PDA

View Full Version : Considering Purchasing a VX, Have a Few ?'s

RedBlur
11/22/2010, 11:16 PM
Hello everyone –

I have recently started looking at getting a Vehicross as a replacement for my 1987 Jeep Cherokee XJ, and I had a few questions. I thought that you folks here would be the best to ask. I searched and found some answers, but the more input the better, so please bear with me. Any questions that you can answer would be extremely appreciated.

First, I’ve seen a lot of VX’s for sale with less than 100K miles and a rebuilt engine. Is there a common problem to be aware of here? It looks like people have problems with them burning oil, is that the only issue? Obviously it depends on the workmanship, but in general do rebuilds seem to last or would it be best to avoid one?

I’m assuming the entire drivetrain is pretty much straight out of a Trooper. It looks like the VX is not rating for towing, but many people do it. It sounds like the short wheelbase is the biggest concern. Does anyone have any experience towing pulling a small to medium sized boat? Are there any reliability issues with transmissions for those that tow? I’d probably end up towing some small toys (jet skis, atvs, up to a small boat) to a lake about an hour and a half a way maybe a dozen times a year. Parts of it are somewhat hilly, but nothing too bad. Any advice with that?

Does the gas mileage really suck as much as I am seeing? (13 city/17 highway) Not a big factor, but just wondering.

Are there any other major problems that would be good to know while looking at them? Particularly with the drivetrain since coming from a 23 year old vehicle I tend not to care about much else.

Oh yea, one last question, are they as badass and as fun as they seem?

Thanks in advance for all your help! Maybe one day I’ll be roaming this forum regularly.

VX KAT
11/22/2010, 11:50 PM
Oh my, there's a ton of info still here for you to read.

OIL - It's a very important issue. It's been described as "consuming" oil, not burning it, i.e. no smoke out the exhaust, and not leaking/dripping. Many of the engine failures have been due to oil starvation/depletion and they throw a rod. Most of us religiously check our oil level at EVERY fill up - NO exceptions. We also change our PCV valve at every oil change, if not more often. The PCV has been found to stick open/malfunctions and contributes to much oil consumption. There's a poll on engine failure you should look up. Also, there's a poll on oil usage in 1000 miles....also very informative, although not scientific of course.

Since this is a group of enthusiasts we recently put together a pretty detailed checklist, very specific to the VX and covers many issues that have arisen over time since the model is basically 10+ yrs old on average.

COMPREHENSIVE VX QUESTIONNAIRE /CHECKLIST FOR BUYERS OR SELLERS
Here's the expanded "New Buyer" or "Seller" checklist:

~Any service history records?

~How long have you owned it?

~Electric windows work properly or bind?

~Condition of window rubber track/gaskets...(many have ripped or been cut)

~Look behind door panels to see if vapor barrier is present - (may indicate previous work on windows)

~Window regulator /motor been replaced?

~SBC brackets ever installed on windows?

~Any oil consumption noted, under ANY conditions? (some seem to consume a little when on prolonged highway driving)

~Chrome wheels peeling? (many peeled on the inner side)

~ABS - Any ABS light problems? Make sure ABS light comes on when key is first turned to ON position. If not, could a problem and / or bulb has been removed. Note, many have disconnected ABS system, or never repaired it when it went out, and truck seems to function fine (just no ABS).

~OEM CD player still work correctly or ERR3 code? Any jammed CDs?

~Any problems with TOD?

~Any clunking when decelerating or accelerating?

~Brand & model of tires & approx tread remaining-

~Do all 4 tires match in brand, size, model, AIR PRESSURE & wear? (TOD system will often make severe clunking noises if all 4 aren't pretty "equal" in all these terms)

~How long have these current 4 tires been on?

~Timing belt changed?

~Original OEM brake pads or replacements?

~Any fluids dripping, ever?

~Last time & what fluids have been changed?

~What type of fluids (synthetic oil or regular, motor oil, diff, tranny, transf case)?

~Evaluate/describe condition of all cladding - scrapes, holes, deformation, dryness, chalky appearance, any evidence of being "painted" in any way?

~Are all cladding screws present? Any striped?

~Condition of 4 screw knobs on inside rear door panel (often break off)

~Condition of inside door opening handle/levers & mechanism (sometimes broken)

~Any unusual /excessive vibrations - very subjective of course

~Any problems with motor mounts?

~Determine the history of the car's physical location, if possible (i.e. East Coast, potential rust, desert sun (UV), etc)

~Inspect thoroughly for rust!!
Any evidence of rusted bolts anywhere?
Is rear gas tank skid plate or tail pipe showing rust?

