PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question... Would you recommend the VX for a long distance Camper Pull Rig?

toast018
11/29/2010, 07:55 PM
I ask because starting next year I will be pulling a camper out west and then who knows. lol... I ask because you guys know the VX inside and out. I love my truck... one of my Fav vehicles ever. Wanted one since I was 15.
But would I be better off to sell the rig and buy a Jeep Cherokee or Diesel truck to do the pulling.

I will be pulling an 18ft camper. I know fuel mileage would suffer ALOT with me luggin that around. and i'm not sure if the tranny would like it either.

I use my VX currently for my DD to and from work (1 hr each way) and get on average 17.2 MPG (75% HWY)

Didnt realize it was 10pm I will log in tomorrow to answer and questions... or ask more... lol... :)

tom4bren
11/30/2010, 05:02 AM
I don't think that the VX is the best choice for your application. I regularly tow a 15 foot SeaDoo boat with mine with no problems, but ...

Towing that large of a 'box' behind the VX will probably cause the 'tail wagging the dog' syndrom. If you do this, make sure you have a good set of road tires that have good tracking characteristics.

I know that etlsport towed a fairly large U-Haul trailer with his with no problems so you may want to send him a PM to see if he can give you any tips.

I assume that your trailer has 'lectric brakes. Make sure you get that set up by a reputable person because our brakes are fine for regular use but prolly aren't enough for major towing. Upgrading to Stainless Steel brakelines would be a good investment as well.

Marlin
11/30/2010, 05:39 AM
I don't think that the VX is the best choice for your application. I regularly tow a 15 foot SeaDoo boat with mine with no problems, but ...

Towing that large of a 'box' behind the VX will probably cause the 'tail wagging the dog' syndrom. If you do this, make sure you have a good set of road tires that have good tracking characteristics.

I know that etlsport towed a fairly large U-Haul trailer with his with no problems so you may want to send him a PM to see if he can give you any tips.

I assume that your trailer has 'lectric brakes. Make sure you get that set up by a reputable person because our brakes are fine for regular use but prolly aren't enough for major towing. Upgrading to Stainless Steel brakelines would be a good investment as well.

x2, but I am not sure how you could possibly group Jeep Cherokee and a diesel truck in to the same category? The VX will do fine for short distance towing, but a camper would be too much over any significant distance, and you would eat your tranny. but if you do it , I would upgrade to crossdrilled rotors, SS brake lines, and EBC green stuff pads.
You will also have to get a curt style hitch...I don't think the tone hitch will work for that since it doesn't bolt to the frame.

toast018
11/30/2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys that's awhat I needed to know... I hate to sell my baby but its looking likei have no choice... :(

Mile High VX
11/30/2010, 01:42 PM
If you decide to sell be sure to complete the indepth questionaire in the for sale section and post plenty of pictures.

Good luck in whatever you decide is best for you.

toast018
11/30/2010, 01:51 PM
o yes no doubt. I will get several pictures. :)

I got a few things on it that need fixing before I sell it though. the fiberglass insert on the hood has to be reattached and i am going to paint the cladding with the gator spray that (cant remember the name) used on his rig. looked awesome! and get the fluids changed. Dont want to sell it to someone just to have them do it.... lol...

I really hate to part with it. I love the people that walk up to me and ask about it and the looks they give when I tell them its an 01 not a 10 lol...

pbkid
11/30/2010, 10:37 PM
ya, i was just kinda wondering how you grouped a diesel truck and a cherokee into the same group....

a cherokee would never even get close to pulling like that diesel would.

RamAirZ
11/30/2010, 10:51 PM
I towed the Mustang about 300 miles with mine at about 65 the whole way with no issues

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/20100802211658.jpg

toast018
12/01/2010, 08:38 AM
ya, i was just kinda wondering how you grouped a diesel truck and a cherokee into the same group....

a cherokee would never even get close to pulling like that diesel would.

I know a the cherokee would not pull like to diesel but owning one before I know it wouldnt mind it. at all... unless it was an automatic... then i dunno about it. lol...
I prob am getting a diesel powerstroke after the VX is sold. for the power and the fuel economy. (with programmer) may trade if I find someone willing to. :)

Doomer
12/01/2010, 12:41 PM
I routinely pull a light 8' trailer with my motorcycle on it up through Arkansas & Texas hill country. See avatar. Went from DFW to Birmingham AL (Barber) & back this year with 2 bikes, 2 people and all the gear, probably about 1000# on trailer & another 200# in VX. Drove through a BIG thunderstorm on I-20 and the VX pulled like a champ. I am just careful not to push it too hard. I am seriously debating a small 12' toy hauler, only 2300#, made for V6 SUVs. Hmmmm....

vt_maverick
12/01/2010, 12:46 PM
See avatar.

:confused: Maybe your site membership ran out?