PDA

View Full Version : 89 Trooper RS

Hide
11/10/2010, 03:09 PM
Hi, I found a 5 speed 4WD 89 Trooper RS in really good shape in my area. I am just wondering does the Trooper use same parts as the VX? Is it worth buying the trooper for spare parts?

The reason I want to buy the trooper is because it has a set of 5 isuzu snowflakes on it and the tires still looks really new. I've been looking at buying a new set of tires for my VX. So that will cost me around $1000 or so just for the set of tires... so I figure if I pay a little more I can buy the trooper as spare parts...

But I am hesitant to "take apart" the trooper cus it's in really good shape (from picture).

Any advice would help, thanks.

VX1032
11/10/2010, 05:49 PM
Use the same parts....yes and no, mostly no.

Engine and tranny are different, interior and body different, suspension differnet, frame different, axles....sorta same.

You can use the front and rear differenetial off of the 89 RS, along with the wheels. Everything else is a no go. The differentials are geared at 4.77 versus the stock 4.30 you are runnign so that is an improvement fo acceleration, though a decrease in gas mileage if you put those in. Most people like them if you offroad, and I have them in mine for that very reason, makes up for the increased tire size.

if it was an 93 RS, you would have a lot more in common.

Marlin
11/12/2010, 04:25 AM
Use the same parts....yes and no, mostly no.

Engine and tranny are different, interior and body different, suspension differnet, frame different, axles....sorta same.

You can use the front and rear differenetial off of the 89 RS, along with the wheels. Everything else is a no go. The differentials are geared at 4.77 versus the stock 4.30 you are runnign so that is an improvement fo acceleration, though a decrease in gas mileage if you put those in. Most people like them if you offroad, and I have them in mine for that very reason, makes up for the increased tire size.

if it was an 93 RS, you would have a lot more in common.

True true...the 93 does have a lot of the same parts. Crawling around on the wife's, there are a ton of things that are the same, and some that are much better. Way better seating setup in the RS than the VX. Who needs spacious back seats when you can't even get back there.