custom made front tube type bumper that was very functional for offroading...it is what gave his dragon the affectionate "warthog" nickname.

Que, being located in Texas you should have no problem finding a quality offtoad fab shop that could build you a bumper like that. Check local offroad forums for recommendations if you are unsure of where to go.

I first thought it was Grampa Bob he was talking about too, but then recalled there was a Dragon that came up for sale about 6-8 months ago that had a big grill guard. I wonder if it's that one that he's referring to?? I don't have to time to look it up right now.

tom4bren
01/04/2012, 09:48 AM
I just talked to the guy at Iron Pig. They are interested in doing the work but mentioned up front that it could be expensive $90/hr + material. They are more interested in only fabricating 1-3 units though and aren't all that interested in higher quantities.

If Y'all settle on a design, I'll run it by to check on feasibility and estimated cost.

Lemme know.

VXorado
01/04/2012, 10:31 AM
VXorado moved and doesn't have access to a welder anymore.

I still have a small welder and do project for myself. I was hoping to get some general ideas from this thread but instead I got very specific ideas from everyone which wasn't usable for my purposes. For instance, "5 members want winch bumpers" would be great because I could design it, price it & build it in one production run. Custom projects can cost too much especially with the current price of steel & shipping. I haven't given up & do have some ideas for projects that may be in the works this year :thumbup:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/36dragon1.jpg

QUE ES, the best plan to get Green Dragon's front guard is to use Toms "Welder Guy" or just take it to a local custom shop. It will cost a lot so you might as well have it made exactly to your specs.

tom4bren
01/04/2012, 11:06 AM
I still have a small welder and do project for myself.

I stand corrected.:)

VXorado
01/04/2012, 11:15 AM
I stand corrected.:)

Indeed Sir... indeed.

VX KAT
01/04/2012, 02:46 PM
I first thought it was Grampa Bob he was talking about too, but then recalled there was a Dragon that came up for sale about 6-8 months ago that had a big grill guard. I wonder if it's that one that he's referring to?? I don't have to time to look it up right now.

I can't tell if Que_Es is referring to a grill/brush guard or some type of custom front tube/bumper???:?:

Here's the thread I was referring to: It was owned & sold by "decVX" but I can't find a pic of it now, all the links are expired and he has no pics in gallery.:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?p=215913#post215913

VXorado
01/04/2012, 03:46 PM
I can't tell if Que_Es is referring to a grill/brush guard or some type of custom front tube/bumper???:?:

He said green dragon so I figured it was the guard I put in my post.

Triathlete
01/04/2012, 04:32 PM
Nope, Grandpa Bob was Green Dragon.

pbkid
01/05/2012, 09:59 AM
hey, he could have also been refering to the grill guard that Tone used to sell. I believe his proto-type was pictured on a dragon, just FYI.

Not my style, as most of you know, but i guess some could like it :_confused

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/dennisdiaz_01/ug_800.jpg

pbkid
01/05/2012, 10:01 AM
i always though something similar to the bumper on my Runner, but form fitted for the VX would be amazing.

now i just need a VX to test on :naughty:
any takers? :smack:

Jon???

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3249/toyota_bumper.jpg

tom4bren
01/05/2012, 10:15 AM
hey, he could have also been refering to the grill guard that Tone used to sell. I believe his proto-type was pictured on a dragon, just FYI.

Not my style, as most of you know, but i guess some could like it :_confused

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo201/dennisdiaz_01/ug_800.jpg

I think that brushguard ended up on a Proton that sold last year. I didn't realize that it was the famous Tone concept unit. I recognize it from the tube diameter reduction on the center bar.

Triathlete
01/05/2012, 12:28 PM
I think I found a picture of Green Dragon's front guard and I think it rocks.

First sentence of ques post^^^^^^
Does not say i found a pic of a front gaurd on a green dragon...
....it say he found a picture of green dragons front gaurd...
...green dragon was grandpa bobs screen name...
...so que was speaking of grandpa bobs warthog bumper...
At least thats the way i read it.:)

VXorado
01/05/2012, 01:39 PM
i always though something similar to the bumper on my Runner, but form fitted for the VX would be amazing.

now i just need a VX to test on :naughty:
any takers? :smack:

Jon???

Definitely :). We should get together and throw some ideas back & forth. The plan is to build a winch bumper this Spring & it won't be a internal mount because of the change in bumper-frame position with the body lift.

I've been thinking a bumper similar to this:
http://www.ambox.ru/upload/medialibrary/1c3/%20isuzu%20vehicross%20z6n.jpg
http://www.ambox.ru/upload/medialibrary/acf/%20isuzu%20vehicross%20d2d.jpg

Our Russian friend had some great ideas and IMO just poorly implemented them. My frame sits below the front cladding, so I could build a bumper similar this Russian VX without cutting into the cladding as much. I'm still not sure on putting the tube bumper into the design.

I would like to look into other designs if you have some ideas. It would be a challenge to make an ARB style bumper for the VX that wouldn't look like Marlin's old frankenbumper :bgwb:.

pbkid
01/06/2012, 09:56 AM
oh i think it would be do-able on the VX, it just would take some time and design. Mainly, it couldnt stick out very far or it just detracts from the smooth front, it would have to be pretty flush with the front of the truck.

luckily our radiator sits back a ways so you probably have room for a winch even with a flush bumper

maybe some time this summer we will get together a few weekends and fab something up?

ps, hows the rear door looking?

VXorado
01/06/2012, 01:02 PM
maybe some time this summer we will get together a few weekends and fab something up?

ps, hows the rear door looking?

Sounds good Jack.

The rear door looks great & has been on the VX for a few weeks. Things are finally calming down from the holidays and I should have time to take some pics & post them this weekend.

Triathlete
01/06/2012, 01:40 PM
hows the rear door looking?

The ladies say mine looks fabulous!:bwgy:

eternal21
01/08/2012, 11:42 AM
Sounds good Jack.

The rear door looks great & has been on the VX for a few weeks. Things are finally calming down from the holidays and I should have time to take some pics & post them this weekend.

http://forums.acuralegend.org/images/smilies/postpics.gif

Triathlete
01/08/2012, 02:41 PM

:bwgy: :bwgy: :bwgy: :bwgy: :bwgy: :bwgy:
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo150/Triathlete/tri%20pic/6159962127_4d397ac64f_o_d.jpg

VXorado
01/11/2012, 09:05 PM

...if Billy's derriere wasn't enough for ya :eek:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21800

Here's the thread for the rear door project...with pics.

pdlock
09/11/2016, 03:57 PM
Do you know which Westin bull bar fits the Vehicross...and super important; what's the part number of the adapter plate set??