~Status of front bumper reinforcement bar? (Often rusts off completely)

~Status of rear license plate light/socket/bracket -(often severely rusts) -will give indication if it was in a rust belt area

~Condition of paint - Describe. (fading, chipping, scratches, repainted areas)

~Condition of hood insert - Describe. (very often cracked)

~Condition of plastic headlight housings - any crazing, fogged, cracked, etc...or been restored/polished, etc....(very often cloudy/fogged)

~Rubber headlight gaskets- present at all?, ripped, condition

~Evaluate engine bay- clean? dirty? Any evidence of leaking fluids (old or new) of any type?? Evaluate fluid levels.

~Evaluate air filter- excessively dirty? OEM or after-market?

~Has muffler ever been replaced? What's the status of the current muffler? Rusted, surface rust, etc? OEM, after-market? (Since, as I understand it, these mufflers are no longer available, so an aftermarket one with some modification to the pipes may be required.)

~Has it had to go through emissions testing recently? (Some states require for registration, some don't)

~Ever been lifted or torsion bars cranked?

~Condition of CV joints? (Can be damaged after being lifted)

~Battery- status, condition and age

~Any unusual flashing of any lights on dash or shifter? (Mode selection switch may be bad)

~Any odors inside, such as smoke?

~Condition of leather seats...scrapes, rips, tears, wear, abrasion, driver's side seat bolster

~Condition of center console padded armrest -(very often cracked and split where driver's elbow has rested on it)

~Condition of leather steering wheel - (often heavily scraped up)

~Condition of levers that bring seat back forward to allow access to rear seats (often broken)

~Does it have an OEM roof rack?

~Are OEM rail caps in place and/or available?

~Ever taken off road?

~OEM or after-market tail pipe?

~Status of tail pipe - any deformation may indicate off road use

~Status of rear lower cladding & rear gas tank skid plate- scrapes may indicate off road use

~Status of undercarriage overall - scrapes, damage, etc... may indicate off road use

~Any known repairs?

~Any extra parts on hand?

~Any modifications done previously that have now been removed? Describe.

list last modified: 6/8/10 11:09 am

Does the gas mileage really suck as much as I am seeing? (13 city/17 highway) Not a big factor, but just wondering.

SUX with a capital "S". Some get as low as 11, some occasionally get high teens, maybe even a few in the low 20s. Obviously there are various factors....like I've made mine into a flying brick as far as aerodynamics with a roof rack, full size spare on roof, then added a good amount of extra weight...150 lbs of steel skid plates, etc... so I'm thrilled if I hit 16 highway, going downhill, with the wind to my back...:laugho: But I have a damn good time when I'm drivin' it so it's all worth it to me! :thumbup:

OH YEAH!!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

tom4bren
11/23/2010, 04:21 AM
Red,

Personally I think the VX works quite well for towing (except for that one incident where I was towing a utility trailer in rush hour traffic).

I regularly tow either a twin pack of SeaDoos or a SeaDoo Sportster.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/100_2665.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/100_2664.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/100_2663.JPG

Mile High VX
11/23/2010, 06:08 AM
Hello everyone –

Are there any other major problems that would be good to know while looking at them? Particularly with the drivetrain since coming from a 23 year old vehicle I tend not to care about much else.

Thanks in advance for all your help! Maybe one day I’ll be roaming this forum regularly.

Gas mileage will not be your friend, but it's worth it. I get about 16 mpg combined, but it's mostly freeway driving with a small amount in town. If I only drive it town then 13 mpg is more realistic.

No real issues with the drivetrain. Most of the known issues are window function, factory CD changer, the oil usage already mentioned (not as much of an issue with '00 and '01), chrome peeling on factory rims, and the ABS system going out.

The answer to your last question is ABSOLUTELY!

RedBlur
11/23/2010, 06:43 AM
Awesome, thank you for each of your replies!

VX KAT - I appreciate the buyer checklist. I didn't find that one in my searches. I did read through most of the engine failure poll, I'll look for the oil consumption poll. If anyone out there has had positive/negative experience with a rebuild, I'd be interested in knowing!

Tom - thanks for the pics, your VX looks awesome towing that seadoo!! That's about what I would probably end up towing, so it's good to know you haven't had any problems.

