PDA

View Full Version : Paracord/survival projects

Marlin
01/17/2011, 11:52 AM
I recently obtained a few hundred feet of 550 cord. Did some online research, and now I am about 60% complete on a Portuguese Double Sinnet weave belt. It takes forever, but pretty neat. A 38" belt will use about 100 feet or so of cord. I also made a rifle sling, about 80 feet of cord. Next project is to figure out how to do the Slatts knot. Very cool, but hard to do with paracord. I need some more practice before I get to that level.
I will post pics of belt when I finish.
Anyone else ever do any paracord projects?

Triathlete
01/17/2011, 12:29 PM
So now your taking up crocheting?:bwgy:

Marlin
01/17/2011, 12:53 PM
YUP!!! Not much left do with the VX and RS, so I have lots of free time. I am on this survival kick right now, you should see our walk in closet, looks like a bunker. LOL. I talked some guys at work to go to Uwharrie and hike the trails with me. No trucks allowed until april. I think I am going to be surprised how big those obstacles are when tackled on foot.
We are all testing our B.O.B.s. I got a paracord bracelet as a gift, and thought, hey, why can't I do that? It gives me a cheap, time consuming, and very rewarding time killer. Strangely enough, my arms and back are sore from doing it, I am using muscles that wouldn't normally be used!
Pics soon, I am almost done.

Marlin
01/17/2011, 01:32 PM
Here are the pics, I just finished. I decided to weave in the nite-ize S-biner for another survival device. Those things are incredible convenient. If I need to use it, I can just pull it out, use the belt as a conventional notch type belt. Good thing about this weave, it does have some elasticity to it,and I can unweave sections as needed without taking away the function of the belt. Total length was just over 96 feet of line.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP16941.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP16951.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMGP1696.JPG

Triathlete
01/17/2011, 02:09 PM
Talk the navy into sending you to SEAR school! Tons of fun...of course I saw it from the other side as an aggresser!:happyface

Marlin
01/17/2011, 02:37 PM
Talk the navy into sending you to SEAR school! Tons of fun...of course I saw it from the other side as an aggresser!:happyface

All the cool navy programs are NNNA -Nukes need not apply, they are afraid we will get hurt, and we are way too expensive to be doing funs stuff like that:)

I forgot to mention, that belt took me 4-5 hours to make from start to finish. I just ordered some SS D rings, gonna think of some new projects that are practical, yet creative. I know there are a ton of sites out there, but I prefer to think of it myself and get that Eureka! moment. Then I will find some site that has 10 better ways to do it. Next weave is to practice the Slatt knot. Something alluring about pulling one strand and having 100 feet of line in seconds with no unknotting!!!!! It is a huge PITA to get started. Need to work with something bigger than paracord until I get the hang of it I think.

Triathlete
01/17/2011, 04:14 PM
Yea...but what if you nuke heads get captured?:bwgy:

Marlin
01/17/2011, 04:32 PM
Yea...but what if you nuke heads get captured?:bwgy:

Ummm, I have intelligence +15 and charisma -5. I need a 17 or higher on a 20 sided die, and I am safe. LOL, that is the stereotype we have anyway. No way for us to get caught, we work below the water line of the ship...waaaayyyy below the water line.

Cobrajet
01/17/2011, 05:47 PM
Talk the navy into sending you to SEAR school! Tons of fun...of course I saw it from the other side as an aggresser!:happyfaceI remember YOU!!!

This is all they taught me to create. (Hey, it's a FORK!!)

http://home.comcast.net/~gregg.north/SERE_fork.jpg

Survival
Evasion
Resistance
Escape

Been there...done that!

Triathlete
01/17/2011, 05:53 PM
You were about 10 years before me so it must have been some other guy that tortured you :)

Ldub
01/17/2011, 05:58 PM
I remember YOU!!!

This is all they taught me to create. (Hey, it's a FORK!!)

http://home.comcast.net/~gregg.north/SERE_fork.jpg

Survival
Evasion
Resistance
Escape

Been there...done that!

You were about 10 years before me so it must have been some other guy that tortured you :)

Who you kidd'n...with a fork of that magnitude you could EASILY overthrow (or at least, evade) any nasty dictatorship the world has ever seen...:laughing:

Or maybe just eat beans...:_confused

Marlin
01/17/2011, 06:19 PM
Actually, that was the invention of the fork, my dad got one....he was in junior high:)

On a more serious note, if I was in a survival scenario, a fork would be the least of my worries, somewhere just after the jacuzzi.

vt_maverick
01/17/2011, 07:44 PM
So I'm curious... did you guys get to keep a rabbit too back in the day?

tom4bren
01/18/2011, 05:48 AM
Anyone else ever do any paracord projects?

I 'inherited' a boatload of 550 cord years ago. It was a rather large trashcan full of the largest rats nest of rope you've ever seen. It took me 4-5 hours to untangle and neatly wrap.

Woe is me ... it was all used up years ago. Best stuff ever to have laying around.

Cobrajet
01/18/2011, 08:44 AM
So I'm curious... did you guys get to keep a rabbit too back in the day?
There was almost no edible vegetation or animals left in the area where we trained (San Diego), so the instructors had to bring in a couple rabbits to feed us. Rabbit stew with weeds...yummy!! I didn't want to fight over the good parts, so I settled for the brains and eyes!

Survival training?? I think I got more survival training in the Cub Scouts!

Triathlete
01/18/2011, 01:34 PM
No rabbits in SD? Wow. When we were at the range at Pendleton ('82) they were everywhere. As a matter of fact the chow hall used to serve it as "chicken"!:yesy:

I played SERE aggresser in the swampy forrest of North Carolina (Cherry Pt.).

vt_maverick
01/18/2011, 02:41 PM
My friends in the AF said they were given a rabbit to keep as a pet for a week before eating it. They were required to feed it, water it, heck even name it, the idea being that anyone who might be inclined to feel sorry or affectionate for the animal would lose all that during the process.

These same friends told me that during their training they actually wandered into a national park and came upon some vacationers eating at a picnic table. I guess they figured they could cheat the system by asking them for food, but when they told the guy why they were hungry he refused to give them food without making them work for it. Supposedly this guy took his camping shovel out in the woods, dug a hole, buried a bunch of food, then pointed them in the general direction before driving off. Not sure whether that's patriotic or just cruel... :confused: :D