View Full Version : dumb question

ibmx2
10/05/2010, 11:03 PM
do you wax the hood insert ?

is it paint that can be waxed ?

RickOKC
10/05/2010, 11:31 PM
Hey, I'd say that's a good question! :)

I've used wax before on smooth plastic surfaces and always had good results. However, I think a shiny finish is contrary to the existence of the the hood insert (it's supposed to be an anti-glare feature.) Mine is a little shabby so I plan on repainting it so it's closer to being a matte-finish.

I hope you wait to hear from someone who has a VX that's more "like new" before you try waxing. :)

VX KAT
10/06/2010, 12:10 AM
I didn't apply anything to it at first, then decided to apply the Refinish/Restore stuff. It's held up well (contrary to how it's held up on the rest of my cladding...but that's in another thread...)

I'd try the Aerospace Protectant 303 since it seems like it would absorb to some degree and it gives a nice rich matte finish with no greasy residue at all, and has SPF40 to protect it from the sun. The insert isn't plastic, but I can't recall right now what I've read it's made of...fiberglass maybe??? anybody recall right quick?? And I can't recall if it's painted or if it's solid gray throughout.

I was waxing the hood the other day with the ICE polish by Turtle Wax and accidently hit the insert a bit....it showed up on the insert just like you'd expect an oily rag would leave a mark....I buffed it with a dry rag and it blended right in and looked good. Which makes me think the R/R is NOT an impermeable coating...:?:

IndianaVX
10/06/2010, 02:24 AM
i have always used the ice on the hood insert, roof rails, and mirrors. oh, and on the front grille.
thats about the only reason i have a bottle of the stuff.
although, to get a good finish on the insert, you need to do a couple of coats of wipe on, wipe off (weedhopper) to get a good even finish.

Mile High VX
10/06/2010, 05:29 AM
When I buffed my VX out using Meguiars ultimate compound, swirl X and NXT wax I did the insert too. It looked great afterwards.

I use the same Meguiars treatment on it that I use on my cladding and it keeps it looking good.

tom4bren
10/06/2010, 06:00 AM
I went one better. I had mine LineX'd. Love the results.

Ascinder
10/06/2010, 06:14 AM
Yep. I just used regular bedliner on mine. Love it! It's soon to be cut up for an induction hood though.:(

vt_maverick
10/06/2010, 06:47 AM
When I buffed my VX out using Meguiars ultimate compound, swirl X and NXT wax I did the insert too. It looked great afterwards.

I use the same Meguiars treatment on it that I use on my cladding and it keeps it looking good.

Ditto on the Meguiar's NXT Wax, looks great though it does leave a low sheen. That level of shine may be more than the designers originally intended, but it's still significantly less glare than the painted sections of the hood.

I will warn you NOT to use B2B on the hood, I made that mistake shortly after buying my VX. Not only did it look terrible (greasy and swirly) it took a ton of elbow grease to get it all off.

rowhard
10/06/2010, 08:14 AM
before I installed the carbon fiber insert, I used turtle wax colored wax, (black of course). Worked very well.

Mile High VX
10/06/2010, 08:44 AM
before I installed the carbon fiber insert, I used turtle wax colored wax, (black of course). Worked very well.

I tried that as well and had good results. Gets better and better the more you use it...

samneil2000
10/06/2010, 11:51 AM

They didn't have dark gray? :p :bgwb:

Just kidding. I painted mine with rattle-can trim paint. Not sure how it would handle any sort of waxing etc...

Cobrajet
10/12/2010, 10:38 AM
I use Turtlewax Ice on my cladding, insert, mirrors and roof rails, and it all looks good. Not too shiny. I use 303 on the tires. My VX doesn't sit out in the sun and rain, so it also lasts quite a while between applications.

vt_maverick
10/12/2010, 11:29 AM
Grrr... wish we had a parking deck where I work. Nothing but open parking lot for me. :(