PDA

View Full Version : Engine problems and solutions thread

atilla_the_fun
12/20/2010, 01:43 PM
Hi guys,
It seems like every week someone comes by and posts about a knocking noise they hear is coming from their VX 3.5L engine. It not only makes me angry at ISUZU for their design problems, but also reminds me of how nervous our oil-engine failure issue can make me. I love the VX, it really is the perfect vehicle for me right now and I would never think of selling it.

I'm starting this thread so we can build to a possible solution for our problems.

I need some information from you guys - I've been reading as much as I can online and have come across the three different engine model letters A,B,C. Do these letters also apply to the VX? Are there really these three models?

Also, can anyone who has had an engine failure please post their VIN numbers here, and also your engine serial number if you have it. (for either new engine, old engine or both). I would like data from all 6VE1s, not just our VXs
I understand that polls are all the rage, but I want concrete data that we can possibly use to diagnose our issues.

I also want to know about the Acura SLX 3.5L 6VE1. I have read in one place (only!) that Honda re-engineered the heads on this engine. How can we confirm this? I have not found the same kind of negative reliability reports for the SLX that exist for the trooper or VX. Do the SLX suffer from the same issues?

Please post here, I will combine and parse any data that I get.
Thanks guys - your input is both necessary and appreciated!

hughesdt
01/14/2011, 02:13 PM
I have been away for a while. My 99VX suffered the oil consumption/ spun rod bearing fate at 124k. Vin is 515. Might be able to get the motor number, I know I took a picture of it. I rebuilt it my self and had the transmission and transfercase also rebuilt. Took me 4 years or so but I am back as of Tuesday, 1-11-11. Super chargered at about 50k, reinstalled the super charger. Great to be driving the VX again!

Dan

vt_maverick
01/15/2011, 12:14 PM
Wow Dan, good to hear you got back up and running. I can't imagine having a SC'd VX and having to let it sit for 4 years! :eek: