PDA

View Full Version : Troubled vx for sale what should i do?

chance03
01/11/2011, 08:12 PM
Hey all, new to the vx world. Ive wanted one since the day i first saw them and now have an opportunity. here is the deal. this thing is a little beat up. its got a little dent on the front passenger quarter panel and corner near headlight. huge scratch along same side which is wrippling the paint. hood panel looks like its cracking a little too. interior is in good condition. just has no stereo. the passenger side window does not roll down and the hood latch is broken so you need 2 people (one to pull the cord one to lift up on the hood) to open it. now for the BAD stuff haha.... its got 225K on the clock and the tranny is slipping when going from 2nd to 3rd about every 5th time. The guy has owned it for 150k and never had any work done to the engine or transmission. So i know what your thinking. why the heck would you even consider this.... well he is desperate and i talked him down to $1500...... i know from doing searches on here that a new or rebuilt tranny will be about 3-4k. considering all the car needs im even a little weary paying $1,500. what does everyone think????? any help would be greatly appreciated.

circmand
01/11/2011, 08:15 PM
Hey all, new to the vx world. Ive wanted one since the day i first saw them and now have an opportunity. here is the deal. this thing is a little beat up. its got a little dent on the front passenger quarter panel and corner near headlight. huge scratch along same side which is wrippling the paint. hood panel looks like its cracking a little too. interior is in good condition. just has no stereo. the passenger side window does not roll down and the hood latch is broken so you need 2 people (one to pull the cord one to lift up on the hood) to open it. now for the BAD stuff haha.... its got 225K on the clock and the tranny is slipping when going from 2nd to 3rd about every 5th time. The guy has owned it for 150k and never had any work done to the engine or transmission. So i know what your thinking. why the heck would you even consider this.... well he is desperate and i talked him down to $1500...... i know from doing searches on here that a new or rebuilt tranny will be about 3-4k. considering all the car needs im even a little weary paying $1,500. what does everyone think????? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Save it for parts for when you get a decent VX because that is all this is good for.

Y33TREKker
01/11/2011, 08:25 PM
I think the User ID you chose says a lot. At $1500, it'd be worth a chance. It's possible the trans is slipping because it just needs a new filter and oil change. Maybe not, but is it worth a chance that's all it is for $1500? You could always ask the guy to get it serviced to see if that's all it is, but if that solves the problem, up goes the price.

Repairing and repainting the damaged panels would require some coin, but there are alternatives for that too. They DO make Rhino lining in yellow now don't they? Wouldn't be the first time someone's done an entire VX in the stuff anyway.

Everything else seems relatively minor, but in the end, it just depends on what kind of chance you feel comfortable taking on this one.

Whatever you decide, welcome to the obsession.

VXjunky
01/11/2011, 09:14 PM
got some pics?
....me be the cheapest man alive id offer less...but 1500 seems youd get more than that back parting it out

chance03
01/11/2011, 09:23 PM
no pics, and im really not concerned about what it looks like, just putting that in there. but i have considered rhino lining it. It's just going to be a toy, not a daily driver. i would love to just have it to take to moab ( i live in colorado) but am concerned about the 4hr drive to and from. The 4x4 high and low works fine and 1st and 2nd gear are fine also. Would i be able to do some crawling with that going on???

VXorado
01/11/2011, 09:51 PM
no pics, and im really not concerned about what it looks like, just putting that in there. but i have considered rhino lining it. It's just going to be a toy, not a daily driver. i would love to just have it to take to moab ( i live in colorado) but am concerned about the 4hr drive to and from. The 4x4 high and low works fine and 1st and 2nd gear are fine also. Would i be able to do some crawling with that going on???

If you're going to 4 wheel any vehicle, it needs to be in good working condition. Trails here in CO or Moab can be pretty hard on a vehicle's drivetrain especially when the temperature goes up. You don't want the tranny going out on a trail or be the guy who keeps breaking down.

Its a good deal but I would plan on putting some money into a new tranny at least before building it for trails.

Let us know how it goes, I'll be in Denver Friday/Saturday if you want another opinion.

vt_maverick
01/12/2011, 07:39 AM
Personally I'd walk away and look for something in better shape (probably at more of the $4-6K range). Keep in mind that while you can borrow that much at a reasonable APR in a vehicle loan, you likely CANNOT finance a new engine, transmission, body work, etc. on anything other than a high APR credit card.

