PDA

View Full Version : Salt on Roads

sloop
01/19/2011, 12:22 PM
I am not sure if it will show. but all the talk lately about salt on roads and east coast vehicles. I lived out west and I knew they used salt on the roads so after some research I found that alot of States use salt maybe not to the extent as New York! but it is still salt My sisters car in Florida was never up north and she washed it alot but still rusted under all the Plastic from salt that was on the top and ran under the plastic from washing http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e155/LordKrs/roadsaltusuage1.jpg

JAMAS
01/19/2011, 12:53 PM
Apparently in North Dakota, you just deal with the snow on the roads.:)

samneil2000
01/19/2011, 01:09 PM

They use dog sleds and park the cars, right? :bgwb:

vt_maverick
01/19/2011, 01:32 PM
Paging LDub...

AlaskaVX
01/19/2011, 05:10 PM
We haven't used salt in AK for 10 years I think.

Ldub
01/19/2011, 08:21 PM

:yesgray:

Just like driving with tires that (according to some "experts") are WAY outta spec with regard to weight & diameter, we re-learn to drive after the first snowfall. Some get it, some...:_thinking

They use dog sleds and park the cars, right? :bgwb:

:laughing:

Paging LDub...

We use the ground up teeth from all the meth junkies for traction up here... Hey, it's more plentiful, & cheaper than sand...:smilewink

sloop
01/20/2011, 04:15 AM

sand and 3% to 5% salt started mix in 2005 or around there

WormGod
01/20/2011, 07:05 AM
I believe MD uses some form of acid. We need to trade in cars once every couple of years before we end up putting our feet through the floorboards.

vt_maverick
01/20/2011, 07:17 AM
Of course it doesn't help the undercarriage, but I'm so grateful for the cladding along the lower portion of the truck. I don't know how many vehicles I saw in WI that had rust holes around the wheel wells and rocker panels.

BigSwede
01/20/2011, 07:27 AM
ND uses little, if any salt. But then they don't have all that many cars to run into each other anyway... :laughing:

mdwyer
01/20/2011, 07:53 AM
Colorado is marked as "Sand or something else". The "something else" is a salt called Magnesium Chloride. They spray it down /before/ snow. It might be less corrosive than the usual road salt, but you still won't appreciate it when your car looks like a frosted mini-wheat.

Mag chloride sucks.

Cobrajet
01/20/2011, 10:53 AM
Mag chloride sucks.
Precipitation, in any form, treated or otherwise, SUCKS! (for driving, that is.)

Let is rain/snow between 10:00 PM and 2:00 AM, as long as the roads are dry in time for rush hour. :)

nfpgasmask
01/20/2011, 11:05 AM
That's weird that NV is on there. They DO NOT salt here in Reno, not as long as I have been here. Typically, they spray the roads with some sort of fine gravel to add traction, but I have not seen any salting on city streets or highways.

Bart

Y33TREKker
01/20/2011, 11:34 AM
Colorado is marked as "Sand or something else". The "something else" is a salt called Magnesium Chloride. They spray it down /before/ snow. It might be less corrosive than the usual road salt, but you still won't appreciate it when your car looks like a frosted mini-wheat.

Mag chloride sucks.
I lived in Colorado for awhile (Longmont/Boulder area), and at that time it was strictly cinder alone that was used. It had a tendency to make a vehicle look pretty bad, and I suppose it was an old school way of doing things, but for the most part it helped provide traction and didn't result in rusted-out body panels, so IMO it wasn't the worst method ever devised.

Y33TREKker
01/20/2011, 11:36 AM
Double post.

JAMAS
01/20/2011, 11:52 AM

Cuz the food is just that good? :)

klatshaw
01/20/2011, 02:08 PM
That's weird that NV is on there. They DO NOT salt here in Reno, not as long as I have been here. Typically, they spray the roads with some sort of fine gravel to add traction, but I have not seen any salting on city streets or highways.

Bart
Nevada dot
NDOT road weather information
systems pinpoint roads needing
salt, sand or brine, greatly
reducing use of all three products.
d State-of-the-art, computerized salt
and sand spreaders allow extreme
precision and efficiency of salt/
sand use.

nfpgasmask
01/20/2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah, maybe it depends on which municipality, but here in Reno they just spread sand, I have not seen salt.

