PDA

View Full Version : beating a dead horse

phx99blackvx
10/24/2010, 04:04 PM
I know there are many threads out there and I do apologize in advance, but here it goes again: I have 99VX and found the passenger side outer CV Boot completely tore open, there is still grease on the joint and it makes no noise at this time. I have a friend that is a good shade tree mechanic and he advised best to just change the axle at this time, versus putting just a boot on since the work isn't much more involved once you do the work just to get to get to the outer boot. I have read the prior threads, but I am still confused about the interchangeability of our axles and other Isuzu vehicles. I went to ebay and found a posting for an axle and it included the following chart for interchangeability:

2002 Isuzu Trooper Limited Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
2002 Isuzu Trooper LS Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
2002 Isuzu Trooper S Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
2001 Isuzu Trooper Limited Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
2001 Isuzu Trooper LS Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
2001 Isuzu Trooper S Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS Base Sport Utility 2-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
2000 Isuzu Trooper Limited Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
2000 Isuzu Trooper LS Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
2000 Isuzu Trooper S Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
2000 Isuzu VehiCROSS Base Sport Utility 2-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
1999 Acura SLX Premium Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3494CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
1999 Isuzu Trooper S Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
1999 Isuzu VehiCROSS Base Sport Utility 2-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
1998 Acura SLX Premium Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3494CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
1998 Isuzu Trooper S Sport Utility 4-Door 3.5L 3475CC V6 GAS DOHC Naturally Aspirated View
1997 Acura SLX Base Sport Utility 4-Door 3.2L 3165CC V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated View
1997 Acura SLX Premium Sport Utility 4-Door 3.2L 3165CC V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated View
1997 Isuzu Trooper LS Sport Utility 4-Door 3.2L 3165CC V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated View
1997 Isuzu Trooper Ltd Sport Utility 4-Door 3.2L 3165CC V6 GAS SOHC Naturally Aspirated View

I have located a passenger side axle for a 99 Trooper through PEP Boys and I just need to ask, has anyone tried a same year axle from a trooper yet. I think my plan will be to get the trooper axle and a boot. If we take the old one off and see that it does not match up, will most likely just do the boot and return the axle.

Again I apologize in advance, but just checking to see if there are any solid answers at this time.

Thanks for not flaming me on this post.

Ascinder
10/24/2010, 04:09 PM
Depending on how many miles you have you could either replace the boot or thew whole axle. Personally, I'd almost always do the boot. Boots are cheap, axles aren't. All you need to do is clean out the CV and make sure there isn't any debris inside before you put on the new boot. These things last almost forever if properly maintained and aren't overtaxed (lifting and wheeling).

phx99blackvx
10/24/2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks ascinder for the reply, I have 88,000 miles. All stock, no hard off roading since Ive owned it, I am the 2nd owner, purchased it with 78K on, do not know the entire history, but I does not look like it has seen much Off road duty as it was in great shape when I got. I just replaced the back brakes, original, today, the front had well over half thickness, I just cant attest if they are original or not

Ascinder
10/24/2010, 04:38 PM
There are people on here with over 200K miles on stock CVs, so that was where I was coming from with just replacing the boot. Sounds like you got a good rig. I don't know if you knew or not but there are several writeups on here by Triathlete and I think maybe Marlin did one too on replacing your CV boots without totally removing them. Good luck!

MSHardeman
10/24/2010, 06:08 PM
I would agree with Ascinder. Get into the CV, give it a good cleaning and check to see if anything is marked up. If everything looks good, just repack it with grease and put a new boot on it.

I have been having some issues with my driver side inner CV and have been having a bear of a time finding a replacement axle. The outer axle (from the inner CV to the wheel) is relatively easy to find and EMPI makes a replacement that you can get for $70. The part number is 80-3619 ( http://www.jcwhitney.com/new-fwd-drive-axles/p2021138.jcwx?skuId=553469&TID=8014524FT4&zmam=15972153&zmas=21&zmac=141&zmap=548592 ) and they are super easy to find. Triathlete has replaced his axles with these and says that he hasn't had any problems with them so far.

If you are looking to replace the whole axle all the way in to the third member let me know because that's what I have been up against, and with the help of a few members here I have finally pulled all of the part numbers together to get that done.