Body dings and paint problems are one thing, problematic drivetrains are another. Again, just my $.02.

Gussie2000
01/12/2011, 07:55 AM
Personally i wouldn't take it.
To spend all that money to get it up and running as it should just doesn't make sense.

I understand this VX wouldn't be your DD so unless you're planning this to be a medium to long proyect rebuilt VX i would rather spend that cash on another one

circmand
01/12/2011, 12:46 PM
got some pics?
....me be the cheapest man alive id offer less...but 1500 seems youd get more than that back parting it out

But by the time you buy it pay taxes pay for shipping and put time in cleaning it taking it apart take pics and post it piece by piece on ebay and run around packing and shipping is it worth it?

I gathered the guy wants to buy one to drive not go in business selling parts.

tom4bren
01/12/2011, 01:02 PM
C'mon folks ... it's a Proton. That's worth saving regarless of condition.

Buy it Dude & make her all pretty again.

VXjunky
01/12/2011, 01:12 PM
and me having a proton...i was thinking, if id fallen into that opp...many parts for my own dang self... id have jumped on it...wish in one hand, _ _ _ _ in the other, see which fills up first

chance03
01/12/2011, 10:58 PM
thanks for all the input... i think im gonna pass... i just dont think its gonna be worth all the headache! if anyone IS interested though ill pass along the info. Its in denver colorado

tom4bren
01/13/2011, 05:33 AM
... but I would plan on putting some money into a new tranny at least before building it for trails.

Personally I'd walk away and look for something in better shape ...

Personally i wouldn't take it.

All Y'all should hang yer head in shame ... Ya skeer'd him away. Now another VX may end up crushed.

As repentance you must now group buy that VX and part it out for the rest of us.

VXorado
01/13/2011, 05:50 AM
All Y'all should hang yer head in shame ... Ya skeer'd him away. Now another VX may end up crushed.

As repentance you must now group buy that VX and part it out for the rest of us.

Yeah yeah, the truth hurts :p, I didn't actually say "don't buy it"

Actually, I sent Chance a post about the VX. I want to go check it out this weekend with intentions to buy it for community parts. We'll see :bwgy:

CoastieCosta567
01/13/2011, 06:38 AM
I would buy it, if you can afford the costs, I hate to see another Fellow VX go to scraps :angel:. But if you just can't, wash your hands and find her another good hands to carry her to safety. If not, her OIL is now in your hands. :flame::rotate::laughing::rotate::flame:.

circmand
01/13/2011, 06:49 AM
but better than steering a member into a ditch this could be as a result of poor maintanence

Y33TREKker
01/13/2011, 07:28 AM
True, but chance had said the intention if purchased was to turn it into a toy, not necessarily a daily driver; not concerned so much about looks, etc. And while it was said the previous owner hadn't had anything worked on, it wasn't said that general maintenance had been neglected. Just saying that some specifics weren't given making it difficult to say how rough that 225k on the odometer may have been. It can't have been neglected THAT much if it's made it that far anyway.

vt_maverick
01/13/2011, 07:52 AM
True, but chance had said the intention if purchased was to turn it into a toy, not necessarily a daily driver; not concerned so much about looks, etc. And while it was said the previous owner hadn't had anything worked on, it wasn't said that general maintenance had been neglected. Just saying that some specifics weren't given making it difficult to say how rough that 225k on the odometer may have been. It can't have been neglected THAT much if it's made it that far anyway.

I'm more worried about that last 5-10K than the first 220. Most importantly, how long was it driven with these tranny issues?

And Tom I know, I know, it's always sad to see another one headed to the scrap yard. But hopefully someone with deep pockets will come along that doesn't have any hesitation about such a purchase. There's something to be said for the fact that he's even asking for our opinion; sometimes people do that to have a reason to walk away from something they already have a bad feeling about.

Not to put words in chance's mouth though. :o

chance03
01/13/2011, 09:36 AM
you actually hit the nail on the head..... ive had a bad feeling about it since day 1 and was looking for someone to tell me not to buy it. ive seen so many other ones out there with half the miles and in good condition for less than what i would have to pay to get this one to that condition. $1500 just seems so tempting for such a rare car. This kid is desperate. he was asking 4K then 3K then i threw that LOOOOW number at him and he bit. im sure at that price he will have no problem at all getting rid of it either to someone in this family for parts or someone who has no idea what they are getting themselves into.

nfpgasmask
01/13/2011, 10:08 AM
Save it for parts for when you get a decent VX because that is all this is good for.

x2. Sounds like a great parts rig. Where is it located? If I could find a VX for this price, I would buy it and tear off everything I think I would need in the future and ditch the rest.