Bart

Exclamation
01/25/2011, 04:37 PM
In NC where I live they have been using salt since I can remember but this year they started using some type of sprayable liquid and they coat the roads with it whenever we have a chance for snow. Not sure what chemical it is but might be better or worse than salt I dono

H3_VX
03/26/2012, 01:04 PM
Just to add to this thread instead of making another about rust, how much rust is too much and when should I start doing something about it? I was actually thinking about having a body shop take off my axles and such and having them sand and grind off as much rust as they can and then using por15 or some other rust prevenatative on it. I realize this might be very pricey, but would make a huge difference on looks and possibly prolong the life of some of my parts. Anybody else gone to this extreme on their VX or car?

circmand
03/26/2012, 01:15 PM
If I recall POR 15 actually changes the chemical structure of rust and seals to prevent future rust

maxprime
03/26/2012, 01:24 PM
If I recall POR 15 actually changes the chemical structure of rust and seals to prevent future rust
It changes to black oxide if I recall.

Scott Larson
03/26/2012, 07:09 PM
It's not really the driveline and/or frame and suspension components that you should be worrying about. Sure, they may look bad with some surface rust, but they are all of such a heavy gauge steel that rust-through is unlikely in all but the most extreme of cases. The body panels, seen and unseen, are the most prone to rust-through and should be protected accordingly. Thorough washing and treatment of all metal parts, whether frame and suspension or body panels is the only way to slow the ravages of winter. Not driving a vehicle at all in winter is the only sure-fired way of keeping rust at bay. WD-40 is an excellent rust preventative when applied after every wash during the salty season. Priming and painting ANY exposed metal should always be your first line of defense...:_snowplow

H3_VX
03/27/2012, 06:58 AM
It's not really the driveline and/or frame and suspension components that you should be worrying about. Sure, they may look bad with some surface rust, but they are all of such a heavy gauge steel that rust-through is unlikely in all but the most extreme of cases. The body panels, seen and unseen, are the most prone to rust-through and should be protected accordingly. Thorough washing and treatment of all metal parts, whether frame and suspension or body panels is the only way to slow the ravages of winter. Not driving a vehicle at all in winter is the only sure-fired way of keeping rust at bay. WD-40 is an excellent rust preventative when applied after every wash during the salty season. Priming and painting ANY exposed metal should always be your first line of defense...:_snowplow

So you don't recommend the sanding and/or grinding it off by a professional body guy?

Scott Larson
03/27/2012, 12:03 PM
If you've got the cash and the surface rust on the undercarriage bothers you that much, have at it. For what you'll get in return, I believe you're better off tackling that job yourself with some Rustoleum to shine things up down there and prevent further surface rust on the frame, etc.. Save the cash for things topside that are far more noticeable and by all means, keep 'er clean and shined all over to slow the decay. WD-40 really is an effective and affordable way to slow or stop rust and it makes everthing look clean and shiney and it stops squeeks. I periodically get under all my vehicles with a big ol' spray bottle of the stuff and spray it all down. I buy it by the gallon and use it in hand sprayers. It softens dried out rubber too and it will not harm paint, wiring, plastic or anything...Sure makes the cladding look nice! I shoulda bought stock in that company...:rotate:

BigSwede
03/27/2012, 12:20 PM
My 93 Trooper has no rust on the body but the frame is rotted...it was a Massachusetts car.

H3_VX
03/27/2012, 01:19 PM
If you've got the cash and the surface rust on the undercarriage bothers you that much, have at it. For what you'll get in return, I believe you're better off tackling that job yourself with some Rustoleum to shine things up down there and prevent further surface rust on the frame, etc.. Save the cash for things topside that are far more noticeable and by all means, keep 'er clean and shined all over to slow the decay. WD-40 really is an effective and affordable way to slow or stop rust and it makes everthing look clean and shiney and it stops squeeks. I periodically get under all my vehicles with a big ol' spray bottle of the stuff and spray it all down. I buy it by the gallon and use it in hand sprayers. It softens dried out rubber too and it will not harm paint, wiring, plastic or anything...Sure makes the cladding look nice! I shoulda bought stock in that company...:rotate:

Ok, So basically just get under there and spray it with WD-40? I'm gonna have a professional check it out anyway to see what he thinks. Maybe i'll take a pic and post and see what you think. I'm off tomorrow so maybe then.

Scott Larson
03/27/2012, 06:49 PM
My 93 Trooper has no rust on the body but the frame is rotted...it was a Massachusetts car.

I had a '86 Mazda B2000 Ext Cab that looked immaculate on the outside, yet the frame was rusted through in all kinds of places. It does happen, that's why I tend to keep everything well-washed and sprayed down with "the WD" so as to not see that sort of thing again. For the record, I bought the Mazda that way for a mere $400.00 as a winter beater and she served me well, right up until the time I snap-rolled it three times and yet the frame still didn't break, amazing...