PDA

View Full Version : Offroad in sand. VX vs. Jeep CJ-7 ----> VX FTW!

Grif
11/07/2010, 06:55 PM
Took her out offroad for the first time I've owned it. The PO used this VX as his offroader VX, and after nursing her back to relative good health, I took it back to the trails yesterday. Sand is fun.

Here are vids. My bro Scott driving the VX, and his subsequent fail in his CJ-7.

Comments welcome, plz be kind... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9EgDdqyzck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv140VlfPYw

VX FTW!

pbkid
11/07/2010, 07:34 PM
nice! looks like a blast.

i miss playing in my VX... great vehicle to mess around with.

crotchrocket
11/08/2010, 03:17 AM
Nice, you got some kangeroo petrol in there at the begging ? lol

Is that your outer CV's making the clunky/grindy noise on the turns ? :D

Gussie2000
11/08/2010, 07:38 AM
LOL

Didn't even play around and got stuck :p

Time for your bro to get into a VX so that wouldn't happen again :winky:

vt_maverick
11/08/2010, 03:14 PM
So what did he do to get stuck? I assume he lost traction and floored it? Pretty easy to dig yourself a nice hole that way, not to mention burn significant tread off your tires doing it...

Grif
11/08/2010, 04:27 PM
Is that your outer CV's making the clunky/grindy noise on the turns ? :D

I was wondering the same thing actually. I still have a lot of BFH work to do to stop the tires from rubbing, and had hoped thats what I was hearing, but honestly had never heard that clunky sound till that morn. Ive tried to reproduce the sound at will, and cant, it only presents itself on occasion.

Grif
11/08/2010, 06:34 PM
So what did he do to get stuck? I assume he lost traction and floored it? Pretty easy to dig yourself a nice hole that way, not to mention burn significant tread off your tires doing it...

He wasn't in 4WD and was too heavy on the throttle from a stand still. The rear tires started to dig holes, and that was it. When switched over to 4WD, it was too late and the right front began digging too. It was all over at that point.

Lessons have been learned.

vt_maverick
11/08/2010, 07:04 PM
I actually really like the handling of the VX in the sand. I rarely have to take it out of 4H/TOD to drive through some of the deepest stuff out there, although the TOD display lights up like a Christmas tree when you use it. I only use 4L when crossing really deep ruts.

Grif
11/08/2010, 07:17 PM
I actually really like the handling of the VX in the sand. I rarely have to take it out of 4H/TOD to drive through some of the deepest stuff out there, although the TOD display lights up like a Christmas tree when you use it. I only use 4L when crossing really deep ruts.

The VX handled awesome, never even threatened to get stuck that whole day. Unfortunately apparently the CV's felt they were not up to the task.

Is there an easy/simple way to determine myself if indeed my CV's are failing? I knew that sound just didnt belong.

pbkid
11/08/2010, 07:53 PM
look at them... if the boots are cracked and leaking grease then they are shot...

if there is no grease around the boots, then it was probably tire rub.

Grif
11/08/2010, 08:14 PM
Thanks PBK, but I have read here in other threads that the boots can look OK, but the joints still be shot.

Thing is, I just had new CV's put in a year ago, and until last wknd, never took her off road, never really stressed it at all. Surely the CV's arent made of glass.. hehe

crotchrocket
11/09/2010, 02:17 PM
Well im afraid it sounds like mine did. Also, being on the sand, maybe some got into a split in the boot?

I was wondering the same thing actually. I still have a lot of BFH work to do to stop the tires from rubbing, and had hoped thats what I was hearing, but honestly had never heard that clunky sound till that morn. Ive tried to reproduce the sound at will, and cant, it only presents itself on occasion.

Grif
11/09/2010, 06:52 PM
Well im afraid it sounds like mine did. Also, being on the sand, maybe some got into a split in the boot?

You are probably correct. Looks like its time to revert to the ramen diet and rolling my own cigs to save up part $$$.

I'll crawl underneath this weekend and assess the damage. Thanks for your observations CR.