Triathlete
10/24/2010, 06:16 PM
Just a note...your stock CV's are way stronger than anything you will get at Pepboys, Checkers, Autozone etc. I would go the boot route first.
Yes it is not much extra work to replace the whole thing but you will be losing the quality of the factory shafts. just my .02.:bwgy:

tom4bren
10/25/2010, 06:03 AM
If your CV isn't making noise then just replacing the boot is all that is required. Your friend is almost right in that you'll be quite a ways into replacing the entire axle assembly but if you use the MechaTech installation instructions in the Download section, you'll only be about 60% of the way to axle replacement rather than 90% like he's estimating.

The other factor is $$$. Axles are expensive if you can find one at all. A set of 4 boots will only set you back about $150. Even if you find a set of used axles, you should probably replace the boots anyway.

phx99blackvx
10/26/2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies, based on how much grease was still on the axle on sunday, I am going to try the clean, regrease and re boot the current axle, I think I have caught it early enough that it should still be ok. In review of the the mecatech instrucstions, it appears getting to the axle is not all that bad, jack up vehicle on stands, use jack to relieve pressure on lower arm, undo 4 bolts, move back hub assembly a little and Walla', direct access to the axle. What about an alignment, is that required after this work? I have not seen in mentioned in other post, hmmmm... I plan on doing the above this weekend, I will provide a f/u when patient is in recovery.

Ascinder
10/26/2010, 07:50 PM
No alignment necessary. Be sure you get those bands for the boot on nice and snug though-otherwise it's messy.

VX KAT
06/15/2011, 09:05 AM
Mechanic discovered a torn pass side CV boot yesterday while installing the SuperSliders. See that large mound of grease below it. Didn't have any odd noises or anything.
Left it there for him to fix it today.

Any estimate how long it's been this way?
Maybe I tore it in Moab? If so, I've driven it for about 550 miles since.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_82831.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_82811.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_82921.jpg

Driver's side- looks OK.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC_8289.jpg

tom4bren
06/15/2011, 09:39 AM
Sue,

No way of telling how long ago your boot tore.

The good news is that the bad news could have been MUCH worse. It looks like your boot tore in the best possible way. It stayed together such that most of the grease stayed in & most of the dirt stayed out.

VX KAT
06/15/2011, 09:53 AM
The good news is that the bad news could have been MUCH worse. It looks like your boot tore in the best possible way. It stayed together such that most of the grease stayed in & most of the dirt stayed out.

My charmed life with this VX continues.....:thumbup:

Riff Raff
06/15/2011, 10:24 AM
Sue, kudo's to you for catchin' it early. I guess protecting CV's "internally" can't be helped with the Kilby skids. Is your mechanic gonna' have to remove a Kilby panel in order to fix it or can it be fixed with the Kilby undisturbed???

Triathlete
06/15/2011, 10:36 AM
The kilby plates are within the frame rails (right?), so he should be able to do the job with them in place.

Ldub
06/15/2011, 06:21 PM
Sue, kudo's to you for catchin' it early. I guess protecting CV's "internally" can't be helped with the Kilby skids. Is your mechanic gonna' have to remove a Kilby panel in order to fix it or can it be fixed with the Kilby undisturbed???

:confused:

LittleBeast
06/15/2011, 10:31 PM
A set of 4 boots will only set you back about $150.

UH..... www.rockauto.com :-) I got 4 boots for around $40 (including shipping) and they were at my door in 3-4 days!!!!!

$8.85 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1029702
or $11.09 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1029693
I have bought lots of different ones and Mecatech are NO better than these at all! Only the stock boots are better in quality, but you will pay ten times as much for them. As far as I can tell there really is not much difference if any at all for all the CV Boots RockAuto offers for the VX.

Changing boots is very easy, it is just messy. If I was closer I could walk you through the process and I am confident anyone could do this themselves, good luck!

But if you have someone do this for you make sure they do not charge anymore than 2 hours labor and MAKE sure they are not planning on charging you anymore than $50 for parts or you should just order your own boots and drop them off. If you are just going to replace that one side just get 2 boots or order 4 for backups for the other side while they are still under $9 at RockAuto :-)