PDA

View Full Version : Increasing My Size!!

Lizardmen3477
11/07/2010, 10:28 AM
Ok so I have been contemplating gettin bigger tires for quite some time now. I know everyone has their opinions about big rims on our cars but im just puttin it out their that I do and I love it as does everyone I come across. So with that said I am running 285/35/22s No they are not rubberbands but close to it, though the rim to tire ratio looks really nice. But my ride of course is a little rough at times and potholes suck. So i came across this link http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp I am thinking about getting 305/45/22s to give me some more meat. Now I know there will be some more cutting involved and I will prolly have to take it to a shop to get the Speedo adjusted cause it will be far off from the stock ratio. But whatworrys me on this site it says that going up from that big of a ratio from stock could cause brake failure. Is this really something that will happen? Any tips and advice would be nice this is a near future project of course its alot of money so Im hoping for a good christmas =D So please put your input thanks.

JHarris1385
11/07/2010, 11:08 AM
You should be fine. Its roughly a 33' tire with the weight of your rim. Any idea how heavy it is? If anything maybe consider steel braided lines. Post pictures when you do.

Riff Raff
11/07/2010, 06:21 PM
A much better tire size choice upgrade would be 305/40R22 (31.6" O.D./41 lbs) and mounted on super lightweight wheels like Center-Line's. The "40-series" width will fit much better within the tightly cramped front wheel-wells of the VX. Yes, the website of 1010Tires is correct and too much unsprung weight can greatly degrade braking ability. Here are some numbers to consider:

OEM Stock VX 18" wheel & tire:
18x7 OEM Wheel = 28 lbs each
OEM Tire 245/60R18 = 34 lbs each
Combined Weight Wheel/Tire = 62 lbs

The U.S. Tire Industry recommends to stay within 10 lbs of OEM spec's when upgrading to aftermarket wheels/tires to maintain safe braking distances using OEM brakes. Thus, in the case of the VX a combined total weight of wheel/tire to be no more than 72 lbs max. Granted, when upgrading both to an aftermarket wheel and an aftermarket tire, it will be extremely difficult to adhere to the 72 lbs max limit. Your best bet would be to find the absolute lightest aftermarket wheel you can find. For example:

Center-Line, Tomahawk Series - "Rapid" model wheel, 22x9 (6-5.5) = 37 lbs each
305/40R22 (31.6" O.D.) Tire = 41 lbs each
Combined Weight Wheel/Tire = 78 lbs

I'd say a mere 6 lbs overage per wheel/tire (78 lbs) combo is still within safe tolerances of the recommended max weight target (72 lbs). However, I wouldn't go any heavier. Again, find the lightest possible 22" wheel that meets your liking. Center-Line brand wheels would be my only choice.

:bgwb:

Lizardmen3477
11/07/2010, 09:24 PM
Well i alrdy have rims they are Bazo b4s i believe you can maybe look them up if ya like about their specs so im not gettin new rims just want bigger tires and i did mean 305/40/22 nots 45s
Wil the 40 series fit witout any major work besides some cutting? I have the 285/35/22s now and it is like i can barely fit a finger in there on certain parts of the turning

Riff Raff
11/08/2010, 04:53 AM
You won't know how much a 305/40R22 rubs until they are actually on the VX. However, the front wheel-wells of the VX is extremely tight and cramped, and anything bigger than your current 285/35R22 is gonna require major surgery.

I know your goal is to get a bit more sidewall rubber to soften your ride, but it's not gonna improve any with the 305's either. It will be just as stiff, with the added headaches of more rubbing.

My very best advice is to just stick with your current set-up with the 285/35R22 and possibly consider changing your shock absorber set-up for a more softer ride. Your speedometer is dead-on acurate with the 285/35R22 (29.9" O.D.) and won't need to be adjusted (see Tire Calculator at Discount Tire website). In the meantime, avoid hitting the potholes and pick streets that are a bit smoother. The VX is naturally stiff due to its short wheelbase, and gas-shocks. Again, stick with your current set-up with the 285/35R22.

:bgwb:

vt_maverick
11/08/2010, 03:53 PM
Before you upgrade the tires, have you considered cutting down your bump stops? I just did that on my VX last week, and the difference in ride quality is AMAZING! I was considering going to Rancho shocks to see if that helped, but now I realize the stops were the problem. Do a search if you're interested, I'm away from home this week or I would post pics myself. Very simple job, just need a wrench and hacksaw and away you go!

