PDA

View Full Version : Drool cup time!

paultvx
09/10/2003, 03:16 PM
The downside of living in the US... check out this MG.

http://www.mg-sportcars.co.uk/XPOWER/images/new%20pic%20SV3.jpg

more here... along with a somewhat lame video

http://www.mg-sportcars.co.uk/MG_SV_Gallery.htm

IsuZOOM
09/11/2003, 09:39 AM
Looks like a plastic kit car, with all those scoops and louvers.

Dallas4u
09/11/2003, 09:45 AM
If anyone has seen the new MG's in Europe, you'll understand... they ain't the MG's of yesteryear!

VCAMILO
09/11/2003, 10:08 AM
I'm on the waiting list....:yes:

VXMAN
09/11/2003, 10:18 AM
Looks like part Mustang, part Audi TT and the rear end of a Hyundai Tiburon! Not saying it looks bad, but I wouldn't buy it. I'd find something better to buy with my cash.
:D
Dave

IsuZOOM
09/11/2003, 10:56 AM
I see a lot of Mitsu Eclipse in the rear 3/4 shot.

paultvx
09/11/2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by VXMAN
Looks like part Mustang, part Audi TT and the rear end of a Hyundai Tiburon! Not saying it looks bad, but I wouldn't buy it. I'd find something better to buy with my cash.
:D
Dave

Don't worry... you can't buy it. You're nice and safe.

Heraclid
09/11/2003, 02:39 PM
Reminds me a bit of the Toyota RSC concept vehicle in that it isn't all that bad but there's a bit too much going on there and I think the design would benefit from being a tad less "busy".

BTW IsuZOOM, I have often thought the Mitsubishi Eclipses look like they could be related to the VX. Especially when comparing a silver one to my silver VX. Sporty looking, has that unconventional gas cap, and look at those doors. It's like someone took our door bumps and just pushed them in the other way.

paultvx
09/11/2003, 02:50 PM
If you talk to any serious DSM fans about the Y2K Eclipse, you will hear nothing but negative comments. The new one is in no way a continuation of what a Eclipse should be. Mitsubishi is turning their backs on the market that helped turn the company around... both in terms of brand image and sales. Things will only get worse with their new CEO... formerly Hyundai CEO who was quoted in saying he hopes to move the brand upscale and make the brand image more reserved with quiet maturity. Great recipe for killing your fan base. :thumbup:

Heraclid
09/11/2003, 06:53 PM
Geez, yeah, that doesn't sound so promising does it? Maybe his leaving is why Hyundai is getting better now. :-)

My brother had a '95 GS-T and that was definitely a fun little car. Guy around the corner from my parents' house has it now so I still see it a lot.

paultvx
09/11/2003, 11:24 PM
One of these days... I hope to build a 560 whp first generation AWD Eclipse.

Cheap start up cost... check.
Fast... check.
Potential to go even faster (yes, beyond 560 whp)... check.
Low insurance cost... check.
Sleeper factor... check.
AWD traction... check (50/50 split)
Potential for RWD conversion... check.
Everyday driveability... check.
Good gas mileage (as long as the pedal isn't mashed)... check.
Availability of parts... check.
Good weight balance/handling... check (banned from SCCA racing, too good for the competition).

Why pay $30,000 for an EVO (just to say you have one) when you can spend less than $20,000 for a totally rebuilt AWD Eclipse that'll eat Vipers for lunch without breaking a sweat? ;)

hchen
09/11/2003, 11:55 PM
ok that is one sick whip. some people gotta stop hating on other cars....isuzoom...plastic...yea...the vehicross looks very plastic with the side molding....to set it straight...

im proud to own a VX...but no it's not the best looking ride out there, not even close. it's not the most reliable 'cause it's isuzu. there are many many maaaaaany rides out tehre i'd exchange my VX for....including the Evo..'cause the price is just about the same and it's a lot better. i guess im venting a bit from all the studying and stuff but im also sick and tired of hearing people put down other cars and what not (im not talkigna bout everyoen) but there is a lot of hating going on in this forum. so now im gonna start some hating too. it's one thing to be proud of the car you own but it's another to be so negative about other rides...aite im done. probably doen with this forum too 'cause no more modifying the VX 'cause it's not worht the money in a couple years and gettin a bike.

please be more openminded instead of hating on every car out there 'cause the design is this and that...go design one yourself.

adios

JAFO
09/12/2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by hchen
...it's not the most reliable 'cause it's isuzu.
Just curious, do many of you think that Isuzus are not reliable?