Mile High - thanks for the info, a lot of those are issues I don't care about (my windows don't really work on the XJ, I take my door apart regularly, and it looks to be a pretty easy single DIN radio install if that goes bad). I'd be thrilled just to have power door locks that work reliably on every door. But the ABS is good to know about, I'll be sure to check into that.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Mile High VX
11/23/2010, 06:49 AM
No problem.

You'll find a great group of guys and gals here that are ready, willing, and mostly able to help. It's one of the reasons that I bought my VX...having a group of experts to help when needed and laugh at your expense often...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

I lived in KY back in the late 80's in Radcliff and Ekron. Still one of the places that I've lived that I would move back to.

Good luck with the search and don't hesitate to ask questions.

circmand
11/23/2010, 07:11 AM
Hello everyone –

First, I’ve seen a lot of VX’s for sale with less than 100K miles and a rebuilt engine. Is there a common problem to be aware of here? It looks like people have problems with them burning oil, is that the only issue? Obviously it depends on the workmanship, but in general do rebuilds seem to last or would it be best to avoid one?.

Some motors mostly 1999 used a ton of oil it got better in 2000 & 2001. I think any vehicles with issues have been solved by now but always check your oil and change your PCV valve. Also make sure the engine replacement was another 3.5.

.[/QUOTE]
I’m assuming the entire drivetrain is pretty much straight out of a Trooper. It looks like the VX is not rating for towing, but many people do it. It sounds like the short wheelbase is the biggest concern. Does anyone have any experience towing pulling a small to medium sized boat? Are there any reliability issues with transmissions for those that tow? I’d probably end up towing some small toys (jet skis, atvs, up to a small boat) to a lake about an hour and a half a way maybe a dozen times a year. Parts of it are somewhat hilly, but nothing too bad. Any advice with that?.[/QUOTE]

I beleive our drivetrain is similar but not a direct swap due to the shorter wheelbase. Many parts used in the VX are from the Trooper except for body parts.

.[/QUOTE]Does the gas mileage really suck as much as I am seeing? (13 city/17 highway) Not a big factor, but just wondering..[/QUOTE]

Yes considering the weight you wont be getting any EPA awards

.[/QUOTE]Are there any other major problems that would be good to know while looking at them? Particularly with the drivetrain since coming from a 23 year old vehicle I tend not to care about much else..[/QUOTE]

The oil consumption is the main thing but with proper maintainance you should not have a problem

.[/QUOTE]Oh yea, one last question, are they as badass and as fun as they seem?.[/QUOTE]

HELL YEAH

.[/QUOTE]Thanks in advance for all your help! Maybe one day I’ll be roaming this forum regularly.[/QUOTE]

You will find a good group here but some good advice we like to joke around and have a little fun with each other. Straight out stupid statements may be answered with less political correctness than our society may wish. Don't take it personnaly and feel free to partake as well.

vt_maverick
11/23/2010, 09:06 AM
^ Quote fail. ;)

Mileage really seems to vary from vehicle to vehicle, I usually get around 17 mpg but that's because my daily commute is 90% interstate. I would say VX's in general don't have an abnormal amount of mechanical problems for a 10 year old vehicle. Just stay aggressive with fluid changes and preventative maintenance (especially checking/changing the oil) and you should be okay. Blowing an engine or transmission is inevitable on any vehicle, but those activities will help stave it off as long as possible.

Might want to check out this thread, seems like we do this "should I buy a VX?" thread at least once or twice a month, so you may find some enlightening discussion there as well. :thumbup:

want to get one (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19066&highlight=questions)

tom4bren
11/23/2010, 09:56 AM
Tom - thanks for the pics, your VX looks awesome towing that seadoo!! That's about what I would probably end up towing, so it's good to know you haven't had any problems.

Thanks.

I didn't say I haven't had any problems ... just not with the boat or skis:)

Read this thread for the worst 4.3 seconds of my life.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18062&highlight=offset+saved

RedBlur
11/23/2010, 10:00 PM
Wow, thanks again to everyone for the great info. It definitely seems to be a great forum around here. I feel like I am armed with plenty of info now, so the fun part of searching comes next.

Tom, that is an absolutely crazy story. Glad to see that you made it out of there with nothing more than mechanical damage, a dent in your wallet and some incredible pictures.

Mile High, the lake that my friend and I own a cabin on is Rough River Lake if you ever made it out that way. I'm not the biggest fan of Louisville (I'm a transplant from Chicago), but the area around Fort Knox and by the lakes is pretty amazing. Definitely one of the main reasons I've stayed in the state as long as I have. Of course, actually having a job in this economy is another good reason not to move.