That said, I WOULD not buy this VX and attempt to fix it. There are plenty of better choices out there for what you have to invest in this one to bring it back to life.

Bart

VXjunky
01/13/2011, 11:17 AM
perhaps Chance...you can either get some pics...or post the owners contact info.......... or both

vt_maverick
01/13/2011, 12:10 PM
...$1500 just seems so tempting for such a rare car...

The truth, and a lot of people on the site might disagree, is that our trucks really aren't THAT rare just yet. Decent to good examples in nearly every color pop up somewhere on the net every day (evidenced by the many threads posted here). So don't let the "rarity" factor drive you to buy something in a hurry; be patient and you'll be MUCH happier with your eventual purchase.

chance03
01/14/2011, 09:05 AM
Here is the link.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2126445989.html

also just throwing it out there..... im free the next 3 weeks and would be willing to drive it anywhere you need it for the price of gas and transportation back to denver.

VXjunky
01/14/2011, 09:11 AM
FYI Chance theres a $850 tranny on ebay

chance03
01/14/2011, 09:59 AM
ive found $500 ones but getting them to me plus the install is what cost so much... ive talked him down again but now it needs 2 new tires.. sooo kinda offsets it. I think if i can get him down to a grand ill jump.....

VXjunky
01/14/2011, 10:02 AM
oh HELL YEAH....i like just staring at your potential vx...i requested more pics from the guy....ill offer him 800 for you then he'll think your 1000 sounds like a deal

chance03
01/14/2011, 10:08 AM
do it and tell me when.... then ill drop the bomb on him

Mile High VX
01/14/2011, 10:15 AM
oh HELL YEAH....i like just staring at your potential vx...i requested more pics from the guy....ill offer him 800 for you then he'll think your 1000 sounds like a deal

What are you gonna do if he takes your $800?

VXjunky
01/14/2011, 10:19 AM
cross that bridge when we come to it...id take it for $800 though..id give chance 1st dibs

VXjunky
01/14/2011, 10:22 AM
OK... sent my offer to the guy

VXjunky
01/14/2011, 10:33 AM
sorry...getting an error message, saying my emails arent getting to the guy

chance03
01/14/2011, 10:36 AM
hmm thanks for trying.... ive just been texting him... looking for some replacement tires and thought i would just go for all 4. whats the biggest i could do for stock height? ive searched around and everyone talks about lifted vx's or 16's these are 18's im thinking 265/60???

VXjunky
01/14/2011, 10:52 AM
no luck with the phone number provided

Mile High VX
01/14/2011, 10:55 AM
hmm thanks for trying.... ive just been texting him... looking for some replacement tires and thought i would just go for all 4. whats the biggest i could do for stock height? ive searched around and everyone talks about lifted vx's or 16's these are 18's im thinking 265/60???

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=18760&highlight=biggest+tire

chance03
01/14/2011, 11:07 AM
again.... thats with a lift

Mile High VX
01/14/2011, 11:32 AM
again.... thats with a lift

No lift...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=856&highlight=biggest+tire+stock

chance03
01/14/2011, 11:43 AM
perfect thanks :)

VXjunky
01/14/2011, 12:06 PM
mine got Michelin CrossTerrains p255/70-18......not loud...good-ish in snow at 40mph

JAMAS
01/14/2011, 12:19 PM
I have GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armor A/T - 265/60R18 Stock height. My newer rims required a little bit of cladding trimming for these tires to be good.

GREAT tire!

Low speeds, high speeds, snow, etc, etc, etc.

chance03
01/14/2011, 04:19 PM
$1,200 was his lowest price.... anyone wants it hit him up asap before i change my mind haha... and again. if you want i will go pick it up for you.

circmand
01/14/2011, 08:28 PM
is a killer deal.

But I just checked the post is gone maybe sold?