JHarris1385
11/08/2010, 07:27 PM
That 40 series to 45 series is a difference but its not terrible..... 4.8 to 5.4 sidewall height. And the 305 over your 285 is only 11.22 to 12.01.

I would like to know what your rim width is.

I would think others have stuffed almost the same meat under it, but with a lift or a crank of the t-bar in the front. If it is what you want, do it, there is nothing you can't overcome.

My 20's are heavy chromes so I know where you are coming from...

Lizardmen3477
11/08/2010, 08:45 PM
My rims are 22x 9.5 if thats what ur asking and yes i am slo plannin on lifting it. So maybe I should go for the lift and go for the 305/45s then? I just want to have alot of meat when its lifted to give it that really good look and balance

Lizardmen3477
11/08/2010, 08:47 PM
And to Vt never heard of cutting the bumpstops Ill have to look into that.

VX KAT
11/08/2010, 09:29 PM
And to Vt never heard of cutting the bumpstops Ill have to look into that.

Just FYI, he's talking about the rear bumpstops. Just cut the figure "8" by half, gives at least 1.5" additional space. I did that and have the adjustable Rancho shocks, now I'm MO' HAPPY! purrrrrrrrr:thumbup:

JHarris1385
11/08/2010, 09:43 PM
I am not well versed on tires in the 22 range but could you go with the thinner width? At 9.5 the 12 inch width is wide, but would look good, but may be too much when working with the ratio.

89Vette
12/02/2010, 09:44 PM
Rather than starting a new thread....

I'm looking to purchase a VX very soon and would also like to increase rim size. Noonan's Ebony with 18" Enkei's were my top pick until yesterday. I saw another wheel I'm now considering.

It's a 20x9" wheel that's SUPPOSED to come in the 6x5.5" bolt with 108" center bore. Plus, it looks to be available in 10mm and 30mm offsets.

I assume the 10mm offset would sit outboard the same/similar amount as Noonan's wheel setup -- but I know he cut the front bumper for clearance. If I use 275/45 tires, the diameter would be 29.8 and smaller than his 285/60/18's. That should help in the clearance department.

I would also consider the 30mm option but have no idea if there's enough room inboard. If I understand correctly, the stock wheel has a 1.5" offset. With a 7" rim width, 1.5" + 3.5" (center) would create 5" backspacing. A 9" wheel would already have 4.5" backspacing at the midline. So, the 10mm option would create approx the same backspacing as stock. That means the extra 2" would sit all on the outboard side of the hub.

I actually prefer the wheel sit about 1" outside the fenders. So, 10" on this wheel might be a tad further. Do the stock wheels sit at least 1/2" to 1" inside the fenders?

A 30mm offset would sit about 3/4" inch further in which might be perfect for my taste. But again, I'd have to wonder about inside clearance.

BTW: JHarris, what kind/size of wheel is in the 2nd pic of your sig? I love those wheels? Lift kit looks great too!

JHarris1385
12/02/2010, 11:12 PM
Those are 20'' Atech - not sure on backspacing as I don't pay too much attention to it unless its crazy. The tires are Yokohama AVS ST in 265-50-20 which I did not find on tirerack to post a link to. Atech are under a different name now, so I am told. I thin MB wheels maybe?

Honestly I am thinking of selling this set, but not sure how soon or if I will. I will probably make a thread here for opinions.

vt_maverick
12/03/2010, 12:34 PM
I went from the the stock 18's (38mm offset) in 245/60/18 to Borbet 18's (-2mm offset) in 265/60/18, which I believe means I've moved the outside of my tires 50mm (40mm for rims + half of the extra 20mm of tire width). I had to trim the front cladding on both sides and a very small square off the rear section of the front wheel well (driver's side only - weird). Neither are noticeable whatsoever.

Hard to say whether you'd rub with lower profile tires on wider offset rims without heavy slide rule usage. However I think it's reasonable to assume that if you have to do any trimming it won't be substantial.

Go for it! :thumbup:

89Vette
12/03/2010, 06:57 PM
Here's another question...