My families experience, all purchased new, 1986 Trooper II 190K miles still own; 1999 Trooper 120K miles only reason my parents traded it was my mom finally desided that she wanted an automatic; 2002 Trooper 35Kmiles, currently own.

The only problem of the three is the '86 had to have the head gasket replaced at 150K. 12 years in Phoenix, AZ is brutal.

My experience '97 Jeep Wrangler. 8 months of continous brake problems, pads, rotors, calipers. Catalitic converter at 75K and there was three in the shop on the same day with almost exactly the same mileage. Like clockwork I guess.

I thought that the catalitic converter should last the lifetime of the vehicle, after all my parents '86 still has its original.

paultvx
09/12/2003, 01:37 AM
Fair observations. To some extent every car looks like another car (afterall they all have 4 wheels and tires, headlights, and taillights, etc.) Think about it, automotive technology has been pretty much the same since the day it started. It hasn't really changed much and we haven't put much effort into developing revolutionary technologies that would completely change automotive transportation and design as we know it. Given that, I think each car has to be appreciated (or not appreciated) as its own and in its own terms. Saying one car looks like another and deconstructing it that way, mentally and verbally, just isn't fair to the vision, talent, and effort of the designers. It's like saying a Van Gough masterpiece looks just like your co-worker's child's finger painting because they both have X colors in common... and therefor, because of the similarities, the VG masterpiece is of the same caliber as the result of the kid's first introduction to paint. To compare that MG (which, like the VX, is very unique and interesting in its own way) to a current generation Eclipse (once a decent concept... now a mere example of poor execution) is just... wrong.

The MG SV's design is a bit busy and over the top (same can be said for the VX). But, I love it because it is so rare and refreshing for automotive designers (in the corporate environment) to throw caution to the wind and let their imagination and creativity flow freely. They had the balls to push the boundaries and dared to turn their vision into reality, you have to respect them for that. Remember, it is to that spirit we owe the priviledge of owning our VXs. If the folks at Isuzu hadn't forged ahead with the same spirit and enthusiasm for their creative vision, we'd all be driving something else that is much more mundane. With that in mind... it is sad to see some take the VXs unique styling for granted. Not that people don't have the right to personalize their ride as they wish... but the things I've seen... it's just sad.

Dallas4u
09/12/2003, 08:39 AM
Again, I agree with Paul and, to a point, with hchen. There has been a lot of hating going on when other autos are mentioned. Why? Not sure. Most arguments are that the VX can beat "it" off road. Well, that is ONE good point... if that's what you bought the VX for, and the reason the other automobile was made as well. Most cars and many SUVs aren't meant to go off road, and most people won't take the VX off road anyway. I personally drive mine 90% ON the road, so those comparisons mean squat to me. ANYTHING I buy as my everyday ride will be kept on road around the same amount of time.

All the hating is stupid. We all know that most of us love our VXs... yeah, they are a great auto for price, performance, and looks. Let's quit being negative about any auto that is mentioned, unless you just don't like it... I have no problem with that. It just doesn't have to be compared to something (the VX) that many of us are so biased about.

By the way, regarding Isuzu reliability... I have always thought very highly of Isuzu in those regards. I have always heard the same in magazines and from others as well. Maybe others don't think so highly of them, but I still see MANY older Isuzus on the road, and have known others that still drive old Troopers and Rodeos around, and they have never had stories about them having serious problems that weren't beyond the owners fault.

Navigator
09/12/2003, 09:40 AM
... Could use a few more vents with mesh openings on the doors and rear pannels to keep the overall theme flowing, but beyond that I don't see any problem with that vehicle having mass appeal to it's target audience.

AnalogVX
09/12/2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by paultvx
If the folks at Isuzu hadn't forged ahead with the same spirit and enthusiasm for their creative vision, we'd all be driving something else that is much more mundane.

We could be driving Chrysler K cars still.

paultvx
09/12/2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by AnalogVX
We could be driving Chrysler K cars still.

That is a scary thought. *shudder*