VXjunky
01/14/2011, 09:47 PM
ok...i got an email to go thru to the guy and told him id take it....im awaiting his response...thanks Chance, good job...perhaps i'll require more of your assistance , john

VXorado
01/14/2011, 10:17 PM
ok...i got an email to go thru to the guy and told him id take it....im awaiting his response...thanks Chance, good job...perhaps i'll require more of your assistance , john

It may be sold. I've also been talking to the seller, got his name/number after Chance said he would pass on it. The seller said he was having someone come by today to check it out and since the ad is gone, i'm guessing it is sold. I'll talk with the seller tomorrow to veify and post on the thread. Its a great deal but seems like a a lot of work if you try to keep it as a daily driver.

VXorado
01/15/2011, 02:33 PM
Seller still had the VX this morning. I was hoping to check it out and get some pics while I was driving through Denver but it didn't work out. All you VXjunky, scoop it up!

VXjunky
01/15/2011, 02:38 PM
he's not responding...doesnt answer the phone (goes to fax squeal)...and doesnt respond to emails....bein in california...need some kinda word from the guy....thanks VXorado....gets another "Darn"

VXorado
01/15/2011, 02:40 PM
Do you have the right #? I've talked to him everytime i've called, talked to him 3 hrs ago.

From his craigslist ad:

VXjunky
01/15/2011, 02:54 PM
i'll try again then...thanks

VXjunky
01/15/2011, 03:00 PM
thanks VXorado...just spoke to the gent....says he sold it for his asking price of $1900....my wifey gave a sigh of relief !....

Mile High VX
01/15/2011, 04:11 PM
Anybody think it would be a good idea to start a Thread on VXs with known issues that we find for sale?

We could use the color and last 4 digits as the Thread Topic for easy searching.

I can't help but think that some of these are going to get "spruced up" and listed again someplace else and eventually someone is going to get hosed!

Just a thought.

vt_maverick
01/15/2011, 05:14 PM
I don't know that we need to start a thread dedicated to VX's with issues, but I do agree that posting the year, color, and especially VIN (full if we can get it) of any for sale / wrecked VX that we find would make it much easier to search for that vehicle later. Those members who are lucky enough to have a PO register on this site have a great resource for researching their own vehicle that most of us don't.

Mile High VX
01/15/2011, 05:58 PM
Those members who are lucky enough to have a PO register on this site have a great resource for researching their own vehicle that most of us don't.

That's one of the things that helped me decide on the Dragon instead of the Foxfire...Three of the four POs were all on this site and I could clearly see the VX history, mods, etc. It was very useful indeed.

Mile High VX
01/16/2011, 09:44 AM
Showed up on CL today in Pueblo...for $2,500

http://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/2160952971.html

circmand
01/16/2011, 11:01 AM
Showed up on CL today in Pueblo...for $2,500

http://pueblo.craigslist.org/cto/2160952971.html

same explanation same phone number so it isnt even someone else using the pic.

VXjunky
01/16/2011, 12:12 PM
_____""" RED FLAG """_____ ......... what happened to 1200 bucks, hell what happened to 1500 & 1900.... guy lied...dont trust him, dont want it

hughesdt
01/17/2011, 10:29 AM
Went by and looked at it when the people from Pueblo where there. Had a funny feeling, pretty much just walked away. It is in rougher shape then described, its a used car. The interior, far from perfect condition, and very dirty. I didn't look to closely at the back seats; both fronts are torn and cracked as is the center counsel pad. Steering wheel had a cover so didn't see what it looked like. All the cladding has been painted a silvery color and is coming off in a lot of places, suspect that something bumped in to the cladding in theses places. The front cladding is broken at the hood with holes on the right corner where the body damage is. From the picture looks like the hood aligns well with the dented fender, but in person doesn't look good at all. For 225k is the engine sounded pretty good, I saw the people from Pueblo drive it away later on. The underside also showed no signs of being off road, with original shocks. For $1500 I would have picked it up, but like what was mentioned earlier, bad feelings from the time I got out of my VX at his house. Didn't get a chance to look under the hood, or in the back, wasn't too interested in sticking around for fear I might do something I'd regret later, I really wanted it.

hughesdt
01/17/2011, 10:31 AM
Oh, and one more interesting note; I was there Saturday the 15th looking at it in Denver. It was listed in Pueblo the 14th...

vt_maverick
01/17/2011, 10:52 AM
Sounds like it might not have even made much of a parts truck with all the damage to the most valuable pieces (body panels, cladding, etc.).