PDA

View Full Version : Code P0401 won't go away

jeff_54
10/22/2010, 02:21 PM
The P0401 code on my 99 VX shows to be "EGR Flow Insufficient". Research points to the EGR valve. I took it off and cleaned it real good and re-installed with a new gasket. The code came back. A new one costs $160 so I'm reluctant to buy one unless I'm sure thats the problem. Anyone else run across this?

jeff_54
10/22/2010, 03:44 PM
Man - that worked!! You rock!

hxdiaz
01/14/2012, 09:57 AM
This quick and easy job worked for me too. My check engine light went off soon after and has not returned. I used CRC throttle-body and air intake cleaner. I cleaned the throttle-body while I was at it.

I bought a new EGR valve when I learned what the code P0401 was, from Amazon. Easy to install. I hadn't seen this thread at the time -- maybe I didn't need a new EGR valve after all, just a good cleaning.

jeeperkate
01/14/2012, 05:07 PM
I am just learning about VXs, but I read a lot about these EGR valves. Can someone on here educate me as to what it looks like and its location in the engine compartment? If you have any pictures of this process of cleaning it, please post those too.

I did a little research on youtube, but nothing is specific enough to the VXs. It seems location on the engine is different for every vehicle.

Thanks for teaching :-) Hopefully one day I will put this new found knowledge to work!

Ldub
01/14/2012, 05:30 PM
I am just learning about VXs, but I read a lot about these EGR valves. Can someone on here educate me as to what it looks like and its location in the engine compartment? If you have any pictures of this process of cleaning it, please post those too.

I did a little research on youtube, but nothing is specific enough to the VXs. It seems location on the engine is different for every vehicle.

Thanks for teaching :-) Hopefully one day I will put this new found knowledge to work!

Here ya go Kate...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/My_VX_0011.jpg

It's near the firewall, on the pass side of the engine bay.
Though this example is on a supercharged engine, the loca is virtually the same on N/A engines.

jeeperkate
01/15/2012, 07:01 AM
Thank you!

Triathlete
01/15/2012, 08:21 AM
Now get out there and take care of that rust Dub!

Ldub
01/15/2012, 08:30 AM
Now get out there and take care of that rust Dub!

Billy...Billy...Billy...:rolleyesg

That ain't mine Bro, just the 1st pic I found when I searched EGR pic...:smilewink

If you would drop your "dub persecution" persona, & LOOK, you'd see that the firewall is what color???...:slap:.:rotate:.:laughing: