PDA

View Full Version : Check your roof racks for surface rust.

Ebenezr
01/03/2011, 04:19 PM
Several weeks ago I was checking my roof out on the VX and noticed significant rust at 3 places along my rood rack. At one spot it is all the way through 1/8 inch wide. Rust usually forms in the same place on models. I will have to take this bull by the horns but I'm not sure how. Probably remove the entire rack and run a fiberglass strip down then paint and replace the rack. It is very discouraging. For the moment I am embarassed to say I grabbed household calk and covered it - just to keep rain out for now. If anyone has any experience with this one - please chime in. :(

Triathlete
01/03/2011, 05:03 PM
Ah, the advantages of living and owning a VX that has spent its entire life in the dry hot desert!:bwgy:
Good luck with the de rusting process.

tjh
01/03/2011, 06:24 PM
There is some bubbling under my roof rail . Maybe I'll get it fixed this year .

VehiX
01/03/2011, 07:56 PM
I've got a small hole back by the spoiler on the drivers side. Notice it was rusting and decided to put my finger through it to see how bad it really was :_wtf:

Some body work is in order.:smack:

If any of you have any tips regarding the best way to resolve this matter. That'd be great :)

etlsport
01/03/2011, 10:41 PM
Yea when my windshield frame rusted I had them remove the rail covers and just sand, prime and paint the entire roof because of a a bit of that.. My roof was a mess! All gravy now though