It sounds like the VX's need a larger-than-avg center bore hole. Not that other SUV/Trucks don't need that size as well, but it's larger than avg for the newer rigs. Also, by looking at the size of the center hubs for stock VX wheels, they concluded that a large, deep cap would be necessary.

As such, one local wheel store said very few wheels (only one brand) would have center caps large enough to fit a VX. But, when going back thru the wheel thread (at the top of this section), I notice a HUGE variety of wheel cap sizes. Heck, some of the wheels look like the center hub is completely covered and fits very nicely under a flush wheel face.

How can there be so much variance in the center cap section? Just picking a couple of random pics to show my point....

Here's one with big-azz center caps just like stock...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/0512.JPG

But here's another with essentially flush center caps....
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/2009_0426enero090096.JPG

So, what's the scoop with the center hub? Can I use a wheel with a flush cap like the white VX above?

JHarris1385
12/03/2010, 07:48 PM
Under the top picture center caps is about 2-3inches of space.

vt_maverick
12/03/2010, 08:04 PM
Same thing for the stock rims. And the lug pattern and center bore dimensions are very common, I know we share the same measurements as Chevy/GMC pickups and SUVs. Shouldn't be hard to find what you want at all.

etlsport
12/03/2010, 08:49 PM
The second photo is a wheel I sell.. Its an SSC style 74. The caps are actually about 3 inches deep but the face of the wheel is thick. So where the wheel touches the hub us an inch or two behind the face. The wheels on my vx are like this as well.. even more so.. I have about a 3-4 inch space.. I will try to take a photo if I can

JHarris1385
12/03/2010, 09:27 PM
Just find a wheel you like with the bolt pattern and bore and buy it. You can make it work.

89Vette
12/04/2010, 06:30 PM
Just find a wheel you like with the bolt pattern and bore and buy it. You can make it work.

That's what I'd like to think. But, even though NTB shows several wheels to fit, they called HQ for me last week and were told NO wheels fit the VX from NTB.

NTB referred me to KCTrends -- a leader in custom wheel-fitment for our city. That's ALL they do. They looked up pics of the stock VX/wheel on the net and said only a few wheels (out of thousands they list) would work. And, that it would require a certain brand that sells a cap spacer.

People now-a-days don't know their butt from a hole in the ground! You probably wouldn't be surprised at some of the other web inquiries I've made about wheel-fitment for a VX. If I could see their face while they replied, they are probably running around like chickens with their heads cut-off!

The wheels I'm really leaning toward, have a 110mm center hole -- slightly larger than the 108mm stock wheel. I hope that won't A) cause run-out vibration issues or B) present a problem trying to find a center cap to work -- if the stock cap isn't deep enough. Welding?

LOL

etlsport
12/04/2010, 08:15 PM
No worries on the vibrating from a large center bore. My wheel centers are much larger than the hubs.. No problems other than being a royal pain to get lug nuts started. But once one is tight. The wheel centers and the rest are easy

tom4bren
12/06/2010, 04:24 AM
No worries on the vibrating from a large center bore. My wheel centers are much larger than the hubs.. No problems other than being a royal pain to get lug nuts started. But once one is tight. The wheel centers and the rest are easy

X2

Just about all wheels are lug centric nowadays. As long as the center bore clears the hub, the lug nuts will center the wheel and not vibrate.

As far as modifying the hub cap - entirely doable. I had AR rims on my Samurai years ago & didn't like how far out the hub caps came. A buddy of mine cut an inch out and welded them with no ill effects.

vt_maverick
12/06/2010, 11:25 AM
That's what I'd like to think. But, even though NTB shows several wheels to fit, they called HQ for me last week and were told NO wheels fit the VX from NTB.

NTB referred me to KCTrends -- a leader in custom wheel-fitment for our city. That's ALL they do. They looked up pics of the stock VX/wheel on the net and said only a few wheels (out of thousands they list) would work. And, that it would require a certain brand that sells a cap spacer.

People now-a-days don't know their butt from a hole in the ground!

Usually that means the VehiCROSS model doesn't show up in their computer, so to save themselves the work of actually doing research, they just discourage you from buying anything altogether. Stupid, but sadly very common it seems.

JHarris1385
12/06/2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah just say Nissan/Toyota truck rims.